IGNORED

Lansdown Interview on BBC

G Block

Probably the only thing of interest in this article is the following:

With Bristol Rugby preparing for the Premiership and Bristol City preserving their status in English football's second tier, what is the next aim for the businessman and his ever-growing Bristol Sport group?

"To spread our wings to encompass more sports and maybe even different areas," he said.

"The Bristol Sport concept is really good for this city but it applies elsewhere, so maybe that's something we'll look at doing in the future."

Not sure I've heard him say this before. He's invested in Botswana's national stadium and Guernsey football I think, but not sure what else he might have in mind?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Probably the only thing of interest in this article is the following:

Not sure I've heard him say this before. He's invested in Botswana's national stadium and Guernsey football I think, but not sure what else he might have in mind?

He mentions Badminton further down the article - the sport not the place, perhaps both! Equestrianism next?

15 minutes ago, cynic said:

Or at the UWE, they'll be looking for something to put on that site soon.

Considering their new chairman has already said the owners can't afford to build the stadium themselves and UWE are probably getting tired of waiting for the land to be developed we should be looking at buying the land and building on it, maybe a "Bristol Sport Arena" so suitable for Ice Hockey, Basketball, Cycling etc...

or better still Bristol doesn't have an athetlecs track, and I'm sure UWE would get behind any sporting ideas we have if we were actually willing to stump up the investment to do it....as opposed to make promise after promise then not do anything...like another mob I could mention.

2 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Considering their new chairman has already said the owners can't afford to build the stadium themselves and UWE are probably getting tired of waiting for the land to be developed we should be looking at buying the land and building on it, maybe a "Bristol Sport Arena" so suitable for Ice Hockey, Basketball, Cycling etc...

or better still Bristol doesn't have an athetlecs track, and I'm sure UWE would get behind any sporting ideas we have if we were actually willing to stump up the investment to do it....as opposed to make promise after promise then not do anything...like another mob I could mention.

I`ve been thinking that for a while. The Lansdown Multi Sport Arena has a nice ring to it.

18 minutes ago, Bowie said:

A national indoor athletics stadium would be the idea thing. You could have athletics, remove covers to convert into a Gymnastic pit, or put covers on for Badminton on Tennis - also could host music, and NEC type evens that need lots of space. Would give UWE some amazing facilties as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSleMBBnQLzvxc4Uu1NE_g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw7kwzfGPFFMOmbnRcp17

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

A national indoor athletics stadium would be the idea thing. You could have athletics, remove covers to convert into a Gymnastic pit, or put covers on for Badminton on Tennis - also could host music, and NEC type evens that need lots of space. Would give UWE some amazing facilties as well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSleMBBnQLzvxc4Uu1NE_g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw7kwzfGPFFMOmbnRcp17

And the financial contribution from their partner organisation could actually be relied on rather than just be pie in the sky and never turn up.

A couple of things springs to mind for the future of Bristol sport. 

A sports arena with a capicity of around 4000 for basket ball, netball and other indoor sports have been mention to me .

Also the ECB have been looking to improve its T20 game to catch up with the IPL and Big Bash and one of the ideas is to create new "City" teams, there is resistance from the countys for this, but if this is to happen I can see SL being involved in a Bristol team.

20 minutes ago, bs3 said:

A couple of things springs to mind for the future of Bristol sport. 

A sports arena with a capicity of around 4000 for basket ball, netball and other indoor sports have been mention to me .

Also the ECB have been looking to improve its T20 game to catch up with the IPL and Big Bash and one of the ideas is to create new "City" teams, there is resistance from the countys for this, but if this is to happen I can see SL being involved in a Bristol team.

Had an interesting conversation with Barry Hearn about this not so long ago and he was putting something together to pitch to the ECB along those lines. 

Was in discussions with "football people" as he wants to piggy back on the club format, so might not be so far away with this in your post perhaps?

1 hour ago, Charliesboots said:

Had an interesting conversation with Barry Hearn about this not so long ago and he was putting something together to pitch to the ECB along those lines. 

Was in discussions with "football people" as he wants to piggy back on the club format, so might not be so far away with this in your post perhaps?

Does that mean our pitch won't even get the summer off now?  First the egg chasers now the cucumber sandwich brigade!!  We could always flood it have water polo, install a wave machine for surfing comps, then freeze that for the ice hockey?

18 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Does that mean our pitch won't even get the summer off now?  First the egg chasers now the cucumber sandwich brigade!!  We could always flood it have water polo, install a wave machine for surfing comps, then freeze that for the ice hockey?

I`m not sure if football grounds would really work for cricket, particularly T20. The boundaries would be so short that every ball that`s a decent connection would be a four or a six. I can see a game becoming very predictable very quickly.

Imagine one of Chris Gayle`s sixes ricocheting around inside the Dolman, you`d have to issue safety helmets.

54 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Clearly, there's an aversion here, but I have to say I enjoyed that piece on Lansdown, a good interview and he's clearly a good bloke, if you disregard his City passion, obviously.

Bloody hell, where have you been hiding? It must be years since you`ve been on here. Nice to see you again.

Archived