Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidNoble

Steve Cotterill

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Tbf someone pointed out that he fell out with the board and lost his enthusiasm last summer, he should've walked then if he felt he was let down by the board.. he jeopardised the clubs position in the Championship and his own credibility by staying. Just seems totally unprofessional.

He was at fault for alot on the pitch, playing Wilbs to the point he was shattered and ineffective, tactics didn't work, his failure to try and change the game if its going against us where in my opinion LJ excels at.. our defence was terrible, we weren't scoring towards the end and it was pretty much just awful to witness as bad as McInnes's last days if not worse, sometimes he was oblivious to what was happening on the pitch highlighted by his post Reading interview.

Lot of fair comment in that, and as our manager we wanted him to rise above whatever was going on.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Promotion?, the only championship for over 60 years, FFS even Rovers won a championship after Jordan's team surrendered at Twerton, yes we have been mediocre and hopefully that is changing, however I do agree about the timing of his dismissal, that was somebody else's decision.

But please he's gone and we now have a proper team in place that seem to be going in the right direction, so let's get behind LJ until the inevitable happens either he gets a better offer or he gets sacked and then it'll be his turn in the barrel.

I'm certainly getting behind LJ, but I'm also not forgetting the job Cotts did for us.  There were lots more positive things in his reign than negative things.  Not everyone is gonna love Cotts.  I would love to spend several hours in the company of Cotts talking football, given half a chance.  The insight would be amazing.  I look forward to his next managerial role.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

If a manager has performed to the extent that the club has outgrown them, that does not show a weakness in a manager it shows a strength. Just the same as a manager who has grown quicker than a club. 

SC had a task. To save us and then to build us. The fact he did it so damn quickly shows what a good job he did. The fact we outgrew him shows just what a good job he did.

I can forgive and forget his ego in thinking he might catch up, we have a board to decide when he cannot. The man will forevermore get nothing but the utmost respect and praise from me for his tenure here. 

Brilliant summing up :clapping:

'I think my way of summing it up is that there were several cogs at City not working together.  Cotts sorted out the 'first team' cog and at least started allowed a process that with LJ at the helm, MA in place, etc to align all of the cogs to work together.  Sometimes you have to start the ball rolling without being there at the end.  LJ will take a lot of the plaudits, and rightly so, but we might not be seeing LJ here, had Cotts not taken over when he did.  

Ifs, buts, and maybes indeed, but had we gone down in 13/14, I very much doubt we'd have seen back to back promotions in 14/15 and then 15/16....plus a position of strength to recruit a squad like we now have.

i totally appreciate that I come across as a super-Cotts fan, but ignoring the trophies he got us moving on the right direction.

There are plenty of clubs with delusions of grandeur, who thought getting out League One is easy, or about throwing a few quid at it....cough, cough, Sheffield Utd, Peterbrough (although book-balancing), Coventry etc, would be the answer. Coots and his back room team did recruit the best, but also built them into a unit that got us promotion first time around.

i know we finished 13/14 strongly, but to think we might go up as Chzmpions, and easily, was a effing achievement and a half.

I can't wait to see Cotts's next managerial challenge...got a helluva lot to be thankful to him for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You may well be joking and I've misunderstood but that section is clearly about a manager

I'm confused... Appleton was Kitson's manager at Pompey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I'm confused... Appleton was Kitson's manager at Pompey. 

And his manager at Oxford. Oh and FYI Kitson left Portsmouth before Appleton did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Red Rich said:

And his manager at Oxford. Oh and FYI Kitson left Portsmouth before Appleton did. 

Yeh, but there's nothing in that paragraph to suggest that kitson was still at the club when the coach left. All very 3rd person. 

Didn't realise the Oxford thing. I couldn't find a game where Pompey got smashed in the first half under either Cotts or Appleton. 

I'll now check Appleton. 

Edit: just realised it can't be Appleton at oxford because he's still there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh, but there's nothing in that paragraph to suggest that kitson was still at the club when the coach left. All very 3rd person. 

Didn't realise the Oxford thing. I couldn't find a game where Pompey got smashed in the first half under either Cotts or Appleton. 

I'll now check Appleton. 

Edit: just realised it can't be Appleton at oxford because he's still there. 

