IGNORED

Vegetarian Options at The Gate

DavidNoble

8 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

As touched upon in the older FGR topic, i think it's embarassing that Ashton gate only offers one vegetarian option (cheese and onion pasty). 

Any chance that they can introduce a slightly larger range that meat eaters could still be interested in?

#meatismurder

No such thing as a vegetarian, only people that haven't tasted bacon 

Wow, I really didn't intend to debate veggy vs. meat eaters, nor am I trying to take away meat options.

At the last home game if I remember rightly there was 6 meat options for pies but nothing vegetarian.

I would imagine that a decent percentage of fans are vegetarian at the home games, plus also I said and others have mentioned vegetarian options can still be appealing to other people. It would be good if they could cater for the food requirements of more of the fans,

(Obviously nobody cares and nobody likes to be told about how to eat etc. but it is national vegetarian week next week and I challenge some of you to try some of the Quorn meat substitute alternatives; they're cheaper, more healthy for you, protects the environment, and saves animals. I was a huuuuge meat eater for the first 24 years of my life and have recently gone vegetarian for the past 3 months and don't miss meat at all. I know this will get shot down as I used to be the same but just educate yourself into the sourcing of meat products and try make a reduction where possible.)

15 minutes ago, DavidNoble said:

(Obviously nobody cares and nobody likes to be told about how to eat etc. but it is national vegetarian week next week and I challenge some of you to try some of the Quorn meat substitute alternatives; they're cheaper, more healthy for you, protects the environment, and saves animals. I was a huuuuge meat eater for the first 24 years of my life and have recently gone vegetarian for the past 3 months and don't miss meat at all. I know this will get shot down as I used to be the same but just educate yourself into the sourcing of meat products and try make a reduction where possible.)

Quorn is quite frankly disgusting IMO, I've tried it and never again... rather just have no meat.

For the record eat plenty of fruit and veg, but will never give up on the chicken/lamb/pork/beef and so on... 

23 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Quorn is quite frankly disgusting IMO, I've tried it and never again... rather just have no meat.

For the record eat plenty of fruit and veg, but will never give up on the chicken/lamb/pork/beef and so on... 

I've never tried Quorn and I agree with you .

I'm a vegetarian and will not rest until all the world is vegetarian and you meat eating dogs are wiped out or converted.

Salad law will prevail .

Peas on your house .

7 hours ago, Spoons said:

#meatismurder??????!!!!!!

are you on a wind up? Bring yourself some carrots sticks and dips down to the gate. Being a vegetarian at a football game your in a small minority so get used to having a cheese pasty and stop moaning. 

You go to football to watch football not look at the vegetarian options on a menu!! 

Maybe you should you should consider a FGR season ticket ?

I realise this may be  wooooooosh moment, but is this response totally over the top?

6 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'll often take the veggie option if I don't know the place as there's a good possibility that the meat is halal / kosher (throat cut whilst fully conscious and then hung up to bleed to death, animal cruelty in the name of allah / yahweh) and whilst I eat a lot of meat I don't agree with torturing animals to obtain it.

That basically rules out 99% of the meat served in the UK then. If that is your stance then you should really eat no meat at all, unless of course you are having a dig at religions for the sake of it. 

1 hour ago, DavidNoble said:

Me too, 21 years of meat then went vegan late last year. I have no objection to killing animals so long as it is not an industrial process. However quite simply having some chips would be a good start as a veggie option that most can enjoy. That said I cannot remember the last time I bought food at any football ground.

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

That basically rules out 99% of the meat served in the UK then. If that is your stance then you should really eat no meat at all, unless of course you are having a dig at religions for the sake of it. 

What nonsense. There is legislation and procedures in place to minimise animals' suffering as they are slaughtered. Sure they're going to suffer a bit but the aim is to minimise it.

Unless it's halal or kosher slaughter.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

What nonsense. There is legislation and procedures in place to minimise animals' suffering as they are slaughtered. Sure they're going to suffer a bit but the aim is to minimise it.

The slaughter may be cleaner but most Kosher/halal animals (and I say most, not all) have happier lives whilst alive. Our animal rights laws deem it fine to pack livestock into spaces where they cannot move and never see the light of day. The death is not the cruelest bit, it is how they are kept.

16 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The slaughter may be cleaner but most Kosher/halal animals (and I say most, not all) have happier lives whilst alive. Our animal rights laws deem it fine to pack livestock into spaces where they cannot move and never see the light of day. The death is not the cruelest bit, it is how they are kept.

So you continue to improve ànimal welfare standards rather than extending the throat cutting of live animals.

By purchasing halal / kosher meat you are paying somebody to cut a fully conscious animal's throat.

I object to that. I'm surprised that you don't.

15 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Sadly,  even with these procédures and legislation in place , there is still abuse at abattoirs . Recently ,in France , workers in Slaughterhouses have been filming , undercover,  what goes on and it is horrifying and inhumane.

