IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Derby County Match Day Thread

Lee's comments are interesting in as much as the team didn't do what they were asked to do

He said he was angry

He will get it right, I am convinced, because he can see where the weak spots are

Next season's starting 11 will look very different from this season's finishing 11

Believe in Lee

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

1. Pack and Smith were tired, both looked poor

2. Kodjia needs decent service 

3. The entire defence was woeful on the ball aside from Matthews 

4. Reid MOM why was he taken off? 

5. Freeman is League 1, needs to go. Sorry. 

6. Joe Bryan was very poor tonight

• Like 1

We definitely didn't do enough in the second half tonight. Apart from one chance for Kodjia we weren't much of a threat, which was a shame because in the first half we looked dangerous at times. They seemed to score their goals too easily - not sure if that was because of their quality or our bad defending or a bit of both.

Good support from their fans (albeit very very very repetitive).

I was running a bit late tonight so had a beer in the concourse instead of heading to a pub. I liked the selection of beers in the South Stand/Dolman corner. Service in the South Stand concourse at half-time was very quick as well. 

I'm confident that we have the ability to get something at Blackburn on Saturday. The sooner we are mathematically safe the better.

For some reason we completely lost all composure 2nd half. Derby looked a threat most of the game but we worked very hard 1st half and didn't panic. 2nd half Derby pressed extremely well. They continually forced us into hospital passes or not even 50/50 punts. No one could get a grip on the game from our team although I did feel Pack did his best to. We got overun through really bad reading of the game whenever we were defending or breaking. 

Edited by Flagon
Typo
10 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

One wonders why both centre backs were out on the edge of the box near our right corner trying to stop a cross which was headed in by 5'8 Bobby Russell unmarked at the back post?

Probably thought as a right winger he was being marked by our left back 

18 minutes ago, Nibor said:

First half was ok at best, reasonably even and we didn't deserve the gifted lead.  Second half was utter shite and Derby were able to chill out for the final half an hour.  We were lazy and inept and LJ is right to be angry.  

'Okay at best'? We shaded it against a top side and went in 2-1. Some of our attacking play was great. I think the bad 2nd half has skewed your memory!

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

'Okay at best'? We shaded it against a top side and went in 2-1. Some of our attacking play was great. I think the bad 2nd half has skewed your memory!

We didn't shade it, we got given a goal (great finish by Reid) that our play didn't warrant and we made mistake after mistake with the ball and without throughout the game.  We were lucky to only get punished once in the first half.  What changed at half time was that we stopped pressing and Derby didn't, nothing else - both sides continued to give the ball away cheaply and defend poorly.  We were at home and Derby were beatable, and a few flashes of nice attacking play limited to about 15 minutes early in the first half doesn't rate better than OK in my book.  The second half was abject shite and it's probably made you remember the first half far too generously.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

The first half was pretty open. In the second half we were well and truly taught a lesson in football - we've had a few this season, that was definitely one of the better ones.

Don't agree. We created all our own problems. Yes they're a good side but it doesn't help when we keep giving the ball away and dwelling to long on it. Think they won all 50/50 balls second half as well. Not good enough , we're better than that and should of got something out of the game. 

Joe Bryan looked completely out of sorts, a hugely disappointing display after regaining some form recently.

All our midfield looked jaded bar Bobby Reid who at least had a good 20 minute spell and scored a cracking goal. His substitution tonight came as a surprise.

Korey Smith was particularly ineffective, fairly anonymous game and didn't fulfill his role as Captain to cajole his his team mates and get them going.

Derby went up a gear at the start of the 2nd half and scored with some ease. City looked shell shocked and a beaten team as soon as the 3rd went in and disappointingly never got up a head of steam to put any concerted pressure on Derby so another equaliser never looked likely.

2-3 sounds like an exciting game but it was riddled with errors and bar a couple of good attacking spells City were poor tonight.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

1. Pack and Smith were tired, both looked poor

Pack was MOM in my opinion, good distribution (none of his 30 yarder attempts), intercepted play well at times and given people criticise his tackling he made a couple of very good tackles in the game. 

2. Kodjia needs decent service 

So True

3. The entire defence was woeful on the ball aside from Matthews 

Well near enough all Flint and Baker did was pass to each other or punt upfield so....

4. Reid MOM why was he taken off? 

Reid had 2 or 3 moments of quality, however otherwise went missing a lot, probably a large part of the reason he was taken off. 

5. Freeman is League 1, needs to go. Sorry. 

Can't see anyone really leaving until we bring players in, squad isn't big enough, if/when we get enough in then maybe we can think of selling players.

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

In honour of a great first half I will drink tea second half

What was your medicine at the end me babber? Back to boozerville?

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Agree with most, except Pack was probably MoM, and I think Reid was just a throw of the dice to change things. Overall beaten by a better side while being awful . Thought Derby were very good.

I suppose they must have severely stepped off the gas then or they would have won by more than one goal against an awful side; Rad Derby were saying virtually as much including that they thought we had had a good snooze in the dressing room at HT and seemed still to be very much in dosing mode out on the pitch. They laughed at some of our passing especially when Bryan passed it to absolutely nobody and gifted them a corner.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Just got back shocking performance totally clueless all over the pitch. 

Seemingly a bizarre lack of concentration is affecting the City team at certain junctures of a match; perhaps LJ's high tempo game is simply busting their lungs after 45 or an hour and then not only do their bodies go but their decision making also. Semi auto pilot thinking they have done enough to stay up? They may very well have but it is a good manager that instills the non-stop motivation tired or not. Maybe Johnson needs to up their fitness levels for his style of play?