Read it again, especially the last paragraph! For the record I have no axe to grind against SC!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Read it again, especially the last paragraph! For the record I have no axe to grind against SC!!!!!

Yep I had heard from someone who would know that it was about SC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

Read it again, especially the last paragraph! For the record I have no axe to grind against SC!!!!!

I'm not suggesting that you do, but equally the last paragraph could equally apply to Appleton as it could Cotts. Cotts went to Forest, Appleton to Blackpool....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20205238

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 29AR said:

If a manager has performed to the extent that the club has outgrown them, that does not show a weakness in a manager it shows a strength. Just the same as a manager who has grown quicker than a club. 

SC had a task. To save us and then to build us. The fact he did it so damn quickly shows what a good job he did. The fact we outgrew him shows just what a good job he did.

I can forgive and forget his ego in thinking he might catch up, we have a board to decide when he cannot. The man will forevermore get nothing but the utmost respect and praise from me for his tenure here. 

couldn't have put it better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ditto, but Appleton. 

That's strange - I think the timeline just seems to suit it being Cotterill a bit more. It does sound like it's about the move from Portsmouth to Forest. Has Appleton had a similar move to that whereby Kitson could've been involved as his player?

edit - I don't think the timeline works as Portsmouth were relegated that season by the looks of things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's strange - I think the timeline just seems to suit it being Cotterill a bit more. It does sound like it's about the move from Portsmouth to Forest. Has Appleton had a similar move to that whereby Kitson could've been involved as his player? 

Yes... Pompey to Blackpool. But the last paragraph doesn't give quite enough detail. At no It point does it say that Kitson was still at the club when the manager in question left. It just says 'the next season the club took a turn for the worse' and 'if you called the players they wouldn't have cared'. I doesn't specifically state that Kitson was still there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes... Pompey to Blackpool. But the last paragraph doesn't give quite enough detail. At no It point does it say that Kitson was still at the club when the manager in question left. It just says 'the next season the club took a turn for the worse' and 'if you called the players they wouldn't have cared'. I doesn't specifically state that Kitson was still there. 

The book talks about 'next season the club took a turn for the worst' and that he was 2 games from the sack etc.. He doesn't mention, crucially, the relegation that happened under Appleton which you surely would. It could apply to either, I just think it reads more like it's about Cotterill's time at Portsmouth rather than Appleton's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I'm informed that this passage is about Kitson's dealings with Michael Appleton. Not Cotts. 

I don't think it's right to say you're 'informed' about something, when clearly based on the rest of this thread it's as much speculation and guessing as it would be for anyone else. I'm not having a go, because you probably didn't really intend it to come across that way, but your post gave off the impression that you were talking about facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

I don't think it's right to say you're 'informed' about something, when clearly based on the rest of this thread it's as much speculation and guessing as it would be for anyone else. I'm not having a go, because you probably didn't really intend it to come across that way, but your post gave off the impression that you were talking about facts.

Oh, sorry, you misunderstand. I have been informed. I admit that what follows is speculation, but nevertheless I have been informed by a reliable source that this is about Appleton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh, sorry, you misunderstand. I have been informed. I admit that what follows is speculation, but nevertheless I have been informed by a reliable source that this is about Appleton. 

Steve Cotterill? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, spudski said:

He probably enjoyed it just as much as the fans...big ego, loved hearing the praise. Reminded very much of how John Ward was. Shaking everyone's hand, signing autographs and listening to all the praise. Surprised their necks could hold their heads up come the end ;-)

 

In all fairness in the main it's a pretty thankless job if your looking for success / recognition - so when your moment comes you can't blame them for becoming huge bubble heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fiale said:

 

In all fairness in the main it's a pretty thankless job if your looking for success / recognition - so when your moment comes you can't blame them for becoming huge bubble heads.

They are the only two managers that have worked for this Club, that I've disliked.

Both bought promotion, so go figure. But I really dislike them as people, and I don't rate them as long term managers.

I know many love them...but I don't.

Respect the Promotion they brought, but I don't like how they went about their business behind the scenes, the lead up to them leaving, and what happened in their wake.

For me, it was all about them...and nothing for the good of the Club. And having met them away from the Club, they both underlined my feelings more so.

