IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

DavidNoble

4 hours ago, NickJ said:

You don't know what happened, or maybe didn't happen, after Cotts secured promotion.

Exactly far too many have filled in their own blanks.

it could be said equally that SL is the one that ****** up but got lucky even after his late sacking of SC.

Bottom line is had he not got us promoted in the first place, LJ wouldn't now be managing a progressive championship club and lets be happy for that the rest is pure speculation.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Exactly far too many have filled in their own blanks.

it could be said equally that SL is the one that ****** up but got lucky even after his late sacking of SC.

Bottom line is had he not got us promoted in the first place, LJ wouldn't now be managing a progressive championship club and lets be happy for that the rest is pure speculation.

Looks like you want to fill in the blanks to suggest SL was at fault though? People have filled in blanks on both sides of the story, most with no facts to base their assumptions on.

The only thing that has been said on record by either SL or SC about that summer was SL suggesting there was no transfer 'strategy' from SC. 

SC got us promoted, yes, backed by SL with a considerable budget (one of the best in division at time). 

We have now seen what can be done when people have a plan and want to work together, see MA and LJ. Backed by SL. Cotterill would have never worked alongside MA as his head coach, as LJ now is. 

We can speculate on stories that people have read on here, which are complete speculation or we can look at the facts of what has happened since. It looks pretty clear that the windows MA have been involved in have been fruitful ones, the one headed up by SC 'that' summer was a complete mess. The constant over these decent windows was SL, the now gone variable, SC.

Anyway, all in the past and what is fantastic to see a system in place, and a young coach proving many doubters wrong and steering our club in the right direction.

3 hours ago, shelts said:

Not that impressed then?!

As Kitson is the most arrogant and self-regarding middling-ability player to inflict his thoughts on the public, I wouldn't be that impressed with his verdict.

I wouldn't expect two strong-minded personalities to get on.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As Kitson is the most arrogant and self-regarding middling-ability player to inflict his thoughts on the public, I wouldn't be that impressed with his verdict.

How do you know he's so arrogant? Not being flippant, but do you know him personally or something to have a strong opinion on his personality? 

They're actually a good read his books, provide an interesting insight. 

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As SC is the most arrogant and self-regarding middling-ability manager to inflict his thoughts on the public, I wouldn't be that impressed with his verdict.

Corrected that for you RR ;-) :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How do you know he's so arrogant? Not being flippant, but do you know him personally or something to have a strong opinion on his personality? 

They're actually a good read his books, provide an interesting insight. 

His Secret Footballer columns always came across as saying 'us footballing supermen who have a much better understanding of the game than you clueless plebs who pay our wages'. That may not be what he intended, but that's the case.

Anyway, with the level of superior knowledge that he has I'm surprised that he isn't managing somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

His Secret Footballer columns always came across as saying 'us footballing supermen who have a much better understanding of the game than you clueless plebs who pay our wages'. That may not be what he intended, but that's the case.

Anyway, with the level of superior knowledge that he has I'm surprised that he isn't managing somewhere.

I don't read them like that personally, think that's just his writing style.

I think his books are very good. The section on SC is pretty damning though, regardless what you think of the author. If what he says are facts, SC doesn't come out of it looking very good no matter how it's spun.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's actually a fair point. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Looks like you want to fill in the blanks to suggest SL was at fault though? People have filled in blanks on both sides of the story, most with no facts to base their assumptions on.

The only thing that has been said on record by either SL or SC about that summer was SL suggesting there was no transfer 'strategy' from SC. 

SC got us promoted, yes, backed by SL with a considerable budget (one of the best in division at time). 

We have now seen what can be done when people have a plan and want to work together, see MA and LJ. Backed by SL. Cotterill would have never worked alongside MA as his head coach, as LJ now is. 

We can speculate on stories that people have read on here, which are complete speculation or we can look at the facts of what has happened since. It looks pretty clear that the windows MA have been involved in have been fruitful ones, the one headed up by SC 'that' summer was a complete mess. The constant over these decent windows was SL, the now gone variable, SC.

Anyway, all in the past and what is fantastic to see a system in place, and a young coach proving many doubters wrong and steering our club in the right direction.

Saying Cotts would not work with MA - isn't that speculation, or maybe its a FACT if typed in capital letters. LJ has MA working alongside him on recruitment, SC was probably never given the option to work alongside MA, to find good recruits. 

Why do we have to slam a manager who gave us two great seasons and the nucleus of a good team to build on. He ran his course and was replaced. We maintained Championship status so no damage done. 

5 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

Saying Cotts would not work with MA - isn't that speculation, or maybe its a FACT if typed in capital letters. LJ has MA working alongside him on recruitment, SC was probably never given the option to work alongside MA, to find good recruits. 

Why do we have to slam a manager who gave us two great seasons and the nucleus of a good team to build on. He ran his course and was replaced. We maintained Championship status so no damage done. 

He did rather well up to a point as most managers do. Who will ever forget promotion and the cup?

It was a giddy season to be honest. We got results that mattered. The football was decent, not the best I've seen in my time, and then the sad tragic end of a decent League One manager. Heard lots of rumours as you all have, I spoke to a player who confirmed some of what's been put on here. Let's remember the league and cup double and Cotts with fondness. 

