IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

DavidNoble

4 minutes ago, twodogs said:

No, seriously, we're doing the LJ bit again:mf_sleep:

Nick lets leave that until the next defeat/victory /draw or:P even next season

I thought I was bad with SoD...but after meeting SC it's become intolerable and blinkered...almost obsessive ;-)

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Indeed it does PB...However haven't slagged him off and neither have others.

Funnily I remember talking to a certain ex manager of ours that's considered a bit of a legend by some. It was in amongst a group of five people at Cheltenham cricket festival. Football was being spoken about, and for some reason he started slagging the Club off, the board and it's fans. When someone else said they were good friends and played golf with one of our ex players and another ex manager, he changed his tone completely and made like it was a joke.

People just seem to get highly offended when someone dares question SC's qualities as a Championship manager.

Can't imagine GJ doing anything like this as he's very fond of the club. Unless you're on about someone else, but I've no idea who it would be.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Funnily I remember talking to a certain ex manager of ours that's considered a bit of a legend by some. It was in amongst a group of five people at Cheltenham cricket festival. Football was being spoken about, and for some reason he started slagging the Club off, the board and it's fans. When someone else said they were good friends and played golf with one of our ex players and another ex manager, he changed his tone completely and made like it was a joke.

People just seem to get highly offended when someone dares question SC's qualities as a Championship manager.

Sam Hollis 

Bob Campbell 

Harry Thickitt 

Frank Bacon 

George Hedley 

Jack Hamilton 

Joe Palmer

Alex Raisbeck 

Joe Bradshaw 

Bob Hewison

ClarrieBourton 

Bob Wright 

Pat Beasley 

Peter Doherty 

Fred Ford 

Alan Dicks 

Bob Houghton 

Roy Hodgson 

Terry Cooper 

Joe Jordan 

Jimmy Lumsden 

Denis Smith

Russell Osman 

Joe Jordan 

John Ward 

Benny Lennartsson 

Tony Pulis 

Tony Fawthrop

Danny Wilson 

Brian Tinnion 

Gary Johnson 

Steve Coppell 

Keith Millen 

Derek McInnes 

Sean O'Driscoll 

Steve Cotterill 

I had a think about it and narrowed it down to one of these :read:

10 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree his next job will probably be 1st division and I agree never say never about a championship club, but your post meandered into qualifications and owners taking risks and LJ is certainly a risk.

The appointment of any manager is a risk. Most didn't think the appointment of Coppell was too risky at the time.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

If attracting a manager previously sitting at 18th in League One - with one of the bigger teams in that division - is the best we can aspire to I seriously worry mate.

In the context of appointing a young, upcoming manager then yes, as I've said, he probably is about the best we could aspire to. I'd imagine the fact he knows the club well would've also counted in his favour.

Of course, if we were going down the route of appointing an experienced manager and simply judging on successes on the CV we maybe could've got someone with a better proven track-record.

That doesn't appear to be the route the club wanted to take though. I have doubts, given our perilous position at the time, that a Nigel Pearson type would've wanted to join the club anyway.

LJ has done the business so far, no doubting that. You pointed out a couple of weeks back that you felt our run-in was tougher than some people thought. Well, LJ has won 6 from 11 and effectively saved us from relegation with 5 games to spare - nobody, I repeat nobody, would've envisaged that back in mid-January.

14 hours ago, spudski said:

Not really just at the venom that is attached by some.

14 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

His credentials of what he did at Oldham and Barnsley... Harry (the poster) posted a very good article a while back when LJ was appointed, notably off field as well as on field. How you can compare L1 managers to Championship is ridiculous in terms of level of competition.

Just for the record SC's half season was appalling upto the last 12 games or so plus Johnson Sr lost 9/10 games from his first 12 so not quite the same

Edit:- that was in response to EMB

Well there you go probably a testament to SC that LJ took over a united dressing room unlike SC who took over a confused dressing room destined for league 2 and GJ took over alcoholics unanimous fight club.

