IGNORED

'"Big" interview with Lee Johnson (Merged)

ciderbeans

Lee says that he is very busy, he's been abroad to watch games, making sure the academy is "aligned" with the 1st team and ensuring the training ground has enough cones.

The "names that we are interested in hasn't (sic) come out [into the media]", and he's not going to comment on any speculation regarding transfers.  

Realistically he reckons we will have made four signings before Aug 6th, ideally though he would like 8.  We're a "couple of windows behind".

That's the highlights.

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Realistically he reckons we will have made four signings before Aug 6th

Very worrying if that's the case. Baker, Tomlin, Matthews, Odemwingie, Wagstaff all out, Fielding crocked...we'd have a smaller squad than we finished with, something I wasn't sure was possible!

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Very worrying if that's the case. Baker, Tomlin, Matthews, Odemwingie, Wagstaff all out, Fielding crocked...we'd have a smaller squad than we finished with, something I wasn't sure was possible!

Indeed we are massively short...

No.   Position Player
1 England GK Frank Fielding
2 England DF Mark Little
3 Republic of Ireland DF Derrick Williams
4 England DF Aden Flint
5 England DF Luke Ayling
6 Egypt DF Adam El-Abd
7 England MF Korey Smith
10 England FW Kieran Agard
  England    

No.   Position Player
12 England GK Richard O'Donnell
13 England DF Scott Golbourne
14 England MF Bobby Reid
15 England MF Luke Freeman
18 England FW Aaron Wilbraham (captain)
20 Wales FW Wes Burns
21 England MF Marlon Pack
22 Ivory Coast FW Jonathan Kodjia
23 England MF Joe Bryan

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

No.   Position Player
2 England DF Mark Little
4 England DF Aden Flint
5 England DF Luke Ayling
6 Egypt DF Adam El-Abd
7 England MF Korey Smith
  England    

No.   Position Player
14 England MF Bobby Reid
20 Wales FW Wes Burns
23 England MF Joe Bryan

Certainly puts it into perspective! Based on that alone, can't actually name a full bench! Though of course this excludes Dowling, Vyner and co. 

Still an incredibly threadbare squad though. I'd be very apprehensive should we only make four additions before we get the season underway. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Certainly puts it into perspective! Based on that alone, can't actually name a full bench! Though of course this excludes Dowling, Vyner and co. 

Still an incredibly threadbare squad though. I'd be very apprehensive should we only make four additions before we get the season underway. 

And I feel this is where it all may fall apart for LJ and MA.

He implies we need three transfer windows to get to where he wants, and has said we are two behind.

Can't see the fans in general understanding this.

He's inherited a very small squad of players.

When you take all our loans away, it is a ridiculous situation to have been left in.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

He implies we need three transfer windows to get to where he wants, and has said we are two behind.

When you take all our loans away, it is a ridiculous situation to have been left in.

Indeed, and I feel sorry for him in a way as its not his fault. The number of loanees we needed in order to have sufficient numbers in the squad is the fault of the board and prior management over two poor transfer windows. 

Cant help but think (hope) it's probably just a bit of smoke and mirrors/tempering expectations though.

We need at least four just to be where we were at the end of the season (especially as there was real quality in the departing four) and LJ isn't daft - no way is he going to want to go into his first full campaign scrabbling around to name a bench!

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

No.   Position Player
2 England DF Mark Little
4 England DF Aden Flint
5 England DF Luke Ayling
6 Egypt DF Adam El-Abd
7 England MF Korey Smith
  England    

No.   Position Player
14 England MF Bobby Reid
20 Wales FW Wes Burns
23 England MF Joe Bryan

How depressing! Especially when that lists contains El-Abd and Agard who really don't have a future here.

I'm still confident that LJ and MA are doing the right things but it does seem that LJ in particular has been hit by the same realisation that Cotterill was last year that the market for players in the Championship is completely ridiculous. I'm hopeful that those two will do better than Cotterill and Burt did last year and that Johnson will handle the inevitable set backs better than Cotterill did but it's going to be another tough summer and consequently another difficult season. We have to expect that.

The good news is that, so long as there are no major departures, the spine of the side is capable of staying in the Championship. It's not a great situation but it's far from a hopeless one.

LJ looks like he's only been awake for 5 minutes and may have been called out unexpectedly for the chat in the midst of his morning ablutions.

Very cagey and somewhat downbeat, not really living up to it's billing title as a 'Big Interview'.

So far anyway.

Let's hope part 2 is 'BIGGER'.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ looks like he's only been awake for 5 minutes and may have been called out unexpectedly for the chat in the midst of his morning ablutions.

Very cagey and somewhat downbeat, not really living up to it's billing title as a 'Big Interview'.

So far anyway.

Let's hope part 2 is 'BIGGER'.

I think he's obviously pretty knackered.  Although he's not the most naturally enthusiastic or energetic interviewee.

I think he recognises the thin squad which is why he says that we'd ideally have 8 new players by Aug 6th.  He may have said 4 was realistic in order to manage expectations.  

Better to under promise than under deliver.

• Admin
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

The "names that we are interested in hasn't (sic) come out [into the media]", and he's not going to comment on any speculation regarding transfers.  

Basically saying DON'T believe anything Stockhausen writes

53 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't understand this "three transfer windows" suggestion.

Other than waiting for certain players contracts to end, what can he achieve in transfer window 2 and 3 that he couldn't do in transfer window 1?

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't understand this "three transfer windows" suggestion.

Other than waiting for certain players contracts to end, what can he achieve in transfer window 2 and 3 that he couldn't do in transfer window 1?

Like you say...availability...and whether it's the right type of player to fit with what we are doing.

Plenty of players around...but there are so many different anomalies as to whether they are right for us.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Like you say...availability...and whether it's the right type of player to fit with what we are doing.

Plenty of players around...but there are so many different anomalies as to whether they are right for us.

Agreed, but this implies that there are certain players we already have in mind whose contracts will run out in 12 months time. How do we know they won't sign a new contract or move elsewhere in the meantime.

None of the points you make - while I agree with them - will apply any less in subsequent windows than they do now. Lansdown strikes me as rich enough not to need to pay in installments, so why not just do the business we need to do in this window (whilst acknowledging this is easier said than done).

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agreed, but this implies that there are certain players we already have in mind whose contracts will run out in 12 months time. How do we know they won't sign a new contract or move elsewhere in the meantime.

None of the points you make - while I agree with them - will apply any less in subsequent windows than they do now. Lansdown strikes me as rich enough not to need to pay in installments, so why not just do the business we need to do in this window (whilst acknowledging this is easier said than done).

It's complicated.

With laws governing percentages on wages, contracts of players are often drawn out over a longer period, so that they fit in with each years budget.

For example...El Abds contracts was long, so we could afford to pay his wages over the long term, rather than short term.

Archived