Just my opinion...most will disagree...and i'll probably get abuse as usual for it ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do find it strange that SC hasn't got another managerial job yet.  Do we know if it's been his choice to take a break, or has he been applying for jobs since leaving us, but with no success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I do find it strange that SC hasn't got another managerial job yet.  Do we know if it's been his choice to take a break, or has he been applying for jobs since leaving us, but with no success?

We are probably still paying him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, spudski said:

They are the only two managers that have worked for this Club, that I've disliked.

Both bought promotion, so go figure. But I really dislike them as people, and I don't rate them as long term managers.

I know many love them...but I don't.

Respect the Promotion they brought, but I don't like how they went about their business behind the scenes, the lead up to them leaving, and what happened in their wake.

For me, it was all about them...and nothing for the good of the Club. And having met them away from the Club, they both underlined my feelings more so.

Just my opinion...most will disagree...and i'll probably get abuse as usual for it ;-)

I don't care what you think of Dicks and Jordan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, spudski said:

They are the only two managers that have worked for this Club, that I've disliked.

 

Didn't either of them want their own special subbuteo team? :whistle2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We are probably still paying him. 

Exactly, and he was on a rumoured £10k pw when we were in a League One, not sure if that went up on promotion.  Very few if any clubs in League One (assuming that's the level he gets a job) will match what he's probably still getting with us.

@spudski - perfectly valid opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, spudski said:

They are the only two managers that have worked for this Club, that I've disliked.

Both bought promotion, so go figure. But I really dislike them as people, and I don't rate them as long term managers.

I know many love them...but I don't.

Respect the Promotion they brought, but I don't like how they went about their business behind the scenes, the lead up to them leaving, and what happened in their wake.

For me, it was all about them...and nothing for the good of the Club. And having met them away from the Club, they both underlined my feelings more so.

Just my opinion...most will disagree...and i'll probably get abuse as usual for it ;-)

To me, it's interesting that for many, because SC won us promotion (backed financially by the board, let's not forget - many seem to think he single handedly won us promotion) he is somehow free from criticism, he is raised to a higher status.

It's that kind of "don't speak ill of the dead" attitude.

Regardless of what he achieved with us, which was great over those few seasons (Thank you SC), for me, he did a huge amount to quickly undo his good work during the early part of 15/16 season, resulting in putting us on a course that was seemingly heading for nowhere but relegation. 

Saying that doesn't make me feel disloyal or disrespectful because I care more about the present and the future of BCFC more than I care about the past achievements of any manager or player. That's not to diminish their achievements, though.

Regardless of the debate over what happened with that summer transfer window, it was clear, under SC, the group of players he did have were clearly underperforming, proved almost immediately after he left, that the cloud lifted, 3-5-2 was ditched and the rest is history.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

To me, it's interesting that for many, because SC won us promotion (backed financially by the board, let's not forget - many seem to think he single handedly won us promotion) he is somehow free from criticism, he is raised to a higher status.

It's that kind of "don't speak ill of the dead" attitude.

Regardless of what he achieved with us, which was great over those few seasons (Thank you SC), for me, he did a huge amount to quickly undo his good work during the early part of 15/16 season, resulting in putting us on a course that was seemingly heading for nowhere but relegation. 

Saying that doesn't make me feel disloyal or disrespectful because I care more about the present and the future of BCFC more than I care about the past achievements of any manager or player. That's not to diminish their achievements, though.

Regardless of the debate over what happened with that summer transfer window, it was clear, under SC, the group of players he did have were clearly underperforming, proved almost immediately after he left, that the cloud lifted, 3-5-2 was ditched and the rest is history.  

I find it astounding, how quick LJ, MA and the rest of the team have been able to turn the club around. Fair play to them...a cloud was truly lifted and the Club became a happy and more focussed group again. Most importantly all pulling in the same direction.

Fans in general will only see the results at a Club. Very few get to find out what is happening behind the scenes.

If we had continued under SC we would have found ourselves in an even darker place than when he took over...I truly believe that. The Club were all over the place before he left. Everyone running scared and pulling in different directions. Never seen it so bad tbh.

Thank God he left, and we now have a group of people all working and pulling in the same direction. A breath of fresh air.

Similarly when Ward left...although we didn't get the results like now, good Ol' Benny was doing everything he could to get this Club working, the right way...and it brought the fans together as they could see what he was trying to do.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...