IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

DavidNoble

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's factually incorrect.

Cotterill's 'fixation with 3-5-2' came only after after he visited successful clubs in several countries to talk to their managers, study their training methods and find out what made them successful.

He came back determined to be successful in England playing 3-5-2, which of course he was at City, and may well have continued to be so had he been able to upgrade personnel to suit the system.

Of course, he has had previous success in the Championship (longest serving Championship manager at Burnley) without using 3-5-2, so the system is a relatively new project for him rather than a 'fixed ideal'.

I think he'll make it work again elsewhere, and it'll be a very fortunate club with ecstatic fans when he does.

Good luck to him.

Absolutely true and very well put.

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Look at his Stats...and he does quiet well with teams League 1 and below.

Championship and above...he loses more than he wins.

In fact it's quiet a big jump in percentage wins from Championship compared to lower leagues.

That's the facts for all to see.

Think he might do well at somewhere like Sheff Utd.

Against LJ who won 1 more than he lost at Oldham and 2 more than he lost at Barnsley both in league 1, yet we still took him on.

Also didn't you say recently that stats don't tell the whole story?.

What I just can't begin to understand is how we seem to get so many comments which verge on disrespectful/dismissive about Steve. I'll always remember how he took over from the frightening O'Driscoll when we were on our way to the basement. He steadied the ship, he kept us up and some.... then according to some which imo is rubbish, he bought L1 . Last season was pretty much the best I've ever had as a BCFC supporter and irrespective of the balls up in the summer, Steve will always be a hero to me and I can only ever be grateful for the fact that he gave me ( and the rest of us) the season we'd all been waiting   40+ years for.

IMO.

P.s And whilst I'm having a rant- that GJ bloke is also pretty brilliant and is just about to take his second West country club into the football league.

Edit: # **** Warnock

39 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well Dean Holdsworth's consortium bought Bolton for £1 then immediately handed over £7.5m as working capital for the rest of this season and then provided an extra £10m as proof of future funding so they may have more than you think now...

I wonder How far into next season will £10m go if £7.5m only gets them through the rest of this season?  Not an easy job for anyone.  I'd leave it alone.

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

In fact it's quiet a big jump in percentage wins from Championship compared to lower leagues.

Stistically that's correct, but it's not quite apples vs apples....you have to take into account the clubs he's managed relative to their league.  Not me trying to be clever, just stating that it's harder to have a good win % at a less than average club for the division they're in.  Reverse applies too. :shifty:

See Paul Williams is carrying a bit of timber now a days.

If my memory recalls didn't he go in goal when we played Derby away and it was live on West Match Plus.

We were getting well dicked then their keeper got sent off and we ending up winning 3-4 :)

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

See Paul Williams is carrying a bit of timber now a days.

If my memory recalls didn't he go in goal when we played Derby away and it was live on West Match Plus.

We were getting well dicked then their keeper got sent off and we ending up winning 3-4 :)

Some Derby guy came on and promptly scored an OG ?

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

The unnecessary jibes against SC since he left are just that, unnecessary, but think that one deserves further scrutiny in terms of his 2 main spells in the Championship other than with us.

SC spent 3 years at Burnley in the Championship and won 55 and lost 56. Burnley fans recognize that they were punching above their weight at that time and in general have praise for him.

At Forest SC inherited the mess which the serially inept Steve McClaren left him and took them one from bottom (with Bristol City below incidentally) to comfortably avoiding relegation by 10 points.

Those are also facts mate.

30 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Against LJ who won 1 more than he lost at Oldham and 2 more than he lost at Barnsley both in league 1, yet we still took him on.

Also didn't you say recently that stats don't tell the whole story?.

Indeed they don't show the whole story...but considering he's been in management longer than LJ, his stats gives a better mean average and indication to his abilities.

That's why I think he would do well at a league 1 Club.

The only thing that stops SC being successful at this level, is imo, SC himself.

SC became 'fixated' with playing in a very rigid formation that didn't work...he refused to budge on it.

The fact JP, Wade and LJ changed things so quickly and quiet easily, shows imo, that we do have the players to compete at this level...SC just refused to budge on his beliefs.

