IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Derby County Match Day Thread

Good afternoon one and all. Tis Derby day.

One has to doff one's hat to the fair minded people of Derbyshire. While the unitary authority of Derby and the city have a not insignificant population of 257,000 souls it would not, to an outsider, be considered a place hosting a team that regularly attracts over 30,000 fans within its hallowed grounds. While the wider area has a population of around 1.5 million the entire county only has two league teams the other of course being Chesterfield. The Derby County fan is certainly large in number.

I was going to consider the wider Derby diaspora overseas even and, interestingly, there are 26 other places around the world called Derby. Seventeen of them, perhaps understandably, are in the United States, three of them, supposedly, are in the UK although I have only been able to find the one. There is even one, I suppose, as a suburb of Lazio in Italy. Bristol, on the other hand has 40 places around the world which is a wholly unsurprising fact and at least 200 hotels so named because the 4th Earl of Bristol, a rather roguish and cantankerous old fellow, who was fully loaded and demanded the highest of quality in service and accommodations in his various travails around the continent in the 18th century.

What I suggest can be deduced from these irrefutable facts is that Bristol is far more well known around the world than Derby. One of these days someone, somewhere, is going to drive into Bristol, one of the 39 others, and ask the question in the local pub.. "are you supporting Bristol City or are you buying me a drink?" .

And what on earth do you think might we have in common with Derby County apart from Frank Fielding and Rolls Royce? Well, according to on line blinds retailer 'web blinds' both places are amongst the 5 best places to live in the UK of the 25 most populated cities. Are you reading Tone?

But Deoraby or 'Place of the Deer' was so named by the Vikings from the Danish word Deor and was, in 2014, voted in the top three 'friendliest places in Britain'. I suspect this was shortly after they discovered that Bristol is closer to them than London. It may only be 3 miles different but they clearly were ecstatic about that. Derby was, and in all seriousness, one the founding towns of the Industrial Revolution with the first water powered silk mill. That feat was not without its dangers though because the man who brought it to Derby had allegedly stolen the art of silk throwing from the Piedmontese who later poisoned him. You have got to watch those Italians. Many milestones of our industrialisation stemmed from Derby so we have a lot to thank the city and county for. One odd fact is that however far Derby is from the coast it also gave us the Plimsoll Line from the local MP Samuel Plimsoll who introduced a bill in 1876 that introduced a line marking on a ship to determine the maximum water line and, thereby, ensuring ships were not overloaded. It is also known as the International Load Line.

Bristol City 3 Deoraby County 1

Wilbs on his return, Kodjia, and about time, with a hint of offside of course and Odem with a late finisher-offer.

Far too optimistic I know but the 40 towns and cities around the world are going to drown out the 26 Derbys. And the 200 odd plush hotels will be the icing on the cake.

Derby County have the latent support to be a Premiership team and to sustain it but, with no hint of bravado, so do we. We just need to walk the walk next year and beyond.

I suspect it might be a virtual sell out of our rather paltry reduced 15,700 crowd this evening but roar us on lads and lasses to another memorable 'across the line of safety' victory.

Or could this be another Lee Johnson kick in the molars thrashing? I have an inkling but I have just squashed that thought like a dried raisin.

Good night all.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

One has to doff one's hat to the fair minded people of Derbyshire. While the unitary authority of Derby and the city have a not insignificant population of 257,000 souls it would not, to an outsider, be considered a place hosting a team that regularly attracts over 30,000 fans within its hallowed grounds. While the wider area has a population of around 1.5 million the entire county only has two league teams the other of course being Chesterfield. The Derby County fan is certainly large in number.

I was going to consider the wider Derby diaspora overseas even and, interestingly, there are 26 other places around the world called Derby. Seventeen of them, perhaps understandably, are in the United States, three of them, supposedly, are in the UK although I have only been able to find the one. There is even one, I suppose, as a suburb of Lazio in Italy. Bristol, on the other hand has 40 places around the world which is a wholly unsurprising fact and at least 200 hotels so named because the 4th Earl of Bristol, a rather roguish and cantankerous old fellow, who was fully loaded and demanded the highest of quality in service and accommodations in his various travails around the continent in the 18th century.

What I suggest can be deduced from these irrefutable facts is that Bristol is far more well known around the world than Derby. One of these days someone, somewhere, is going to drive into Bristol, one of the 39 others, and ask the question in the local pub.. "are you supporting Bristol City or are you buying me a drink?" .

And what on earth do you think might we have in common with Derby County apart from Frank Fielding and Rolls Royce? Well, according to on line blinds retailer 'web blinds' both places are amongst the 5 best places to live in the UK of the 25 most populated cities. Are you reading Tone?

But Deoraby or 'Place of the Deer' was so named by the Vikings from the Danish word Deor and was, in 2014, voted in the top three 'friendliest places in Britain'. I suspect this was shortly after they discovered that Bristol is closer to them than London. It may only be 3 miles different but they clearly were ecstatic about that. Derby was, and in all seriousness, one the founding towns of the Industrial Revolution with the first water powered silk mill. That feat was not without its dangers though because the man who brought it to Derby had allegedly stolen the art of silk throwing from the Piedmontese who later poisoned him. You have got to watch those Italians. Many milestones of our industrialisation stemmed from Derby so we have a lot to thank the city and county for. One odd fact is that however far Derby is from the coast it also gave us the Plimsoll Line from the local MP Samuel Plimsoll who introduced a bill in 1876 that introduced a line marking on a ship to determine the maximum water line and, thereby, ensuring ships were not overloaded. It is also known as the International Load Line.

Wilbs on his return, Kodjia, and about time, with a hint of offside of course and Odem with a late finisher-offer.

Far too optimistic I know but the 40 towns and cities around the world are going to drown out the 26 Derbys. And the 200 odd plush hotels will be the icing on the cake.

Derby County have the latent support to be a Premiership team and to sustain it but, with no hint of bravado, so do we. We just need to walk the walk next year and beyond.

I suspect it might be a virtual sell out of our rather paltry reduced 15,700 crowd this evening but roar us on lads and lasses to another memorable 'across the line of safety' victory.

Or could this be another Lee Johnson kick in the molars thrashing? I have an inkling but I have just squashed that thought like a dried raisin.

Good night all.

UTC

Condensed Version

Derby

If you want to see a local Derby there are 26 in the world so not far to go. (There is one in Western Australia but the locals still cannot pronounce it properly)

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

With both teams with a lot to play for, both teams with some good wins recently- anything can happen but I'd very happily take a draw right now.

Same here. It'll be interesting to see whether we have learned from games like the Brighton and Hull ones.

10 minutes ago, City169 said:

And Charlton fail to win

I don't think we need worry too much about Charlton, they have a far worse GD and only 36 points. That means they have to win all the four games left starting with Brighton tonight to get the same points as we have today and better the GD. IMO, can't see that happening.

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good night all.

UTC

I can vouch for Derby being a nice place to live , a human sized city surrounded by rolling hills .

Also some of the best Curry houses in the country down the Normanton Rd .

Tension in the Isewater family tonight as my ' former ' son is a Rams supporter .

Mrs Isewater's fault she would n't accept to go to Bristol to give birth and young master Isewater stayed true to his ' local ' team .

Edited by Major Isewater
7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oddly City have now amended substitutes to include Little but to exclude Reid !

That's because BR's starting Ivor.

Subs have now been altered, removing Reid's double appearance, and including Little instead.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad