IGNORED

The Official Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

A very good afternoon to one and all. Match day 46. Where has the time gone. From the August sunshine of Hillsborough where most of us were still wearing a broad smile from the euphoric season before to the mid spring blooms of North West London with a relieved and relaxed mood about the camp and a renewed optimism for next season. From the supreme confidence of a manager who had just landed us a record breaking double to rants and spats with supporters in the space of 5 months and on to a prodigal son destined to have a crack at securing hero status if he achieves the ultimate dream anytime soon. Football is always thus; like life itself pace is rapid, change is eternal and after another blink of an eye time has passed us by.

And in approximately 9 hours from now the 121st season in the history of this football club will come to an end; that includes the DNA of Bristol South End. 9 seasons in the top flight and about the same number, slightly more in Level 2, in the middle two divisions and a couple in the wilderness. Our average is bottom of the Championship. This season, we have over achieved. Hopefully the level of over achievement we have just witnessed will not torture us for many years to come; time to improve on that average.

QPR, I wrote back in December, would be lifted by the arrival of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. That is not exactly how it has worked out for the Surinamer who has presided over just 6 wins in 27 matches since he oversaw his fist game in charge, a 0-0 draw at home to Burnley on December the 12th. He was a resounding success at Burton Albion but life with QPR has not yet been particularly pleasing, arriving on the day that Charlie Austin walked out the exit door. How he has spent that money, if he was indeed given any of it, is subject to debate but finishing mid table possibly only a win and a bubble and squeak ahead of us is a poor return. They have won one in the last eight and tend to have a propensity to draw at home and lose away. In fact they have won more games in less matches before he arrived; with thirteen victories all season they equal us. They really have missed Charlie Austin, JFH has stabilised the team under very tough financial constraints; could be the valid arguments why that is the case and it will be interesting to see today how City fans and the City team can get on the backs of our opposites to take the game to them.

I also wrote in December how QPR really are a small club in the west of London crowded out by so many other rivalries; they have not managed to assert themselves and never really have down the years save for a few glimpses of success. Its tough being squeezed in amongst a crowded field literally and metaphorically. However, some things are to be lauded such as the food; I do recall indulging in a rare football ground burger outside Loftus Road once and not that many years ago and it was top drawer. They proudly marketed the product as containing 100% ground beef from the organic farms of the West Country slotted between a low carb wholewheat bun. I felt I just had to buy one. To this day I can almost taste it. 

So that is it from me this season. Whether I shall venture these paths again next season remains to be seen. Perhaps a more deserving candidate will step into my shoes, perhaps I will be overwhelmed with all the humbling compliments and criticisms that I feel compelled to continue. I suppose only time will tell. As for Lee Johnson, I think he should be congratulated in equal measure with John Pemberton. Together, with Wade Elliott, the back room staff and those that have since left us we thank you all for keeping us in the second tier of the best Football League, in the worllllldddddddd.

Well done everyone for going to London today and don't forget the 'beam back' at Ashton Gate.. sure to be a delightful affair of passing, end to end football with a lot of young new faces given a run about and I am not talking about the young-uns in the Heineken Lounge. I would be more than happy though if Aaron Wilbraham pops up with an 81st minute goal again like he did at Ashton Gate to save our blushes only this time let it be the winner please. 1-3 with Tomlin sinking a blinder and Kodjia hitting his 20th league goal.

Good day all.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 17

Cracking as always @havanatopia

Your match day thread is part of my match day ritual, so you have to continue next season! With new teams coming up and down, where will I be without some artistically crafted geographical and historical research to set things up before kick off?

I'm going for 2-2 today in a fairly relaxed open game. Kodjia to bag at least one. 

Merry summer one and all. I look forward to the extremely lengthy threads of all our impending transfers. COYR

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Cracking as always @havanatopia

Your match day thread is part of my match day ritual, so you have to continue next season! With new teams coming up and down, where will I be without some artistically crafted geographical and historical research to set things up before kick off?

I'm going for 2-2 today in a fairly relaxed open game. Kodjia to bag at least one. 

Merry summer one and all. I look forward to the extremely lengthy threads of all our impending transfers. COYR

Oh I am not worthy, but my thanks and appreciation all the same :) .

• Like 2

It's a beautiful sunny day here in London. Off to Loftus Road for the first time today (and first away trip of the season). So looking forward to the game (restricted sight-line).

Thank you for the pre-match info Havanatopia, it is much appreciated, as is Big Tone's vital contribution… COYRs

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 2

I hope we give it a real good go today. We could finish as high as 15th or as low as 20th depending on today's results.

Wouldn't it be a great psychological boost if we could grab 15th and finish above Forest, Reading and Blackburn? 15th is a very respectable final position for a newly promoted club and gives off an aura of a season of consolidation rather than scraping survival.

As it turns out, I think we'll draw and finish 19th.

Edited by Kim_il_sung

City will win by at least 2 goals, and go into the summer on a high, and then take this 'high' into August, and be top of the table come the first week of September.  Whether we'll keep this 'high' going all season remains to be seen.

We can call it the Johnson Bounce, and hopefully it will bounce us to the top, sometime within the next 3 windows.

