IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Huddersfield Town Match Day Thread

Good afternoon one and all.

Good 'ole' Aizoon had a crack at the opposite fixture of this one back in the autumn of 2015 and for those who want a peak here it is along with some additional notes from myself..

So there is little need for an introduction to town nor team as is largely the case with many return fixtures.

Instead I shall delve into the memory lane of 'on this day in history'. I always find seeking coincidences for today's opponents a rather relevant way to be motivated to write something; without that not a lot of point in dedicating time to such trivialities. Perhaps a few of them will be football related.

The Yorkist Heir to the Kingdom of England was Edmund de la Pole and the 3rd Earl of Suffolk. Throughout his life he was contemplating an attack on the throne to claim it for himself. 

In 1501 the headstrong Edmund fled the Kingdom of England with the help of James Tyrrell, who was subsequently executed for it. Edmund sought the help of Emperor Maximilian I, the Holy Roman Emperor. In 1502 Maximilian agreed to a treaty not to back de la Pole should he make an attempt on the throne of England. In 1506, Maximilian's son, Philip of Burgundy, was blown off course while sailing, and reluctantly and unexpectedly became a guest of Henry VII. Needing to set sail again in order to claim his wife's inheritance, Philip was persuaded by Henry to hand over the Earl of Suffolk. Henry agreed to the proviso that Edmund would not be harmed and restricted himself to imprisoning the Earl. When Henry VIII ascended to the throne he did not feel quite so amenable to this agreement and had Suffolk executed on April 30th, 1513 in the Tower of London. It is almost certainly the last Yorkshireman who ever contemplated a coup d'etat against England itself. 

On April 30th, 1938 The FA Cup Final was televised on British TV, in full, for the first time. The TV audience was estimated at 10,000 whereas there were over 93,000 at Wembley. Preston played none other than Huddersfield Town and yes Preston won and, of course it had to be, in the last minute of extra time. 

And after 29 minutes it was still 0–0 and the BBC commentator Thomas Woodrooffe said "if there's a goal scored now, I'll eat my hat". Literally seconds later Preston were awarded a penalty from which George Mutch scored the winning goal; Woodrooffe kept his promise. It was in fact a repeat of the 1922 FA Cup final with the same final score but with the winners reversed.

Three of the players who participated in the final (Andy Beattie & Bill Shankly of Preston and Eddie Boot of Huddersfield) would all manage Huddersfield within 20 years of this final. Quite remarkable really. And seven of the Preston starting 11 were Scots with 4 Englishmen. Huddersfield's team, apart from one Scot, was entirely English.

A few other rather interesting and remarkable things happened on this day in history; 1945; Hitler committed suicide (or did he?..), 1974; Sir Alf Ramsey was sacked as England manager, 1980; The Iranian Embassy Siege in London began.

So on a day to be remembered for all of these things it will also be noted, at least in our club records, as the first match of the season that really meant absolutely nothing other than pride, a little extra prize money and experimentation. And that is exactly what Lee Johnson intends to do today according to reporting from the Huddersfield Daily Examiner, other papers too I am sure. So will German American retired footballer David Wagner wish to take revenge for our rather sublime away win earlier in the season. I am sure he will seek every opportunity to do so because he reckons his team are a 'big fish in the Championship and he wants to make them bigger' . Good luck there then Dave. And with no hint of additional sarcasm perhaps having been best man to Jurgen Klopp he might have some mentoring or advise he can lean on from time to time. Bit like Steve Clarke with Jose Mourinho perhaps. Hmmmm. However, Wagner got so drunk at Klopp's wedding he said he 'does not remember the Best Man speech'. He took over at Huddersfield on November 5th so he can take responsibility for losing to us just over a month later. In fact he lost his first three in charge before a win and then the defeat to City. 

Enjoy the match today folks. For us its a relaxed 'just for pride' non event but for so many other teams this day is of course very pivotal. So many clubs will have a season defining match. There is no league system anywhere on the planet that has delivered excitement year in and year out for well over a hundred years in a multiplicity of ways right across the country. That is why we all love football so much.

Will the much changed team deliver? Will a second Frenchman hit the turf for a first team debut and will Lee Johnson finally dispense with his Girly coat?

Let us at least have lots of goals please - 3-2 will do nicely.

2 French goals and 1 English.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3

And Huddersfield Town were the first club to achieve three successive Championship titles, under Herbert Chapman, and had the honour of being supported by one Harold Wilson.

Yes, we criticised him, but when you compare him with the piece of shit in the job today...

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

To me this signals goodbye to Baker and Odemwingie for sure. 

Excited to see Agard on the right I think, like he used to play for Rotherham. But can also go 442 with Tomlin out wide.

Defense is a slight concern but gives them chance to impress. 

Maybe the case with Baker, or he just wants to have a look at some options in the back four. With no Flint as well, that is were the concerns would all lay.