Interesting to see the number of the original Cotterill 'haters' on this thread - although that word hardly does justice to the extent of the biliousness of their ingrained loathing.

To state SC definitely won't get a Championship job is nonsense. He's proven at this level - for the nth time of repeating he kept Burnley stable in this division for several seasons at a time when they were very much a selling club and being stable in the Championship was the very best they could hope for.

He may well not of course. First and foremost he'll be looking for a challenge, a project similar to Bristol City where he can take a struggling club with potential forward quickly. He'll also no doubt be telling his prospective employers his intention will be to achieve this by mostly playing 3-5-2 and he will expect them to upgrade his squad to get better players to continue this as and when they move up the league ladder.

Many club Chairmen will have noted Cotterill's success last season from playing against City, and others from all levels would have been envious of the tremendous praise BCFC and SC's style of football were attracting both from those inside the game and the national media. Many would crave such success and positive attention for their own club and SC is an available manager who's shown he can transform a slumbering club in double quick time.

They would need to understand the struggles of BCFC this season at the higher level were not all down to him by any means and be willing to back him both financially and through the inevitable occasional hard times.

What SC will be looking for is a Chairman who genuinely and steadfastly shares his vision for their club and such a Chairman could as likely be at Championship level as any other.

What SC will seek to avoid is a club who have already earmarked an ex player as their next/future manager for little more obvious reason than the board got on well with him - his inevitable appointment apparently in no way dependent on having proved himself elsewhere - because he'll know this club has plans which could deviate quickly from the long term plan he had originally thrashed out at interview. Cotterill will certainly have a choice of suitors but he'll be looking more closely at the individuals at the top than the division the club is currently in and if he finds such a like minded Chairman/board the chances are high he will not only bring that club success very quickly but in such an entertaining fashion that their fans will talk of his tenure warmly far into the future.

It'll be very interesting to see where SC ends up. It may well be L1, but if so it'll probably be a big club for that division with ambitions for immediate promotion.I doubt even those on here who have always disliked him intensely would bet against him achieving that, and then we'll see just what fist he makes of his next assault on the Championship under a grateful board of directors with reason to believe in him, and who are determined to do everything in their power to help him succeed further, and back him to the hilt in every way.

I suspect we'll all follow SC's next appointment very closely, both those of us who will always appreciate what he did at BCFC and wish him every success, and those who could never bring themselves to do either.

I have nothing but good will for the job Cotterill did here and I genuinely hope he goes on to great things with another club. BUT for all the chewing of fat over who's fault it was that we didn't make the right signings last summer, Cotterill ultimately lost his job because he refused to change his tactics and refused to use the resources provided to him, regardless of whether he felt those resources were sufficient and that's why he lost his job. Now if I were chairman of a club looking for a new manager, his success on the pitch would mean I'd definitely want to consider him, but his apparent inflexibility and 'issues' would mean that I'd also have some concerns

As I said, I'd love to see him do well somewhere else and have nothing but love for the guy for THAT season as a City fan, but I suspect he'll still be regarded as a bit of a risk- especially at Championship level- by many chairmen/owners

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

To state SC definitely won't get a Championship job is nonsense (1). He's proven at this level - for the nth time of repeating he kept Burnley stable in this division for several seasons at a time when they were very much a selling club and being stable in the Championship was the very best they could hope for (2).

He may well not of course. First and foremost he'll be looking for a challenge, a project similar to Bristol City where he can take a struggling club with potential forward quickly. He'll also no doubt be telling his prospective employers his intention will be to achieve this by mostly playing 3-5-2 and he will expect them to upgrade his squad to get better players to continue this as and when they move up the league ladder (3).

Many club Chairmen will have noted Cotterill's success last season from playing against City, and others from all levels would have been envious of the tremendous praise BCFC and SC's style of football were attracting both from those inside the game and the national media. Many would crave such success and positive attention for their own club and SC is an available manager who's shown he can transform a slumbering club in double quick time.