COME ON YOU REDSSSS.

Kodjia to keep on scoring (and stay with us for next season):fingerscrossed:

A great read as always, Havanatopia.

After the torrid first few months of the season I've really enjoyed the last few months with LJ at the helm and I'm confident about the future. Looking forward to next season already.

Here's hoping we can end this campaign with a decent result today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

A very good afternoon to one and all. Match day 46. Where has the time gone. From the August sunshine of Hillsborough where most of us were still wearing a broad smile from the euphoric season before to the mid spring blooms of North West London with a relieved and relaxed mood about the camp and a renewed optimism for next season. From the supreme confidence of a manager who had just landed us a record breaking double to rants and spats with supporters in the space of 5 months and on to a prodigal son destined to have a crack at securing hero status if he achieves the ultimate dream anytime soon. Football is always thus; like life itself pace is rapid, change is eternal and after another blink of an eye time has passed us by.

And in approximately 9 hours from now the 121st season in the history of this football club will come to an end; that includes the DNA of Bristol South End. 9 seasons in the top flight and about the same number, slightly more in Level 2, in the middle two divisions and a couple in the wilderness. Our average is bottom of the Championship. This season, we have over achieved. Hopefully the level of over achievement we have just witnessed will not torture us for many years to come; time to improve on that average.

QPR, I wrote back in December, would be lifted by the arrival of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. That is not exactly how it has worked out for the Surinamer who has presided over just 6 wins in 27 matches since he oversaw his fist game in charge, a 0-0 draw at home to Burnley on December the 12th. He was a resounding success at Burton Albion but life with QPR has not yet been particularly pleasing, arriving on the day that Charlie Austin walked out the exit door. How he has spent that money, if he was indeed given any of it, is subject to debate but finishing mid table possibly only a win and a bubble and squeak ahead of us is a poor return. They have won one in the last eight and tend to have a propensity to draw at home and lose away. In fact they have won more games in less matches before he arrived; with thirteen victories all season they equal us. They really have missed Charlie Austin, JFH has stabilised the team under very tough financial constraints; could be the valid arguments why that is the case and it will be interesting to see today how City fans and the City team can get on the backs of our opposites to take the game to them.

I also wrote in December how QPR really are a small club in the west of London crowded out by so many other rivalries; they have not managed to assert themselves and never really have down the years save for a few glimpses of success. Its tough being squeezed in amongst a crowded field literally and metaphorically. However, some things are to be lauded such as the food; I do recall indulging in a rare football ground burger outside Loftus Road once and not that many years ago and it was top drawer. They proudly marketed the product as containing 100% ground beef from the organic farms of the West Country slotted between a low carb wholewheat bun. I felt I just had to buy one. To this day I can almost taste it. 

So that is it from me this season. Whether I shall venture these paths again next season remains to be seen. Perhaps a more deserving candidate will step into my shoes, perhaps I will be overwhelmed with all the humbling compliments and criticisms that I feel compelled to continue. I suppose only time will tell. As for Lee Johnson, I think he should be congratulated in equal measure with John Pemberton. Together, with Wade Elliott, the back room staff and those that have since left us we thank you all for keeping us in the second tier of the best Football League, in the worllllldddddddd.

Well done everyone for going to London today and don't forget the 'beam back' at Ashton Gate.. sure to be a delightful affair of passing, end to end football with a lot of young new faces given a run about and I am not talking about the young-uns in the Heineken Lounge. I would be more than happy though if Aaron Wilbraham pops up with an 81st minute goal again like he did at Ashton Gate to save our blushes only this time let it be the winner please. 1-3 with Tomlin sinking a blinder and Kodjia hitting his 20th league goal.

Good day all.

UTC

I have been a sinner and not usually got around to reading your matchday post. It looked so long and I always seem to be in a rush. Today I sat down and read it and realised what I have been missing. Great read. Now I am hooked I hope you don't stop. 

• Like 1

Nice read as always Hava, dunno what size boots you wear but after this seasons match day threads I doubt there's any of us who are gifted enough to step into them, looking forward to more of your informative posts next season, have a chilled summer..

city to win...Oxford to win, just to make em sweat

Edited by Kingswood mask
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

Nice read as always Hava, dunno what size boots you wear but after this seasons match day threads I doubt there's any of us who are gifted enough to step into them, looking forward to more of your informative posts next season, have a chilled summer..

city to win...Oxford to win, just to make em sweat

Also need Stanley to win.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day all.

UTC

Well done Havana!   Thanks for your efforts this season, always very interesting, I hope you will continue next season and that with the help of some good signings in the Summer, the boys will improve next season and give us less worry than we have had this.  I don't really care about the result today, but a win would be nice, especially if some of the young lads are playing.  All the best and COYRs!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

They are all starting at the same time for obvious reasons, at least I am presuming they will be.

Cricfree have Stanley listed as 17.00 our time, which is 15.00 UK time, so are all the L2 games at that time. I thought 15.00 KO were never televised?

28 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Are not Stanley a later KO today, that will make the Gas sweat, even if they win!  Cricfree have Stanley's game listed as a stream, so may watch it later.

No, all L2 games are 3 P.M. kick offs.