Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidNoble

Vegetarian Options at The Gate

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sadly,  even with these procédures and legislation in place , there is still abuse at abattoirs . Recently ,in France , workers in Slaughterhouses have been filming , undercover,  what goes on and it is horrifying and inhumane.

Whoops ,now you're drawing in me in .

Go decide for yourselves .

 

And is illegal and punishable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I don't eat any meat mate. I'm not supporting it in anyway. I'm simply pointing out that there is extreme suffering that animals experience before the slaughter process, far worse than the halal/kosher slaughter process. 

So you do something about that as well; that's what animal welfare standards ate for.

Would you object if your neighbour, instead of having their dog put to sleep by the vet, hung it up from a tree and cut its throat?

Or would you be fine with that as long as it's got some religious justifications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

So you do something about that as well; that's what animal welfare standards ate for.

Would you object if your neighbour, instead of having their dog put to sleep by the vet, hung it up from a tree and cut its throat?

Or would you be fine with that as long as it's got some religious justifications?

Would you be fine if your neighbor kept its dog in a cage so small it couldn't even turn around, never let it out and kept it in a room with no natural light...thought not. I'm not supporting hanging animals up and silting their throats, I am against it. But what I'm saying is if you are against animal suffering then be against it. Don't pick and choose when is suits you.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And is illegal and punishable.

IF these excuses for human beings are caught .

The workers who did the filming took huge risks to expose the mistreatment .

The owner of the abattoir was indignant that they had filmed on a hidden camera , threatening to take them to court !

I don't suppose for one minute that these are isolated cases . No-one could condone this activity and frankly , no-one would want to be associated with eating the meat of these animals who where treated so cruelly and with such little regard for the dignity of life .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Spoons said:

It's a reply to a stupid thread , who cares about food at the gate. Meat or vegetarian ! We are there to watch the football 

Probably the club if they are losing out on potential revenues.

It makes sense for the club to move with the times and offer more vegetarian options as more people choose a meat free lifestyle. 

Don't want to get to involved in the debate but when I did eat meat I used to try to eat "ethically" but really there is nothing ethical or cruelty free in ending an animals life early if it's healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Would you be fine if your neighbor kept its dog in a cage so small it couldn't even turn around, never let it out and kept it in a room with no natural light...thought not. I'm not supporting hanging animals up and silting their throats, I am against it. But what I'm saying is if you are against animal suffering then be against it. Don't pick and choose when is suits you.   

The picking and choosing is free range animals, welfare standard meat, and not halal / kosher.

So better life / better death.

All standards are improving apart from slaughter which is becoming crueller but point this out and you are accused of having a problem with certain religions rather than with the throwing up of humane slaughter in favour of live throat cutting. Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

IF these excuses for human beings are caught .

The workers who did the filming took huge risks to expose the mistreatment .

The owner of the abattoir was indignant that they had filmed on a hidden camera , threatening to take them to court !

I don't suppose for one minute that these are isolated cases . No-one could condone this activity and frankly , no-one would want to be associated with eating the meat of these animals who where treated so cruelly and with such little regard for the dignity of life .

No. And you would not expect it to be openly and actively condoned by supermarkets.  Unlike....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that the existing pies are not halal or kosher!  If they are then they should also sell pork pies because civilised people would feel uncomfortable having their meat killed in a barbaric fashion.  I cannot see why there is no decent veggie choice when it might bring new customers to the kiosks and more revenue to City.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The picking and choosing is free range animals, welfare standard meat, and not halal / kosher.

So better life / better death.

All standards are improving apart from slaughter which is becoming crueller but point this out and you are accused of having a problem with certain religions rather than with the throwing up of humane slaughter in favour of live throat cutting. Nice.

Mate, all I'm going to leave you on is that there are disgusting practices that exist en mass within the free range and organic sectors too. If you want to dig deeper then that is your decision, but all I ask is that you treat the cruelty that is within regular meat production with the same disgust as you do regarding the slaughter of halal/kosher animals, as it is all horrific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All animal slaughter is really unpleasant - but Middle Eastern religions seem to really promote enjoyment of the process.  In a rational world we would all be strong enough to be veggies - but I really love meat and, as long as the killing is assumed to be of the least unpleasant variety, I am happy to eat the stuff.  We fatten and kill our own poultry - and it is sensational - but I always get someone else to "do the deed" because I am a moral coward.  The little lambs that we reared tasted great as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I realise this may be  wooooooosh moment, but is this response totally over the top?

The clue's in his Avatar.