They would need to understand the struggles of BCFC this season at the higher level were not all down to him by any means and be willing to back him both financially and through the inevitable occasional hard times (4) .

What SC will seek to avoid is a club who have already earmarked an ex player as their next/future manager for little more obvious reason than the board got on well with him - his inevitable appointment apparently in no way dependent on having proved himself elsewhere - because he'll know this club has plans which could deviate quickly from the long term plan he had originally thrashed out at interview (5).

It'll be very interesting to see where SC ends up. It may well be L1, but if so it'll probably be a big club for that division with ambitions for immediate promotion (6).I doubt even those on here who have always disliked him intensely would bet against him achieving that, and then we'll see just what fist he makes of his next assault on the Championship under a grateful board of directors with reason to believe in him, and who are determined to do everything in their power to help him succeed further, and back him to the hilt in every way.

I suspect we'll all follow SC's next appointment very closely, both those of us who will always appreciate what he did at BCFC and wish him every success, and those who could never bring themselves to do either.

(1) Nobody has said that.

(2) If he's proven at this level, why would he only attract firm interest from L1 clubs? He will surely land another job back in the Championship.

(3) A decision to persist in playing 3-5-2 would of course ring alarm bells with any Championship board. L1 fine.

(4) They'll have also noticed that SC was taking BCFC back to L1 until he was sacked. They will note under LJ we have improved drastically and been able to recruit players that have made a difference whilst LF has also got the best out of the likes of Kodjia, Flint and Reid.

(5) Did SC even have an interview at City? He was already very well known to two key board members a 'friend' to the board if you like, so I'm doubtful a formal interview even took place. One could in fact say that like LJ, SC got on well with our board and his appointment was also inevitable. Indeed, his possible appointment as City manager had been mentioned many times on here pre-2014.

(6) Before he came to BCFC he appeared to be struggling to get a management job. His other offer he got just before us was from L2 S****horpe. He was coaching at QPR prior to us, maybe that's a route he'll take again this time?

I don't see why he wouldn't get a job back in the Championship. He'd need a break first (which by the Summer he'll have had) but he's a good motivator and an adequate tactician. He's proven to be able to manage a club and I wouldn't be surprised if many in football outside of Bristol City think he was pretty hard done by (he wasn't).

I also don't see why he would necessarily stick with 3-5-2. I think the staggering overperformance of the team last season and the pressure he was under this season caused him to stick with the tactic for too long but I'm sure given a break and a new club he would assess his new team objectively and choose the best style for the job. He might then persist with it for too long again but I think it was more a case of him being overly attached to his team and the way they played last year than the 3-5-2 system itself.

15 hours ago, spudski said:

He hasn't mate...just a term I probably shouldn't have used.

No worries, I thought I'd missed a chunk of his career.

I know he was at Stoke for a short while but that was second tier and then he was coach at Sunderland but not number one?

He's definitely a cool league one boss and if I was owner of a club in that div I'd grab him now...but would also be preparing to appoint a championship manager if and when he got promotion....

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

(3) A decision to persist in playing 3-5-2 would of course ring alarm bells with any Championship board. L1 fine.

That, with respect, is bollocks. A refusal to change formation when things are going badly would ring alarm bells. But 3-5-2 not working in the championship here doesn't mean it won't elsewhere with different players.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

That, with respect, is bollocks. A refusal to change formation when things are going badly would ring alarm bells. But 3-5-2 not working in the championship here doesn't mean it won't elsewhere with different players.

A refusal to change formation...which is what happened here. Even today Freeman was asked "what's turned things around?" And cites the change in formation. 

As for 352 working elsewhere - where is it working in Cship or Prem?

13 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm not saying...but no to your answer...Doh! Given that one away haha...

John Ward not being too fond of City wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I thoroughly enjoyed his time here but he did leave under slightly shambolic circumstances and, over the course of his career, has been a lot more gas than City.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting to see the number of the original Cotterill 'haters' on this thread - although that word hardly does justice to the extent of the biliousness of their ingrained loathing.

