IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

If (big if) they actually are prepared to let him go on a free we'd be mad not to consider matching his wages or making him a good offer if not matching it.

30k per week, let's say that's 15k above our self imposed 'cap' - a £3m transfer fee would be equivalent to 3 years+ of wage 'excess'.

Might not be the ideal scenario but SL is a businessman and players of his ilk do not come along frequently for nowt. 

• Admin
51 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If (big if) they actually are prepared to let him go on a free we'd be mad not to consider matching his wages or making him a good offer if not matching it.

30k per week, let's say that's 15k above our self imposed 'cap' - a £3m transfer fee would be equivalent to 3 years+ of wage 'excess'.

Might not be the ideal scenario but SL is a businessman and players of his ilk do not come along frequently for nowt. 

The free player in that article is Murray.

Unless his heart is set on a move here, i can't see us competing with those sorts of figures.

I do think we should try and put the best offer we can on the table, get it in quick and see what happens though.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Fulham who were fighting relegation  with us all season willing to take on 30k pw!? Next Portsmouth if that's the case....

Can't see them wanting to let him go for free either.

Fulham are still on parachute payments though ?

If so, they wouldn't have a problem with those wages, I would assume.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 15:18, Lordofthebling said:

Don't worry, I already am.

Remember, we spent a few years trying to compete with the mighty Sheffield United, so I know how to zone out.

I'm still worried they will win their last 17 games and catch up

Still keeps me awake at night

As for @The Mag - I liked him. Didn't come on here to be a nob, knew his stuff, welcome back anytime. I'd be pretty confident too, if they convince Rafa to stay, to be fair

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Unless his heart is set on a move here, i can't see us competing with those sorts of figures.

I do think we should try and put the best offer we can on the table, get it in quick and see what happens though.

Unfortunately very true, and this is why football has got to be one of the most frustrating things in life.:grr:

Does anyone know if we will ever get to a point where the above phrase will no longer be relevant?

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Fulham are still on parachute payments though ?

If so, they wouldn't have a problem with those wages, I would assume.

They might well be, but they must've seriously overspent for them to have been under embargo, which has only just been lifted.

They will need to generate income from the likely sale of McCormack.  I'm not sure if they'll get anything for Dembele - assume they will they not get development compensation bearing in mind it was PSG who developed him.

I don't think they'll have much cash to throw around.

If he is on 30k(reported but who knows) then I think we should move on. I can't see anyone halfing their wages or there abouts when they have willing clubs to pay the full amount. Unless BCFC want him bad enough and give him his current wage, I think it may be best served to move on. Maybe ask the question later if he hasn't moved but we can't compete with Fulham or Newcastle and the FFP rules are just there to collect fines. There is no real punishment. 

If we got ambitions to challenge the top 6 in the Championship we need to pay the going rate in wages to attract the quality players we need!

If we made it to the Premiership on the wage structure we use then are we going to challenge in the prem with a 15k a week wage cap? It's there to be broke and one day it will, why not now?

It's pretty frustrating not being able to compete financially with most teams in our league considering we have a very wealthy owner, it just seems like we are trying to do it on the cheap!

• Admin

Newcastle aren't in for him and £15k was our wage cap last season (that we didn't hit anyway).

On the basis that the hierarchy want to be challenging at the top end of the division and if we did achieve that (I believe) we could add another 33% onto last seasons average gate, it follows that we could also increase our wage cap by the same 33% leading to a max wage of 20k. Add some creative promotion clauses and a decent sign on fee and we aren't such an unattractive option given Lee clearly enjoys it down here. 

1 hour ago, yardy said:

If we got ambitions to challenge the top 6 in the Championship we need to pay the going rate in wages to attract the quality players we need!

If we made it to the Premiership on the wage structure we use then are we going to challenge in the prem with a 15k a week wage cap? It's there to be broke and one day it will, why not now?

It's pretty frustrating not being able to compete financially with most teams in our league considering we have a very wealthy owner, it just seems like we are trying to do it on the cheap!

It's irrelevant how rich the owner is though isn't it? I understood that we can only spend within the limits of the FFP (if that's correct) and the turnover/profit of the club/business. Therefore I don't think SL can just chuck vast amount on fees and wages otherwise we run the risk of sanctions.

38 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It's irrelevant how rich the owner is though isn't it? I understood that we can only spend within the limits of the FFP (if that's correct) and the turnover/profit of the club/business. Therefore I don't think SL can just chuck vast amount on fees and wages otherwise we run the risk of sanctions.

I'm led to believe we were well within our FFP budget, and acctually had the second smallest budget in the league last season. Whether that's what cotterill intended at the start of the season is debatable. 

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I'm led to believe we were well within our FFP budget, and acctually had the second smallest budget in the league last season. Whether that's what cotterill intended at the start of the season is debatable. 

Do fees count towards FFP or is it just wages. I thought I heard somewhere they were exempt.

39 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

We can spend what we like. Just run the risk of not being able to strengthen the squad in a future transfer window(s). It's not what we want to do though. What we can spend is whatever we bring in plus we can lose I think it is 3m and be in compliance. After that, if the owner is willing, can spend 10m of his own money on top of that. Basically, we can have a loss of up to 13m, that's how I read it, per season. So the more money we make the more we can spend but SL can add some extra to it if need be. It's real complicated but a rich owner helps if he's willing. 

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I think at championship level it's all about club loses, Not wages. At league 1, it's all about wages.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct.  In league one and two it's Wages as a percentage of turnover.

Makes sense, I suppose it stops clubs buying their way out of the division by overpaying players.

4 hours ago, kivsy said:

how can newcastle bid for a player with no boss ? rafa may not fancy him , for once im reasonably confident as regards tomlin  would start, play every game, score and be city fans favourite, 

Newcastle currently have a transfer board thar identifies and signs the players. 

For Rafa to sign it's one of the blocks he wants removed so he has complete transfer autonomy. 

On that note it's still not over yet for Newcastle in terms of him staying.

As for Tomlin, he's known to them but I understand he's not an immediate target. 

30k a week is a price worth paying for a player who has the potential to be hugely influential and him alongside a few other canny signings and we have the makings of a much more serious squad. 

Archived