IGNORED

TEN MONTHS of traffic chaos around Ashton Gate on the horizon

phantom

I'm outraged, I regularly use this area to walk my dog, as do others. Not to mention the youngsters that regularly play cricket on it. How do I go about getting it protected status like the village green?

10 hours ago, archie andrews said:

why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist?.......this is Bristol were talking about and **** all ever gets done...all mouth as usual

This IS happening

46 minutes ago, madmax said:

Just what I didn't want to read as a local, nightmare! Winterstoke Road is already badly congested 6 hours a day during rush hours, this will make it 10 times worse!

I'm with you on that one! I also dont want Winterstoke road to be badly congested for 60 hours per day! :P  :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

I'm with you on that one! I also dont want Winterstoke road to be badly congested for 60 hours per day! :P  :ph34r:

Protest ! Probably won't do any good , but People in Frenchay, Stapleton, UWE  kicked off about Stoke Lane being shut while the Metro Bus lane is built and they appear to have been successful . 

So it says the slip road to cumberland basin will be closed, so would people be able to go up the ramp to Ashton Rd/A370, turn right down to the roundabout, come back up onto Brunel Way? So almost as if you still took the underpass just a bit longer, can imagine in rush hour it would be crazy but if travelling back at quieter times may work alright, also coming down the portway is the route past Ashton Gate still as normal that way (barring the extra traffic) or is something that way going to be shut too?

So, do I have this right?  We all complain about the lack of a decent public transport infrastructure in Bristol, but when something positive is actually being done to improve the situation, we complain about that too because of the short-term traffic impact?  You can't have it both ways.  A tram network would be brilliant but would we all object because of the inevitable roadworks it would cause?

The increased height of the bridge is neither here nor there, the bridge was due to be built anyway.

21 hours ago, lanceloto said:

Will the link road between the A370 and the A38 be open before the works for this bridge for the metrobus are finished? could ease up the traffic venturing down winterstoke at least? I'm not sure why they are building the entire route in one go... surely the sooner the section between A370 and Bridgwater road is open the better?

They should unpedestrianise East street while the works are on, reduce the reliance of Winterstoke as peoples only option (Might improve the shops there un'all)

and build a New York highline style walk way and cycle path over the cut while they are at it freeing up space for parking all the way along cumberland and Coronation road. :)... and... i want a jet pack...

Please give it up..... Jet will not be coming back!!

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So, do I have this right?  We all complain about the lack of a decent public transport infrastructure in Bristol, but when something positive is actually being done to improve the situation, we complain about that too because of the short-term traffic impact?  You can't have it both ways.  A tram network would be brilliant but would we all object because of the inevitable roadworks it would cause?

The increased height of the bridge is neither here nor there, the bridge was due to be built anyway.

its not about it actually being done thats the problem, its about the absolute shambles in the way the project is being ran and the escalating costs using a piss poor excuse of future railway electrification (which is 100% not happening on that branch line) as an excuse,

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'd say the bus service in Bristol is now quite decent. Vastly improved service. Used it many times recently myself and there is nothing to complain about. £4 travel all day, frequent and reliable services. 

What we didn't need was a glorified bus lane Carved through our City.

My position is all this work and money and disruption for a bloody bus lane?

Had it been a tram then you would find many more people being much more understanding. 

If I hear them tell me a stonking stinky diesel bus is 'green' one more time I shall scream.

12 minutes ago, Just Red said:

If I hear them tell me a stonking stinky diesel bus is 'green' one more time I shall scream.

A stonking stinky diesel bus is green I tell thee.

Hark what is that I hear in the distance?:shifty::ph34r::P:whistle:

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hmm, I wouldnt say that 3 buses an hour.... Yep 3!!! Is going to improve anything. 

2 hours ago, streety_bcfc said:

Hmm, I wouldnt say that 3 buses an hour.... Yep 3!!! Is going to improve anything. 

It's a step in the right direction and there is nothing to say the frequency can't be increased in the future.

I would prefer to reserve judgement until it's finished rather than rushing to declare it a failure before the work has even begun.

• Admin

An update:

Our contractors have started preparatory work on the MetroBus skew bridge on Winterstoke Road.

The bridge will allow MetroBus to cross the Portbury Freight line between Barons Close and Ashton Vale Road without taking space from the road. It will also ensure MetroBus services are rapid and reliable. The bridge means services will avoid Winterstoke Road and the Cumberland Basin where congestion is forecast to increase in the coming years.

When we originally designed the bridge in 2012 it had a clearance of 5.1 metres. Since then, we’ve worked with Network Rail to redesign the bridge so it has a clearance of 7.2 metres which will ensure the forthcoming Portishead to Bristol passenger railway line can be electrified.

The bridge will take approximately 10 months to construct. Construction is already underway, the steel beams for the bridge are currently being fabricated by a steel company in Belgium.

Access to Ashton Vale Road industrial estate will be maintained during the construction works and we will make sure disruption to businesses and motorists is minimised. Additional temporary pedestrian crossings will also be provided during construction.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Ahe steel beams for the bridge are currently being fabricated by a steel company in Belgium.

..and we wonder why our steel industry is on its arse. Even nationalised services using foreign steel!

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Does anyone know when it actually starts? 

Construction for the bridge is already underway – the bridge’s steel beams were ordered in March and are currently being fabricated by a steel company in Belgium. Our contractors have started preparing the site to start work on land that has been transferred from Network Rail to Bristol City Council to enable the construction of the bridge.

We’ll also be planting trees and shrubs between the bridge and Winterstoke Road.

Actual construction works will start in June 2016 with the piling of the bridge foundations, followed by construction of the approach ramps and the high bridge piers and abutments. The bridge’s beams will be lifted into place in autumn/winter 2016, this will be followed by the final construction of the bridge’s deck.

What, FFS, is going to be the difference between the forthcoming 'traffic chaos' and the 'traffic chaos' which is every day in Bristol??

It's just chaos. 

How can it get any worse?

It's like comparing stepping in a dog turd in your flip-flops with stepping in a dog-turd in your flip-flops. 

It's the same thing, for christs sake.

:igiveup:

Uncle TFR

P.S. Up yours Aizoon.

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Construction for the bridge is already underway – the bridge’s steel beams were ordered in March and are currently being fabricated by a steel company in Belgium. Our contractors have started preparing the site to start work on land that has been transferred from Network Rail to Bristol City Council to enable the construction of the bridge.

We’ll also be planting trees and shrubs between the bridge and Winterstoke Road.

Actual construction works will start in June 2016 with the piling of the bridge foundations, followed by construction of the approach ramps and the high bridge piers and abutments. The bridge’s beams will be lifted into place in autumn/winter 2016, this will be followed by the final construction of the bridge’s deck.

If there are foundations, can I assume Collis1 is 'going missing' very soon indeed?

:yes:

Uncle TFR

Archived