Whoops ,now you're drawing in me in .

Go decide for yourselves .

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

So you continue to improve ànimal welfare standards rather than extending the throat cutting of live animals.

By purchasing halal / kosher meet you are paying somebody to cut a fully conscious animal's throat.

I object to that. I'm surprised that you don't.

I don't eat any meat mate. I'm not supporting it in anyway. I'm simply pointing out that there is extreme suffering that animals experience before the slaughter process, far worse than the halal/kosher slaughter process. 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sadly,  even with these procédures and legislation in place , there is still abuse at abattoirs . Recently ,in France , workers in Slaughterhouses have been filming , undercover,  what goes on and it is horrifying and inhumane.

Whoops ,now you're drawing in me in .

Go decide for yourselves .

And is illegal and punishable.

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I don't eat any meat mate. I'm not supporting it in anyway. I'm simply pointing out that there is extreme suffering that animals experience before the slaughter process, far worse than the halal/kosher slaughter process. 

So you do something about that as well; that's what animal welfare standards ate for.

Would you object if your neighbour, instead of having their dog put to sleep by the vet, hung it up from a tree and cut its throat?

Or would you be fine with that as long as it's got some religious justifications?

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

So you do something about that as well; that's what animal welfare standards ate for.

Would you object if your neighbour, instead of having their dog put to sleep by the vet, hung it up from a tree and cut its throat?

Or would you be fine with that as long as it's got some religious justifications?

Would you be fine if your neighbor kept its dog in a cage so small it couldn't even turn around, never let it out and kept it in a room with no natural light...thought not. I'm not supporting hanging animals up and silting their throats, I am against it. But what I'm saying is if you are against animal suffering then be against it. Don't pick and choose when is suits you.   

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And is illegal and punishable.

IF these excuses for human beings are caught .

The workers who did the filming took huge risks to expose the mistreatment .

The owner of the abattoir was indignant that they had filmed on a hidden camera , threatening to take them to court !

I don't suppose for one minute that these are isolated cases . No-one could condone this activity and frankly , no-one would want to be associated with eating the meat of these animals who where treated so cruelly and with such little regard for the dignity of life .

55 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It's a reply to a stupid thread , who cares about food at the gate. Meat or vegetarian ! We are there to watch the football 

Probably the club if they are losing out on potential revenues.

It makes sense for the club to move with the times and offer more vegetarian options as more people choose a meat free lifestyle. 

Don't want to get to involved in the debate but when I did eat meat I used to try to eat "ethically" but really there is nothing ethical or cruelty free in ending an animals life early if it's healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Would you be fine if your neighbor kept its dog in a cage so small it couldn't even turn around, never let it out and kept it in a room with no natural light...thought not. I'm not supporting hanging animals up and silting their throats, I am against it. But what I'm saying is if you are against animal suffering then be against it. Don't pick and choose when is suits you.   

The picking and choosing is free range animals, welfare standard meat, and not halal / kosher.

So better life / better death.

All standards are improving apart from slaughter which is becoming crueller but point this out and you are accused of having a problem with certain religions rather than with the throwing up of humane slaughter in favour of live throat cutting. Nice.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

IF these excuses for human beings are caught .

The workers who did the filming took huge risks to expose the mistreatment .

The owner of the abattoir was indignant that they had filmed on a hidden camera , threatening to take them to court !

I don't suppose for one minute that these are isolated cases . No-one could condone this activity and frankly , no-one would want to be associated with eating the meat of these animals who where treated so cruelly and with such little regard for the dignity of life .

No. And you would not expect it to be openly and actively condoned by supermarkets.  Unlike....

I hope that the existing pies are not halal or kosher!  If they are then they should also sell pork pies because civilised people would feel uncomfortable having their meat killed in a barbaric fashion.  I cannot see why there is no decent veggie choice when it might bring new customers to the kiosks and more revenue to City.

49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The picking and choosing is free range animals, welfare standard meat, and not halal / kosher.

So better life / better death.

All standards are improving apart from slaughter which is becoming crueller but point this out and you are accused of having a problem with certain religions rather than with the throwing up of humane slaughter in favour of live throat cutting. Nice.

Mate, all I'm going to leave you on is that there are disgusting practices that exist en mass within the free range and organic sectors too. If you want to dig deeper then that is your decision, but all I ask is that you treat the cruelty that is within regular meat production with the same disgust as you do regarding the slaughter of halal/kosher animals, as it is all horrific.

All animal slaughter is really unpleasant - but Middle Eastern religions seem to really promote enjoyment of the process.  In a rational world we would all be strong enough to be veggies - but I really love meat and, as long as the killing is assumed to be of the least unpleasant variety, I am happy to eat the stuff.  We fatten and kill our own poultry - and it is sensational - but I always get someone else to "do the deed" because I am a moral coward.  The little lambs that we reared tasted great as well!

Archived