IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday Match Day Thread

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning one all. 

On September 16th 1992 Trev or Francis made his first appearance for Sheffield Wednesday, as a player manager. Having finished the season 1991/2 in a remarkable 3rd place the Owls qualified for the UEFA Cup and faced Spora Luxembourg in the first round. That Thursday evening was a bitter sweet one for Francis; while it was Wednesday's first European fixture for 29 years, one they were expected to win and win they did, by a handsome 8-1 margin, it was also the night when a very bright young prospect in Paul Warhurst almost lost his life. The England under 21 talent had already been called up for the full team but this injury on this night in Hillsborough put paid to that and he never got another chance. Possibly one of the best players never to have played for his national team in the past half century along with the likes of Vince Hilaire, Gary Shaw, Howard Kendall, Jimmy Case, Billy Bonds and even Steve Bruce; what a huge waste of talent for the national game.

There were nearly 20,000 at Hillsborough on that autumn night in Yorkshire, not nearly enough to see the likes of Viv Anderson, Paul Warhurst and Chris Bart-Williams each score a brace, with Chris Waddle and Nigel Worthington finishing the rout. In the away fixture, which Wednesday also won, there were goals from Gordon Watson and that man Paul Warhurst again in a 2-1 victory and 10-2 on aggregate. 

Paul Warhurst had recently switched from defence as a stand in striker for the injured David Hurst and had scored 12 goals in 12 games hence his remarkable England call up; But in the 73rd minute that dream ended when he collided with Fernand Felton the goalkeeper of Spora, a club incidentally that no longer exists, as he scored his second and Wednesday's 7th of the night. After a 5 minute delay Warhurst was stretchered off unconscious, having swallowed his tongue, and rushed to hospital. 'He nearly died' Francis said later. Warhurst, being injured, was unable to help them avoid defeat to Kaiserslautern in the next round, going down 5-3 on aggregate. He began his career at Manchester City then Oldham Athletic before joining Wednesday in 1991 for £750,000. After he left Yorkshire he went on to play for Blackburn, in their successful years, followed by Palace, Bolton, Chesterfield, Barnsley, Carlisle, Grimsby, Blackpool, Forest Green Rovers, Wrexham and Barnet; the quintessential journeyman. He clocked up a total of 464 career appearances with a modest total of 33 goals with 18 of those coming at Wednesday in what was only partially spent as a striker which all ended on that fateful, bitter sweet night in Sheffield.

Wednesday had a cracking team back in the early 1990's and, since Francis left his post in 1995, after nearly 4 years in charge, he has not been beaten in matches managed, 214, and is, on a win percentage of 41.12, 3rd behind Gary Megson albeit with only a 1/4 of the matches managed and incumbent Carlos Carvalhal on 48.9% albeit after only 47 games. Francis should, probably, share some of the credit of that fabulous Wednesday team with his predecessor Ron Atkinson who handed over in June 1991.

I wrote significantly about the history of Sheffield Wednesday in the reverse fixture late last year, here below, but as you can see there is an OTIB error with the storage of the information, at least from what i can view. Many other posters' remarks are also missing. One for the Web Master to investigate. I shall not be repeating all of that today though.  ....

You may have noted the win percentage of current Wednesday manager. At 48+ % it is the highest since Harry Catterick in the late 50's. Irrelevant by any measure in large part since it is only 40+ matches and this is, after all, not the usual home of Wednesday; 66 v 34 seasons in the highest and 2nd tier respectively. However, credit where it is due. The Portugese has done a fairly solid job and the club should remain in or around the play offs in the final run in.

Today, however, is the time for their final blip of the season and for them to inadvertently take their feet off the gas. Can we win? Of course we can. Will Lee get his tactics right? For those going today this feels like a proper old fashioned football match between two teams from two large cities that both played significant roles in our industrial past. Lets bring the spoils home. 

2-1 Odemwinge and Flint.

UTC

Condensed Version

Sheffield Wednesday

A bank holiday oop North

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

If this is the team selection, I am afraid we will be hammered today, can't see that working. I will wait until I hear the team from RB until I believe this is true.

I got it off the club's Twitter, so doubt it's wrong.

And we'll see RE us getting hammered; plenty have said this before a ball has been kicked (particularly those not fans of LJ) and we've gone out and proven them wrong, so we'll see what the team does.

Personally not delighted with Bryan in defence, but a midfield of Korey and Pack always gives us a chance.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, samo II said:

I got it off the club's Twitter, so doubt it's wrong.

And we'll see RE us getting hammered; plenty have said this before a ball has been kicked (particularly those not fans of LJ) and we've gone out and proven them wrong, so we'll see what the team does.

Personally not delighted with Bryan in defence, but a midfield of Korey and Pack always gives us a chance.

It's been confirmed on RB now, Golborne and Wilbs both injured so apart from using Ayling, who I presume is out of favour, I don't suppose LJ had much choice at the back. I don't understand why he's left Peter on the bench, unless he intends to use him as an impact sub, as Wilbs not available.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ouch ,   :punish:

Sounds harsh I know but it really would be some achievement for your main playmaker to go a season without creating a goal (from open play), and that for me shows why he lost his place. 

Doubly disappointing as I think most had him down as the most likely to easily settle into life at this level. 

2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It's been confirmed on RB now, Golborne and Wilbs both injured so apart from using Ayling, who I presume is out of favour, I don't suppose LJ had much choice at the back. I don't understand why he's left Peter on the bench, unless he intends to use him as an impact sub, as Wilbs not available.

I took it from the club's Twitter; it was confirmed before I even posted it here - not sure I can be clearer than I have been.

And PO is 34 and has played 155 mins of football already this week without having got many mins before that this season. so imagine he's neededing resting.  Can't imagine he'll not play a good 20-30 mins later.

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

I took it from the club's Twitter; it was confirmed before I even posted it here - not sure I can be clearer than I have been.

And PO is 34 and has played 155 mins of football already this week without having got many mins before that this season. so imagine he's neededing resting.  Can't imagine he'll not play a good 20-30 mins later.

I don't do Twitter here so have to rely on my RB link.  I think you are right about Peter has to be used the same as Wilbs, but as you say, I think he will be used later on.

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Very mobile attack minded side matches the Wendies style of play but as they've been playing this way successfully all season I would imagine they'll be better at it than us.

So ' Football ' go on and surprise me .:sign09:

This is what I was thinking. They don't have a huge midfield but if we are trying to beat them at their own game it could be a long day 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Man flu! This is fell-a-rhino flu!

I went to my doctors and she said " so what seems to be the problem ? " the instant i started to describe the problem she put on a surgical mask and gloves . If she'd had a combination suit i'm sure she'd have put on too .:gasmask:

She explained that she'd already had this virus and that it is a really nasty piece of work so she did n't want to risk catching it again !

Just did n't realise you could catch it on an internet forum . :shocking:

Edited by Major Isewater