IGNORED

Raheem Sterling

reddogkev

3 hours ago, JustinCider said:

I used to love supporting England, when the likes of Lineker, Beardsley, Hoddle, Gazza, Shearer, Sheringham etc were playing but my love has waned over the years, sadly to the point where I don't care if they win or lose. In fact, I'd rather see them lose, as to be honest, I just don't like most of the players. Theyve bought into the hype of how great they are when the fact is they're not all that. I don't mind England being average, I just wish we didn't pretend that we seem to have some god given right to win things, and when we don't it was because of bad luck, or cheating foreigners. The simple fact of the matter is we're just not good enough, and haven't been for a long time. Stirling is a prime example of the hype, he's never worth £50M and never will be, and you could buy 2, 3, or even 4 foreign players for that amount who'll be better than him, the likes of Payet and Mahrez immediately springs to mind. We proved it ourselves didn't we with Kodjia, £2.2M for a 20 goal striker that would've cost £9M if he'd been English. Rant Over.

When did the players say they were amazing?  Did Sterling set his own price tag?  Who says we have a God given right to win things?  

If you want to make up reasons to want England to lose then you go ahead

8 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You both might be correct but I am at a loss to understand his inclusion in the England squad based on his past 12 months performances, I think it might have been better if Woy had said, "i'm not taking you son, have a good holiday, count your money and try concentrating on playing football next season and I will give you bell".

Me I think he will struggle again at Manc and Pep will not be as pressurised as Pellegrini to include him.

Roy has his favourites. It's so clear. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

Not sure of "constant threat" but he wasn't anywhere near as bad (imho) as most posters thought on Saturday.

Today he was poor.

Vardy did very little other than his goal....which I'm very grateful for.  In a game of ifs, buts and maybes, I'm very glad that cross came off of Ashley Williams's head.

I think again it highlighted how much we miss the much-maligned (but imho a fantastically talented) Danny Welbeck in the left-Forward position.

I've watched Welbeck very closely since his time at Man Utd and always rated him. Couldn't believe when they sold him to Arsenal. Such an underrated player. 

Fergie loved him...that's good enough for me. 

7 hours ago, JustinCider said:

I used to love supporting England, when the likes of Lineker, Beardsley, Hoddle, Gazza, Shearer, Sheringham etc were playing but my love has waned over the years, sadly to the point where I don't care if they win or lose. In fact, I'd rather see them lose, as to be honest, I just don't like most of the players. Theyve bought into the hype of how great they are when the fact is they're not all that. I don't mind England being average, I just wish we didn't pretend that we seem to have some god given right to win things, and when we don't it was because of bad luck, or cheating foreigners. The simple fact of the matter is we're just not good enough, and haven't been for a long time. Stirling is a prime example of the hype, he's never worth £50M and never will be, and you could buy 2, 3, or even 4 foreign players for that amount who'll be better than him, the likes of Payet and Mahrez immediately springs to mind. We proved it ourselves didn't we with Kodjia, £2.2M for a 20 goal striker that would've cost £9M if he'd been English. Rant Over.

Jesus... This is a really daft post. You'd rather see England lose?? Give me strength. What hype have they bought into?? I'm all ears. I don't know a single English person who feels we as a nation has a God given right to win every tournament we enter. Forget about the past... This is England now!! They want to do well. You're an idiot if you see otherwise. ****in retards. 

16 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You know how some countries look through a player's family tree to find a tenuous link which will enable them to claim the player as their own? I'm thinking Mark Lawrenson etc.

Is it possible that the English FA can do the same to prove that Sterling isn't really English so that we can have him sent home from France straightaway and then deported? ;)

Born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents!

Will that do?

14 hours ago, RedDave said:

When did the players say they were amazing?  Did Sterling set his own price tag?  Who says we have a God given right to win things?  

If you want to make up reasons to want England to lose then you go ahead

To be fair it's peddled by the red tops as much as anything. Rooney might not be the player he once was but he embodies everything I want to see in that armband, he leaves nothing on the pitch and would run through walls for that flag.

Sterling makes up a lot of ground. He's been the fastest player on the pitch in both games and has carried the ball upfield well.

He just can't finish to save his life and often makes the wrong call on his passing. @GrahamC posted exactly what I was going to - the international equivalent of Junior Bent.

Not worth £49m by a country mile, but that is more a statement of the idiocy of PL spending than it's his fault. If he can work on his weaknesses then we may have a tidy player in the national side eventually.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

sterling should of stayed at liverpool where he would of played week in week out, instead he was a greedy petulant lady garden and followed the money at the expense of his own career, just like many other players

A much nicer name for us Dolmanites. Please use this in future S82.

I'm really not getting this anti-Sterling attitude.  He was excellent first half against Russia but did then fade.