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

He did rather well up to a point as most managers do. Who will ever forget promotion and the cup?

It was a giddy season to be honest. We got results that mattered. The football was decent, not the best I've seen in my time, and then the sad tragic end of a decent League One manager. Heard lots of rumours as you all have, I spoke to a player who confirmed some of what's been put on here. Let's remember the league and cup double and Cotts with fondness. 

He's not deceased! 

1 hour ago, Im_over_ere said:

and @Alessandro

SC did word with MA.

During the summer that we signed Freeman, Smith etc, Mark Ashton was brought in in an advisory role for our transfers.

15 hours ago, RumRed said:

Or we bought a bloody good team for that  level and he got lucky that the other teams were utter garbage.

I was at Colchester away and we were tactically inept.

Absolutely in my view. 

We trounced that division despite the tactics not because of them. 

Even when the set up was clearly wrong, our team and individual players just had too many gears for other sides to be able to cope with.  

We just bulldozed it, regardless. Unfortunately I think even Steve was blind to this fact and instead believed his sacred formation was behind his success, which is why he couldn't let go. 

Then we went up and the players were on a level playing surface, but the tactics were not and we got found out.

To give Steve his dues though, I will give him credit for his ability to motivate and retain focus in the squad throughout the season. 

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Nope I don't want to fill in any blanks at all, because I don't know and I am not aware of anybody on here who does know, I suspect that as always the truth is somewhere in the centre ground.

I agree with the last sentence, what I find bizarre is the vitriol that still exists, whatever the in's and out's actually are, for instance I read some shite on here last week stating that SC never wanted Kodjia, where exactly did that come from?, I have seen nothing to suggest that at all, i'm sure had it been true SC being SC would not have played him, especially during his dry spells.

He's gone and things are on the up, just leave him alone, I haven't seen any detrimental remarks about BCFC from him unlike Kodjia.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nope I don't want to fill in any blanks at all, because I don't know and I am not aware of anybody on here who does know, I suspect that as always the truth is somewhere in the centre ground.

I agree with the last sentence, what I find bizarre is the vitriol that still exists, whatever the in's and out's actually are, for instance I read some shite on here last week stating that SC never wanted Kodjia, where exactly did that come from?, I have seen nothing to suggest that at all, i'm sure had it been true SC being SC would not have played him, especially during his dry spells.

He's gone and things are on the up, just leave him alone, I haven't seen any detrimental remarks about BCFC from him unlike Kodjia.

One's still being paid by BCFC, the other isn't.

17 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

I am still dumbfounded as to how a league 1 club hasn't come in for him - He kept us up then won us the double in his second season!

Perhaps he's turned down these offers and instead believes he should be managing in the championship...?

Maybe their thinking long term as in the Championship... his Championship record isn't that good. Lets be honest, waltzed L1 and then had a 15% win rate in the Champ... those last 12 or so games were absolutely dire 

3 hours ago, Im_over_ere said:

Not slamming SC at all and I haven't slammed him but to say his results at championship were not good enough.

When SC worked with MA first time, MA was here on an advisory role. When he returned he was given the title 'Chief Operating Operating' and the manager, now head coach, answers to him. Speculation, but it is my understanding that SC, as more of an old school 'manager' may not have been at his happiest in the Head Coach role.

Not bashing, just discussing.

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As I've already sad, not bashing SC. I just prefer to defend SL from perceived, and in my opinion, most likely unfair bashing regarding that summer of transfer.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Not slamming SC at all and I haven't slammed him but to say his results at championship were not good enough.

When SC worked with MA first time, MA was here on an advisory role. When he returned he was given the title 'Chief Operating Operating' and the manager, now head coach, answers to him. Speculation, but it is my understanding that SC, as more of an old school 'manager' may not have been at his happiest in the Head Coach role.

Not bashing, just discussing.

Calm down, where did I say YOU slammed SC and for what it's worth I agree with your view about MA and his role and SC's almost certain disdain of that.

My main point is he's gone, let him rest and let's revel in progress that we have made.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As I've already sad, not bashing SC. I just prefer to defend SL from perceived, and in my opinion, most likely unfair bashing regarding that summer of transfer.

The buck stops with the owner full stop. 

The point is if things were as bad as people say then as owner he should have acted earlier, a little like Derby have today.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Calm down, where did I say YOU slammed SC and for what it's worth I agree with your view about MA and his role and SC's almost certain disdain of that.

My main point is he's gone, let him rest and let's revel in progress that we have made.

The buck stops with the owner full stop. 

The point is if things were as bad as people say then as owner he should have acted earlier, a little like Derby have today.

I'm perfectly calm Esmond, no need to get all bold and capitals on me!!! :P

Buck certainly stops with SL and credit where it's due, action was taken, and things are, for now being done in a proper and exciting way. 

29 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We wouldn't even be in the Championship without Steve Cotterill, and that's all there is to it

What are you a clairvoyant? How do you know another manager couldn't have done the same. Like me saying we wouldn't be in the Championship now because SC would have taken us down. As for SoD...just goes to show how little you know about football...his circumstances and why SC eventually failed here. Why not pop over David Lloyd one day and have a word with him...he's quite willing to slag off city now to anyone who'll listen...feeling so hard done by.

Archived