IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Personally I thought Brighton and Derby were the teams that looked like they had it 'right' this season, even more so than     'Boro and Burnley. But look where that got them, still playing little old us next season. 

Derby is interesting.  I have noticed the last few years they seem to lose their bottle as the season starts drawing to a close.  Hopefully we play our second game against them near the end of the season.

The little bits I have seen of you, you don't look too bad.  Yeah you could do with the odd player here and there but there is potential there.

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Middlesbrough 

I was really looking for the unknown quantity, but it seems the best ones are the ones that went up or nearly did.  Burton is the one I'm not looking forward to.  It'll be a great weekend for the fans because many will stay over at Alton towers and make a weekend of it, but the thought of our pampered stars going there fills me with dread.

Bonus is I might actually get to see something I have never seen before, the away support being bigger than the home support.  I might be able to cross that off my bucket list.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bit of tongue and cheek. We beat them twice this season. Best side on a serious note were Brighton down the gate . 

I love Hughton to bits but he will make sure his team are well up for the match against us.  He will have a point to prove and rightly so IMO.  What happened to him at the toon was an absolute disgrace.

It could prove a very tricky fixture indeed.  I hope we don't need the points when we play them the second time.

1 hour ago, The Mag said:

It would certainly be interesting with Tomlin on one side and Townsend on the other.  Most of us wanted Aarons to play but I guess it's a gamble we can't afford as he was injured a lot last season.

What is is personality like?  Would he be ok being a sub in some games?  He won't be guaranteed a starting place if Aarons is fit.

People may have a different opinion to me but If you are looking for a winger then you should look elsewhere. He's not a winger, he needs to be played behind the striker. Doesn't have the pace to be a winger in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

People may have a different opinion to me but If you are looking for a winger then you should look elsewhere. He's not a winger, he needs to be played behind the striker. Doesn't have the pace to be a winger in my opinion.

We have half a dozen who want to play behind the striker.

4 minutes ago, The Mag said:

I love Hughton to bits but he will make sure his team are well up for the match against us.  He will have a point to prove and rightly so IMO.  What happened to him at the toon was an absolute disgrace.

It could prove a very tricky fixture indeed.  I hope we don't need the points when we play them the second time.

no you should be clear of relegation by then

4 minutes ago, lost black rat said:

no you should be clear of relegation by then

Really looking forward to coming down your way.  Enjoy the banter.  

I'm off now lads as your forums should be for your own supporters.

It's been fun and thanks for the info.

I hope you at least make the play offs next season.

1 hour ago, The Mag said:

Who are the best teams you have played this season?

Definitely Brighton and Derby for me. 

Oddly Fulham (at Ashton Gate) were the first team to really give us a schooling this season. They looked incredible that day, but maybe we were just extra shit. 

26 minutes ago, The Mag said:

We have half a dozen who want to play behind the striker.

Then to be honest (and I'm not saying this just because we want him) you really don't need him. Can you just nip down to St James' Park and let the powers that be know this. It will save a lot of time for all of us :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Definitely Brighton and Derby for me. 

Oddly Fulham (at Ashton Gate) were the first team to really give us a schooling this season. They looked incredible that day, but maybe we were just extra shit. 

we were shit

26 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

we were shit

I really remember that they were the first team that came to AG and really set out to stop us playing - chasing down every player with constant pressing. 

All season we struggled against teams who wouldn't give us any time on the ball. I said all season we could play nice passing football when we were given time to play by teams happy to sit off, but we lacked the technical ability to do so under constant pressing. 

Derby (second half at home) and Brighton showed us exactly the same. 

4 hours ago, The Mag said:

First off I would like to say good luck on next season except when you play us of course.  I always had a soft spot for you since we got Andy Cole off you.

Secondly, the comment I am going to make now seems like a WUM but it's not.  It's an honest opinion.

Newcastle are self sufficient, are going to hold onto most of their players and are even talking about taking out a bank loan (they don't currently have one) to add to the parachute payment for new players and to cover wages.

I don't see anybody being able to outbid them if they want a player.

There is also the draw of Rafa Benitez and playing in front of 50,000 each week.  I don't see anyone really competing with that.

Tomlinson is an experienced championship player and just what we need.  We have already sold Cabella, released Obertan and no doubt will sell Thauvin to a french club as he is getting MOM over there quite frequently but was to lightweight for the PL.  So I'm not surprised we are looking at wingers first.

The one thing that bugs me is the Rooney tweet.  If he did it against Bournemouth would he do it against us?

Aye , most definately .

He's talented but trouble , through and through.

Nearly caused us to go down after splitting the dressing room .

:disapointed2se:

3 hours ago, The Mag said:

Derby is interesting.  I have noticed the last few years they seem to lose their bottle as the season starts drawing to a close.  Hopefully we play our second game against them near the end of the season.

The little bits I have seen of you, you don't look too bad.  Yeah you could do with the odd player here and there but there is potential there.

We already have odd players.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

So is it worth playing a complete season's matches or shall we just promote you now? A bit of humility rather than abrasive arrogance might not go amiss but let's remind ourselves of the big boys who have at one time or another fallen further than the second tier at some time in their illustrious history.

Southampton, Norwich City, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Manchester City, West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City, Stoke City and while there are others that I will not list here, how about this one to finish with? Leicester City.

You may have shed loads of money to spend but it is still about eleven players a side. If the only thing that mattered was money, you would still be in the Prem with little AFC Bournemouth demoted straight back to Division Three.  

I don't read The Mag as being arrogant. He's stating a fact.  Yes, teams have fallen further and Newcastle may do so but, for next season Newcastle (perhaps along with the Villa) are the biggest draw in the league. They can out-compete everyone financially and in terms of attraction.  That's not to say they'll walk the league (I don't think they will) but it does mean that, if they are in for a player we are after, it's going to be very hard for us to convince that player we're the better offer

My guess is that, if Newcastle went in for Tomlin, he'd jump at the opportunity and I don't blame him for that.  However I also don't believe Newcastle will go in for Tomlin (at least until players leave) as they have a number of attacking midfielders of a similar quality. 

Can I just say, thank you to Newcastle United for allowing us to play them, gracing us with their presence and even sharing the same webpage on bbc sport as them.

We may as well gift wrap 6 pts, the league trophy and all the very best players before the season kicks off to be honest.

Jeeeeeez.  Welcome to the Championship. Enjoy finding your way to Burton Albion... 

3 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Can I just say, thank you to Newcastle United for allowing us to play them, gracing us with their presence and even sharing the same webpage on bbc sport as them.

We may as well gift wrap 6 pts, the league trophy and all the very best players before the season kicks off to be honest.

Jeeeeeez.  Welcome to the Championship. Enjoy finding your way to Burton Albion... 

they didn't beat us last time…:fear:

20 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

I genuinely don't get the hostility here.  I can't help thinking people are reading far more into the guy's post than was actually there...  

Don't get where people are saying The Mag was arrogant, compared to fans of other clubs I've seen both on here and other forums think they came across well enough and with good intentions. Do people really think Townsend will stay at Newcastle, he's in the 26 for the euros, at 24 he's in a great position for making the 2018 WC squad and spending a season in the championship could hurt him greatly, I expect him to be off this summer. If true about them having a lot of players in just behind the striker then maybe we don't have anything to worry about in regards to Newcastle, think Tomlin would rather go to a club where he will play regularly then be a bit part player, not saying it will be us, but if Newcastle won't give him the game time I expect him to look elsewhere.

Archived