He didn't make much of a contribution against Wales but neither did Kane or Dier.  No one is criticising them.

Sterling is a second rate player and we are getting what we should expect.

Joe Hart, on the other hand, is supposedly a top-class goalkeeper.  How has he managed to miss the criticism?!  His performance against Russia was average including a bizarre extra time walkabout.  And he was awful against Wales.  Ignoring the goal (that I could have saved), he kicked the ball out on a couple of occasions and managed to drop an easy to-hand corner.

Time to shore up the English defence with an old City boy?

19 hours ago, JustinCider said:

A few years ago I'd have agreed with you but I actually think the generation of England players that have come through are a bit different to the 'Golden Generation' of Terry, Gerrard, Ashley Cole etc.  More focused, more determined and possibly a bit less arrogant.  I actually quite like most of the current squad and find the current England squad must easier to cheer on than I did in 2010 or 2012...

It's difficult with Sterling.  Him and Barkley are probably the two most naturally gifted players we've had since Joe Cole.  But both are struggling for form and both are also of an age where they need to make that potential far more tangible.  Unlike some posts, I really want to see Sterling in an England shirt again.  But not the Raheem Sterling we've seen over the last couple of games and most of last season. 

7 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'm really not getting this anti-Sterling attitude.  He was excellent first half against Russia but did then fade.

He didn't make much of a contribution against Wales but neither did Kane or Dier.  No one is criticising them.

Joe Hart, on the other hand, is supposedly a top-class goalkeeper.  How has he managed to miss the criticism?!  His performance against Russia was average including a bizarre extra time walkabout.  And he was awful against Wales.  Ignoring the goal (that I could have saved), he kicked the ball out on a couple of occasions and managed to drop an easy to-hand corner.

isn't dier there to break up the attack, and not for his creative ability, considering hart had one save to make (and cocked that up) I think dier did pretty well,

17 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Too much focus upon Head & Shoulders for Hart; should concentrate on Hands & Feet.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Key word there is supposedly. IMHO he is miles off top-class, but he just happens to be the best of our slim pickings for keeper. 

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Harry Kane has been far worse than Sterling.

56 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Key word there is supposedly. IMHO he is miles off top-class, but he just happens to be the best of our slim pickings for keeper. 

Not that much in it between Hart and Forster as shown this season when Forster returned from injury. Their stats in games were very very similar and Man City have a better defence. Think Forster kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in a row when he played too.

Hart hasn't been dropped for a (meaningful) international in far too long and is getting complacent. Shocker for the Wales game, made no effort at saving the Russia goal (good header though it was) and even in the build up friendlies had a shocker for the Turkey goal. 

We should be in a good position with  keepers, Hart,Forster and Butland but Roy needs to play the others to put pressure on Hart to make him work for it. That said I don't think now is the right time to change. I wouldn't blame Hart for the Russia goal, hard to defend him for the Wales goal though.

Sterling  has been poor for a while, I can understand why Roy took him as he is the one wide , pacey player we have (the rest having gone backwards), but he seemed to play along side the CB and hide rather than stretch their defence. Kane was quiet Vs Wales but he was against a 3 on his own , never easy. I thought Dier was very good, genuine defensive mid that can tackle,break up play but also bring it out. 

I'm a little concerned with Rooney. Played very well, but I think he may struggle in MF against good opposition .

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

We should be in a good position with  keepers, Hart,Forster and Butland but Roy needs to play the others to put pressure on Hart to make him work for it. That said I don't think now is the right time to change. I wouldn't blame Hart for the Russia goal, hard to defend him for the Wales goal though.

Sterling  has been poor for a while, I can understand why Roy took him as he is the one wide , pacey player we have (the rest having gone backwards), but he seemed to play along side the CB and hide rather than stretch their defence. Kane was quiet Vs Wales but he was against a 3 on his own , never easy. I thought Dier was very good, genuine defensive mid that can tackle,break up play but also bring it out. 

I'm a little concerned with Rooney. Played very well, but I think he may struggle in MF against good opposition .

Woy bottled his squad selection when it comes to Sterling. He should have picked Andros Townsend instead who was both in cracking form leading up to this tournament & also demonstrated real desire when playing for Newcastle, despite some of the wasters he was having to play with. Can you imagine him putting in displays as useless as Sterling? No way. He moved from Spurs to Newcastle so as to get a chance to play regularly, possibly even with this tournament in mind. Sterling moved for money & it shows. Another "talent" wasted by stupid wages too young.

On 17 June 2016 at 17:37, 1960maaan said:

He annoyed me for the Russia goal.  It was a loopy one, in the air for quite a while and Hart didn't move at all. If he had scrambled backwards and it had gone in, I wouldn't mind but he doesn't move at all, just stands dead still and watches it go over him. Not saying he should have stopped it but disappointed he didn't react at all. 

Archived