IGNORED

UPDATED: Bristol Fans Derby 2016

Hopesy38

9 hours ago, Hopesy38 said:

It's not all mates of mine, the only mate that's on the team is the other organiser.

We've done our best, yeah it may not be the best organisation but we wanted to bring it back to life.

You keep saying bringing it back to life? It has been brought back to life with far more success and planning than you've put into it. As already said, the REAL organisers are having a year out, that gives you no right to jump in and think you can take over. Your attitude is disgusting. People put so much time into these things and you've totally disregarded that and just done what you want. 

You should have a look at yourself. Absolutely disgusting 

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

When organising things like this you have to have a bit of a thick skin. It's definitely not advisable to start swearing at people and sulking when they give you advice. 

This is true, but as alluded to earlier in the thread - a certain organiser of this 'fans derby' might think a bit differently to rest of us. Perhaps people could be a bit more mindful of this and cut him a bit of slack. Yes, the circumstances and organisation is a bit of a joke but we should remember who this is.

Given the majority of the BFD supporters are on OTIB how much damage can be caused really? It's not like Rolf Harris hosting the next Children in Need. Any money raised is good money in my book, next year it will be a bigger and better event with better organization etc. the way Mr Hopes has gone about it is not really acceptable but the damage caused will be minimal in my opinion... 

2 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

Given the majority of the BFD supporters are on OTIB how much damage can be caused really? It's not like Rolf Harris hosting the next Children in Need. Any money raised is good money in my book, next year it will be a bigger and better event with better organization etc. the way Mr Hopes has gone about it is not really acceptable but the damage caused will be minimal in my opinion... 

Agree. Some are being pretty petty about it IMO. Good luck Hopesy.

Well said @Big Red Rich

A "fans derby" is not a brand to be getting  wound up about damaging. If it is, trademark it. If not, let everyone have a go at setting up an event and don't take it as a slight on previous efforts.

Honestly for a fan activity people are behaving more and more like a highly stage managed "brand Bristol Sport" event of precisely the type everyone normally rips to shreds when it's City with this sort of control and inflexibility.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Well said @Big Red Rich

A "fans derby" is not a brand to be getting  wound up about damaging. If it is, trademark it. If not, let everyone have a go at setting up an event and don't take it as a slight on previous efforts.

Honestly for a fan activity people are behaving more and more like a highly stage managed "brand Bristol Sport" event of precisely the type everyone normally rips to shreds when it's City with this sort of control and inflexibility.

The BFD had gained a bad reputation and would have sunk without trace if several people had not put in the thought and preparation to rebuild its reputation such that the clubs would again be prepared to have some degree of involvement.

If this is a disaster and Scotty and Louis come back saying "never again" to all and sundry then the BFD, and the money that it raises for charity, is dead in the water for the next several years.

People who were involved in restoring its reputation are concerned that all their good work may be undone and are offering advice because they do not want it to be said disaster because of the effect upon next year.

Hopesy may already be in touch with them to see what needs to be done. I, um, "hope" so anyway.

18 minutes ago, Stephen Lewis said:

Bloody hell ! Hopesy38  is only playing a friendly game of football that wouldn't be being played at all if he hadn't put in the effort to arrange it.

What's wrong with some of you. 

Good on you Hopesy.

Shame on some of you others.

EH has summed it up perfectly above.

13 minutes ago, Stephen Lewis said:

Bloody hell ! Hopesy38  is only playing a friendly game of football that wouldn't be being played at all if he hadn't put in the effort to arrange it.

What's wrong with some of you. 

Good on you Hopesy.

Shame on some of you others.

The technical term is "passing off"; leading people to believe that the event that they are signing up (as ex-pros playing, or as people paying gate money, or as BMF allowing their ground to be used) to is the well organised and successful BFD of the past few years when it isn't.

If you don't see what the problem.us with that then please come along to my Summer Olympic Games that I will be holding in a field by Avonmouth; so far several world class athletes gave agreed to compete.

8 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The technical term is "passing off"; leading people to believe that the event that they are signing up (as ex-pros playing, or as people paying gate money, or as BMF allowing their ground to be used) to is the well organised and successful BFD of the past few years when it isn't.

If you don't see what the problem.us with that then please come along to my Summer Olympic Games that I will be holding in a field by Avonmouth; so far several world class athletes gave agreed to compete.

Brilliant, much easier to get there than Rio.

How much are tickets? I hope Mo Farah not one of the ones who has agreed, not a fan of that slimey ******. Would make me think twice about coming! 

14 minutes ago, super slick said:

How much are tickets? I hope Mo Farah not one of the ones who has agreed, not a fan of that slimey ******. Would make me think twice about coming! 

No he's not, unfortunately he didn't comment quickly enough on the Facebook post.

14 minutes ago, super slick said:

Ha ha.

I won't pursue this parallel as it will veer into financial gain and there is absolutely zero suggestion that this is the case.  Hopesy has the best intentions; but that is not enough to make it a good idea.

@Just Red you're being a bit of an arsehole mate. We all understand your concerns but there's no need to infer Hopesy is a thief and then call it 'advice'.

What if it is a disaster? What if it's not? No one has a God-given claim to the BFD. The fact is no one was organising anything for this year, as they didn't last year. Now something has been arranged.

I was involved with the BFD a couple of years back and never got the impression there was a lottery to decide who plays and who doesn't to keep it fair. It seemed like largely a group of mates who knew each other. That doesn't sound too different to this year. I might be wrong.

Either way, Scott Murray was among those playing for us that day, so you might want to lay off accusing anyone of bringing in ex-pros...

20 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

@Just Red you're being a bit of an arsehole mate. We all understand your concerns but there's no need to infer Hopesy is a thief and then call it 'advice'.

