Take her up where we’re mathematically safe
Gonna wake up mathematically safe

Mid table there’s nothing much on my fork
It’s alright though ‘cos I can go for my walk
Around Cartmel, mathematically safe
Ain’t no alarm bell, we’re mathematically safe
On a lilo, in a sea of alright
I’m a mongrel and I just won a dog fight

Half Man Half Biscuits take on the meaning :)

14 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

No you couldn't. It would be wholly incorrect. Unless you use an incorrect definition of mathematically safe. 

for some reason that just be made me laugh out loud, and the kids are looking at me very strangely!

14 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

MK cannot lose another game basically 

They can afford one more defeat but we would need to lose at least 3 games and either draw or lose the other two. In that scenario 2 draws for us and 3 defeats would be fine as long as MK don't overturn the 6 goal advantage we currently have over them. 

.....and then there's Charlton.

Just for the record we were relegated from the Championship on this day 3 years ago. I'd ******* love it if we sealed our safety today. I suspect though we may have to wait....

We are 10 points clear of MK, 12 points of Charlton, and 1 point clear of the other four below us.

If we match the number of points MK get in any of their next 4 matches, they cannot overhaul us. If we get just one point in any of our last 4 games, Charlton can't catch us. We are in a better position than any of the 4 teams we have below us.

Short of some major misdemeanours by the club or us really coking things up, we are safe.

9 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

We are 10 points clear of MK, 12 points of Charlton, and 1 point clear of the other four below us.

If we match the number of points MK get in any of their next 4 matches, they cannot overhaul us. If we get just one point in any of our last 4 games, Charlton can't catch us. We are in a better position than any of the 4 teams we have below us.

Short of some major misdemeanours by the club or us really coking things up, we are safe.

You are , of course , right but your last sentence worries me a little as this is City you're talking about .

Not sure anyone at City " cokes " up though ! 

48 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Whether this is cocking or choking I'm worried :blink:

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You are , of course , right but your last sentence worries me a little as this is City you're talking about .

Not sure anyone at City " cokes " up though ! 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Whether this is cocking or choking I'm worried :blink:

I think I've cocked up

7 hours ago, Iron Man said:

It's pretty much impossible for Charlton to catch us, unless they somehow overturn a -17 GD. Their results are irrelevant now.

I know it won`t happen but it isn`t that difficult really. If they win three of them 2-0 and one 3-0 and we lose all ours 2-0 that`s a 17 goal turnaround. Cloud cuckoo land in reality but it always does amuse me when people say `we`re 8 goals better off than whoever` when one 4-0 stuffing combined with a 4-0 win for the other team wipes that out.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know it won`t happen but it isn`t that difficult really. If they win three of them 2-0 and one 3-0 and we lose all ours 2-0 that`s a 17 goal turnaround. Cloud cuckoo land in reality but it always does amuse me when people say `we`re 8 goals better off than whoever` when one 4-0 stuffing combined with a 4-0 win for the other team wipes that out.

True. Still, I reckon we could lose all of our remaining games by any amounts and still stay up. 

For starters MK Dons have lost 2 goalkeepers, and even one of those was a rookie. They have had a 'make or break' relegation rival - their closest in league places - at home and lost 4-0 and if they were to maintain a remote chance had to win against a Preston side with little to play for. 

I cannot foresee any way either Charlton or MK Dons can save themselves. Simply we've accumulated enough points now and I think the same for Rotherham, Fulham etc. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

True. Still, I reckon we could lose all of our remaining games by any amounts and still stay up. 

For starters MK Dons have lost 2 goalkeepers, and even one of those was a rookie. They have had a 'make or break' relegation rival - their closest in league places - at home and lost 4-0 and if they were to maintain a remote chance had to win against a Preston side with little to play for. 

I cannot foresee any way either Charlton or MK Dons can save themselves. Simply we've accumulated enough points now and I think the same for Rotherham, Fulham etc. 

I agree entirely, not a snowball`s chance we`re going down but it does make me chuckle when people regard a better goal difference as `an extra point` when it can easily be turned on its head by two results.

Archived