The fact JP and Wade changed formation straight away, used the whole squad and used Subs in a logical manner, and brought about instant change, proves to me that the people working closest to SC didn't believe in what SC was doing. SC completely lost the plot and became manic...you've only got to go back and watch his interviews to see that.

Perhaps he should have also 'studied' how the best coach's adapt to situations when things aren't going to plan.

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The unnecessary jibes against SC since he left are just that, unnecessary, but think that one deserves further scrutiny in terms of his 2 main spells in the Championship other than with us.

SC spent 3 years at Burnley in the Championship and won 55 and lost 56. Burnley fans recognize that they were punching above their weight at that time and in general have praise for him.

At Forest SC inherited the mess which the serially inept Steve McClaren left him and took them one from bottom (with Bristol City below incidentally) to comfortably avoiding relegation by 10 points.

Those are also facts mate.

Who's making unnecessary jibes...I've stated that imo he would make a good league 1 manager. How's that a jibe? It's a compliment in my book.

As for Burnley...you are correct...those are the facts. I'll disagree with what you say about their fans praising him though. Every Burnley fan I've known who spoke about SC dislike him. The people I know who work for Burnley detest him. However...they did say he would get promotion for us out of League 1.

And yes...he avoided relegation with Forest.

But like I implied...all his time in the Championship he has lost more games than won....with absolutely awful stats for us in the Championship...something like a 12% win rate...the worst by any City manager if memory serves me right...open to correction on that.

I can't see why people can't be happy for him doing what he did for us in League 1...that's an awesome achievement.

Why people think he was hard done by, and deserved more here makes no sense...especially when you see the up turn in results since he left.

Either way...we've been over this a thousand times...you love the bloke and won't hear a bad word said about him. Fair enough.

Roger

Cheap shot number 2.

one thing Cotts has done since his sacking is that he has stayed classy and not slagged off the club or owner - in fact those who have spoken to him say he wishes us nothing but good.

Shame you couldn't follow his example and resist all the ignorant cheap shots. Move on - he has.

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Roger

Cheap shot number 2.

one thing Cotts has done since his sacking is that he has stayed classy and not slagged off the club or owner - in fact those who have spoken to him say he wishes us nothing but good.

Shame you couldn't follow his example and resist all the ignorant cheap shots. Move on - he has.

Really? You know everyone he's spoken to?

If you are a City fan I can guarantee he'll be lovely, charming and make you feel like the best fan in the world...and he will appreciate you taking the time to speak to him and be very open and pleasant.

Go and speak to a few Agents and scouts and coach's and you might get a broader more balanced view.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's factually incorrect.

Cotterill's 'fixation with 3-5-2' came only after after he visited successful clubs in several countries to talk to their managers, study their training methods and find out what made them successful.

He came back determined to be successful in England playing 3-5-2, which of course he was at City, and may well have continued to be so had he been able to upgrade personnel to suit the system.

Of course, he has had previous success in the Championship (longest serving Championship manager at Burnley) without using 3-5-2, so the system is a relatively new project for him rather than a 'fixed ideal'.

I think he'll make it work again elsewhere, and it'll be a very fortunate club with ecstatic fans when he does.

Good luck to him.

What a great post. Nice to hear some sense at last

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Indeed they don't show the whole story...but considering he's been in management longer than LJ, his stats gives a better mean average and indication to his abilities.

That's why I think he would do well at a league 1 Club.

The only thing that stops SC being successful at this level, is imo, SC himself.

SC became 'fixated' with playing in a very rigid formation that didn't work...he refused to budge on it.

The fact JP, Wade and LJ changed things so quickly and quiet easily, shows imo, that we do have the players to compete at this level...SC just refused to budge on his beliefs.

The fact JP and Wade changed formation straight away, used the whole squad and used Subs in a logical manner, and brought about instant change, proves to me that the people working closest to SC didn't believe in what SC was doing. SC completely lost the plot and became manic...you've only got to go back and watch his interviews to see that.

Perhaps he should have also 'studied' how the best coach's adapt to situations when things aren't going to plan.

Who's making unnecessary jibes...I've stated that imo he would make a good league 1 manager. How's that a jibe? It's a compliment in my book.