What if it is a disaster? What if it's not? No one has a God-given claim to the BFD. The fact is no one was organising anything for this year, as they didn't last year. Now something has been arranged.

I was involved with the BFD a couple of years back and never got the impression there was a lottery to decide who plays and who doesn't to keep it fair. It seemed like largely a group of mates who knew each other. That doesn't sound too different to this year. I might be wrong.

Either way, Scott Murray was among those playing for us that day, so you might want to lay off accusing anyone of bringing in ex-pros...

If I'm being an ass, fair enough, I apologise. If hopesy is intent on the event happen then I have tried to give some advice. Fair play to him for giving it ago but I know what it's like to run an event. It can't be done in a couple of weeks. You need insurance, risk assessments and all the craps. It appears Hopesy thinks he can just book a stadium and play a game of football. Although that idea is very refreshing to see myself and others know it's not that simple. 

Most of all I am giving advice to stop Hopesy having any embarrassment if this event falls on its ass.

Each and everyone of us want the event to be a success but we simply have doubts in hopesys ability to host the event. 

If there are massive brawls etc then the blame is going to be placed at hopesys door. No charity wants to be associated with that sort of thing and in future if Tim wanted to rehost the event he could find that the reputation is shattered and this means further charities will lose out in the future And that's my concern. Simply because of some naivety.

hopesys attitude when he came on here and replied was uncalled for so please don't question my attitude when I have tried to offer advice.

9 minutes ago, Just Red said:

If I'm being an ass, fair enough, I apologise. If hopesy is intent on the event happen then I have tried to give some advice. Fair play to him for giving it ago but I know what it's like to run an event. It can't be done in a couple of weeks. You need insurance, risk assessments and all the craps. It appears Hopesy thinks he can just book a stadium and play a game of football. Although that idea is very refreshing to see myself and others know it's not that simple. 

Most of all I am giving advice to stop Hopesy having any embarrassment if this event falls on its ass.

Each and everyone of us want the event to be a success but we simply have doubts in hopesys ability to host the event. 

If there are massive brawls etc then the blame is going to be placed at hopesys door. No charity wants to be associated with that sort of thing and in future if Tim wanted to rehost the event he could find that the reputation is shattered and this means further charities will lose out in the future And that's my concern. Simply because of some naivety.

hopesys attitude when he came on here and replied was uncalled for so please don't question my attitude when I have tried to offer advice.

The Fans Derby isn't a 'thing' though, it's not a company or copywrited name. All Badger/Jesus would have to do, if it went wrong and he wanted to relaunch, was explain what happened this year and say that it's the usual organisers this time.

Maybe it would be better if it wasn't being held at BMF and at a park or something. That way there's less to worry about.

Your last comment though, as you yourself alluded to, certain people in this thread think about things and interact with others a bit differently - a few replies in this thread can simply be put down to that I think.

How most people say I am going to fail massively hosting the Bristol Fans Derby... I'm raising money for charity at the end of the day, whether 100 people turned up or 1000 did either way CHSW is getting some great money towards them.

I apologised to the original organisers of the BFD, we didn't mean to cause any harm or upset anyone.. we didn't know it was still going so I thought I'd just bring it back again.

I know most are only trying to save myself from an embarrassment but who knows? We may even get a full house.. you'll just have to come down and see for yourself how it goes. You might even then post on here on how good it was!

17 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

How most people say I am going to fail massively hosting the Bristol Fans Derby... I'm raising money for charity at the end of the day, whether 100 people turned up or 1000 did either way CHSW is getting some great money towards them.

I apologised to the original organisers of the BFD, we didn't mean to cause any harm or upset anyone.. we didn't know it was still going so I thought I'd just bring it back again.

I know most are only trying to save myself from an embarrassment but who knows? We may even get a full house.. you'll just have to come down and see for yourself how it goes. You might even then post on here on how good it was!

Really good luck to you. I just wish you was able to take the advice given to you.

Please don't play the charity card, before I mentioned it you hadn't mentioned nothing about charity. And then the next day after I mentioned it you suddenly are doing it for charity.

From experience charities don't want to be involved in anything negative

Your apology came across as you wasn't actually sorry as you justified it with a means. You certainly got my back up with your apology.

I'd be very surprised if you even hit a maximum of 100. I'd be less surprised if your able to field a starting 11. I take it you do have plans in case a couple of hundred turn up? You know extra stewards etc?

My last bit of advice is running an event is extremely stressful, organising a football team is also stressful, playing whilst doing both is also stressful. I think as this is your first major event you should reconsider and try organising some smaller events to gain experience. Example being a kick about up the downs or hiring a pitch out at pro 5.

37 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

Good luck mate, sadly some pathetic people on here want you to fail. Emabarrasing.

52 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

I do worry for you hopsey. If it goes wrong, which with the way it appears to have been organised, looks like a possibility, the blame will be shifted to you immediately. 

Insurance is a must, and is not cheap either. Stewards, also are a must, and again, aren't cheap. We all hope it goes well, mainly for you, because if it doesn't, well, who knows what could happen.

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I do worry for you hopsey. If it goes wrong, which with the way it appears to have been organised, looks like a possibility, the blame will be shifted to you immediately. 

Insurance is a must, and is not cheap either. Stewards, also are a must, and again, aren't cheap. We all hope it goes well, mainly for you, because if it doesn't, well, who knows what could happen.

And that is exactly what I personally want to avoid. I don't know hopesy personally but I know of him now and I would really worry for himself if things went badly. I mean like his confidence and self belief. I wouldn't want him thinking he couldn't attend AG because he felt embarrassed.

With the things you have mentioned at the end I'm surprised BMF are allowing the event to go ahead without those things in place, maybe they believe this event is being run by the previous organisers? So assume these things will be in hand?

Archived