To state SC definitely won't get a Championship job is nonsense. He's proven at this level - for the nth time of repeating he kept Burnley stable in this division for several seasons at a time when they were very much a selling club and being stable in the Championship was the very best they could hope for.

He may well not of course. First and foremost he'll be looking for a challenge, a project similar to Bristol City where he can take a struggling club with potential forward quickly. He'll also no doubt be telling his prospective employers his intention will be to achieve this by mostly playing 3-5-2 and he will expect them to upgrade his squad to get better players to continue this as and when they move up the league ladder.

They would need to understand the struggles of BCFC this season at the higher level were not all down to him by any means and be willing to back him both financially and through the inevitable occasional hard times.

What SC will be looking for is a Chairman who genuinely and steadfastly shares his vision for their club and such a Chairman could as likely be at Championship level as any other.

What SC will seek to avoid is a club who have already earmarked an ex player as their next/future manager for little more obvious reason than the board got on well with him - his inevitable appointment apparently in no way dependent on having proved himself elsewhere - because he'll know this club has plans which could deviate quickly from the long term plan he had originally thrashed out at interview. Cotterill will certainly have a choice of suitors but he'll be looking more closely at the individuals at the top than the division the club is currently in and if he finds such a like minded Chairman/board the chances are high he will not only bring that club success very quickly but in such an entertaining fashion that their fans will talk of his tenure warmly far into the future.

It'll be very interesting to see where SC ends up. It may well be L1, but if so it'll probably be a big club for that division with ambitions for immediate promotion.I doubt even those on here who have always disliked him intensely would bet against him achieving that, and then we'll see just what fist he makes of his next assault on the Championship under a grateful board of directors with reason to believe in him, and who are determined to do everything in their power to help him succeed further, and back him to the hilt in every way.

Good post

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A refusal to change formation...which is what happened here. Even today Freeman was asked "what's turned things around?" And cites the change in formation. 

As for 352 working elsewhere - where is it working in Cship or Prem?

I said could work, not that it is working, though Man Utd have used it on and off under LVG. Watford used it last season getting promoted out the Championship, Wigan regularly used it prior to their relegation. Looking abroad and Juve used it with a lot of success, Ajax in the past, and the Netherlands (again under LVG) 

Defo Ward that slagged us off in the presence of Spud, think that is nailed on

And I would suggest that SC & Bolton are a perfect fit. They will be a massive club at that level next season, there to be shot at - and he'll love every minute of it. Wonder if he'd send Clough down for talks, I'd like us to go back in for him. Then pull the deal just as we've agreed a massive contract and signing on fee. See how much the little**** and his old man chuckle on the way home then

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

John Ward not being too fond of City wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I thoroughly enjoyed his time here but he did leave under slightly shambolic circumstances and, over the course of his career, has been a lot more gas than City.

He's a Lincoln City fan. Both Bristol clubs were no more than employers to him.

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Defo Ward that slagged us off in the presence of Spud, think that is nailed on

And I would suggest that SC & Bolton are a perfect fit. They will be a massive club at that level next season, there to be shot at - and he'll love every minute of it. Wonder if he'd send Clough down for talks, I'd like us to go back in for him. Then pull the deal just as we've agreed a massive contract and signing on fee. See how much the little**** and his old man chuckle on the way home then

Bolton want Chris Wilder of Northampton apparently.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's a Lincoln City fan. Both Bristol clubs were no more than employers to him.

Possibly, but I spent an afternoon with him in the Cartwheel Pub in Whitchurch on a hazy Sunday when he was with us, Colin Cramb was with us too! Both had nothing but great things to say about our club, and both genuinely sounded like they had real affection for our club...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Possibly, but I spent an afternoon with him in the Cartwheel Pub in Whitchurch on a hazy Sunday when he was with us, Colin Cramb was with us too! Both had nothing but great things to say about our club, and both genuinely sounded like they had real affection for our club...

I've no doubt. He never struck me as anything less than a nice man and a good egg. 

Archived