As for Burnley...you are correct...those are the facts. I'll disagree with what you say about their fans praising him though. Every Burnley fan I've known who spoke about SC dislike him. The people I know who work for Burnley detest him. However...they did say he would get promotion for us out of League 1.

And yes...he avoided relegation with Forest.

But like I implied...all his time in the Championship he has lost more games than won....with absolutely awful stats for us in the Championship...something like a 12% win rate...the worst by any City manager if memory serves me right...open to correction on that.

I can't see why people can't be happy for him doing what he did for us in League 1...that's an awesome achievement.

Why people think he was hard done by, and deserved more here makes no sense...especially when you see the up turn in results since he left.

Either way...we've been over this a thousand times...you love the bloke and won't hear a bad word said about him. Fair enough.

He is still a vastly, vastly superior manager to Mr S O'Driscoll

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Maybe you only know Burnley.......... "scouts, coaches and agents"......... because for example the majority of fans on here:

http://boards.footymad.net/clarets-mad/2109605941/?pg=1#287IO2LMexwPJhy2.97

think he did a good job, perhaps best summarised by this:

I'd be interested to see what he'd do with a team with money to spend in the Championship because the only season where he spent more than he sold with us he had us up to 4th before that epic win-less streak which was surely influenced in no small part by us losing our only real goalscorer for 3 or 4 months to injury.

Its also interesting that while they appreciate what he did for them (the words "indebted" and "gratitude" crop up quite a lot) their main criticism of SC on that forum was his rigidity to a 4-4-2 system and boring football - well nobody could criticise him for that at Ashton Gate.

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Maybe you only know Burnley.......... "scouts, coaches and agents"......... because for example the majority of fans on here:

I'd be interested to see what he'd do with a team with money to spend in the Championship because the only season where he spent more than he sold with us he had us up to 4th before that epic win-less streak which was surely influenced in no small part by us losing our only real goalscorer for 3 or 4 months to injury.

Its also interesting that while they appreciate what he did for them (the words "indebted" and "gratitude" crop up quite a lot) their main criticism of SC on that forum was his rigidity to a 4-4-2 system and boring football - well nobody could criticise him for that at Ashton Gate.

There is also this from another Burnley fan. Wow.

He wasn't good for us at the time, he was amazing for us. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been in the Championship for us to win promotion in 2009. We'd surely have been relegated to league one or worse. People don't seem to appreciate that while Coyle deserves the credit for actually getting us promoted, it was Cotterill that made it possible in the first place, against all the odds.

He should be revered as a legend, but barely keeping clubs afloat with no money and having to sell your best every season isn't sexy.
Read more at http://boards.footymad.net/clarets-mad/2109605941/#gDGlr7oOpHxdlyrO.99

11 minutes ago, NickJ said:

To be fair to you Nick...I've had a look through that link...and it has just as many people saying the same things as on this forum...it goes from one extreme to another.

One person says he's a legend...others say Burnley were better off without him...he ground out results...known as the crucifier because of that...fans saying he's found his level. Your link shows exactly the same as this forum...a mixed bag. SC is marmite.

So pulling out one post doesn't show how that forum feels...it's completely mixed.

You should think of going into 'Spin' for a politician Nick...think you maybe good at that ;-)

I really don't see what your point is...showing me what forum members on a Burnley forum isn't going to change my mind. It has in fact underlined everything I believe...that SC is marmite...loved by some, loathed by others.

We can agree to disagree.

You can criticise the man and appreciate him at the same time. It's the nature of being a manager. I loved every bit of last year. I hated every bit of this year. It doesn't take away last years achievements but keeping him would've most likely meant playing for the same things next year. All clubs want to progress and we weren't this year under SC. Overall he was a success for the club but that doesn't mean everyone has to have a positive opinion about him. His first 25 games in the championship with us were almost as bad as it can get. He was stubborn with game policy and ungracious in losing. That's football though. Some amazing highs and some dreadful lows. Usually there is a progression one way or the other. We just had our highs and were immediately smacked in the face with lows. SC I'll remember fondly for what he's done but he's only got himself to blame for being gone and you can express that opinion without disliking his whole managerial career here. 

Archived