If he really believed all he says about meat- he'd be called Forks. No one eats meat with Spoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, glastonred said:

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

And the ball, is that still leather?  Also the boots, still leather? 

 

I I actually don't know the answer to the above. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Mmmm all this talking about meat, I'm very tempted to put the bbq on this afternoon. 

Any recommendations for a butchers that does a decent bbq selection? 

Bristol Meat Machine. £20 BBQ pack comes with jumbos, quarter pounders, chicken legs etc. http://www.bristolmeatmachine.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I've never tried Quorn

Give it a go. I love it.

 

Gotta be honest, I'm not veggie. But I do like veg options. For example, leek and potato pie rather than cheese and onion pasty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Bristol Meat Machine. £20 BBQ pack comes with jumbos, quarter pounders, chicken legs etc. http://www.bristolmeatmachine.co.uk/

Give it a go. I love it.

 

Gotta be honest, I'm not veggie. But I do like veg options. For example, leek and potato pie rather than cheese and onion pasty. 

The ribs in my pic are from there - fantastic butcher

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, glastonred said:

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

So one meat-free option at Ashton Gate is insulting but banning the sale of meat is ok?...the arrogance..

Why not both? If there's enough demand, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glastonred said:

As a vegetarian since the early Seventies I would love there to be more meat-free options available before a match. Just having one option is insulting. In fact there should be more than one vegan option too. If anyone says we come to Ashton Gate for the football, not the food, then the same can be said about alcohol. I look forward to the day when all football grounds follow the example of Forest Green Rovers and ban the sale of meat forever. 

You will be waiting a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Probably the club if they are losing out on potential revenues.

It makes sense for the club to move with the times and offer more vegetarian options as more people choose a meat free lifestyle. 

Don't want to get to involved in the debate but when I did eat meat I used to try to eat "ethically" but really there is nothing ethical or cruelty free in ending an animals life early if it's healthy. 

 

Don't want to get involved in the debate ???  With comments about ending animals life's early to feed us humans you've opened a can of worms!!! 

This is way above my intelligence level so I'm going to leave it. I don't care if u eat meat or don't I just don't want to read about it on a football forum!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The ribs in my pic are from there - fantastic butcher

 

Just can't knock em. I spent £20 on a 4.5lb pork belly joint and 5lb turkey joint at Christmas and they were sensational. The same 2 things in Tesco I was looking at about £30. 

I always get my meat from there. Well worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spoons said:

Don't want to get involved in the debate ???  With comments about ending animals life's early to feed us humans you've opened a can of worms!!! 

This is way above my intelligence level so I'm going to leave it. I don't care if u eat meat or don't I just don't want to read about it on a football forum!!

 

Yeah I basically feel the same I've always said it's a personal choice. Not sure why so many get defensive about it. 

It's irrelevant if you want to discuss it on a football forum or not and it's quite easy to skip by the thread. There any many threads on this forum about different areas of the club and they are potentially missing out on extra revenue by having one veggie choice with more people giving up meat. Simple really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The catering is just based on making money, not right and wrong and they'll stock whatever sells best.

I eat meat but would defo prefer better options and don't trust the meat sold at stadiums.

Times are changing though. Daniel Sturridge, Peter Siddell, David Haye are all examples of world class vegan sports stars. nutritionists actually suggests that meat is counterproductive for health, but I don't see many down the Gate who would worry about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denmark banned halal / kosher slaughter a couple of years ago; rightly seeing that it is nonsense to have animal rights legislation in place whilst giving an exemption to people who want to cut living animals' throats.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-bans-halal-and-kosher-slaughter-as-minister-says-animal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2016 at 12:27, DavidNoble said:

(Obviously nobody cares and nobody likes to be told about how to eat etc. but it is national vegetarian week next week and I challenge some of you to try some of the Quorn meat substitute alternatives; they're cheaper, more healthy for you, protects the environment, and saves animals. I was a huuuuge meat eater for the first 24 years of my life and have recently gone vegetarian for the past 3 months and don't miss meat at all. I know this will get shot down as I used to be the same but just educate yourself into the sourcing of meat products and try make a reduction where possible.)

The idea of Quorn puts people off.  It appears like Veggies wanting their food processed and meat-shaped.  Why not just make a meal out of non-meat foods without all the processing?  Hot and spicy curried lentils is as tasty a curry as I've ever had.  No need for a packet or box.

Its one reason I love the Mediterranean and it's street food.  Loads of superb, cheap, easy food as simple as can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...