IGNORED

Has Lansdown lost millions ?

BobbyC

53 minutes ago, BigTone said:

On paper he is down a few bob.  Hargreaves is down £400m so Steve must have taken one in the bollocks as well

Well......

Guess which company is today's highest riser in the FTSE 100 with a gain of 9%?

And when talking SL's balls we're also talking Buster Gonad and they're unfeasibly large. 

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well......

Guess which company is today's highest riser in the FTSE 100 with a gain of 9%?

And when talking SL's balls we're also talking Buster Gonad and they're unfeasibly large. 

Well when you read that Hargreaves has taken a hit it stands to reason that Steve has as well.  If they haven't then fair play to them. Do I care either way ............... No

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Makes no odds does it.  If the values been lost then it isn't there to sell either way

It all goes up and down.  If my house goes up in value by £50k or down by £50k it doesn't matter to me in the slightest; it looks the same and I still get to live in it.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It all goes up and down.  If my house goes up in value by £50k or down by £50k it doesn't matter to me in the slightest; it looks the same and I still get to live in it.

its also pretty relative. if you want to buy another house chances are that other houses would have gone up or down by the same amount.

The value of his shares have gone down, that's it.

The question should be: What did he buy the shares for in the first place?

When you consider that question... then you have your answer.

Some one might want to check the maths on this but......

April 2013 SL sold 5.5 million shares and raised 53million.....which I beleive was to pay for the ground redevelopment.

March 2014 sold 14.5 million shares raised 200 million....presumably Mrs SL wanted to go shopping.

Current holding 75.5 million shares, closing price 1,150 pence.

Current value of holding £868,250,000.

Every time the share price moves by 1p SL makes or loses £755,000 on paper.

Yesterday the share price rose by nearly 10%.

Nice problem to have.

9 hours ago, Pezo said:

its also pretty relative. if you want to buy another house chances are that other houses would have gone up or down by the same amount.

Exactly. I've never understood people gloating that their house has doubled in price but then moaning like hell when they sell and have to pay twice the price  for their next one!

8 hours ago, RedM said:

Exactly. I've never understood people gloating that their house has doubled in price but then moaning like hell when they sell and have to pay twice the price  for their next one!

Yes, but in fairness they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed are they

21 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

The value of his shares have gone down, that's it.

The question should be: What did he buy the shares for in the first place?

When you consider that question... then you have your answer.

19 hours ago, allyolly said:

To make money cos he's a capitalist bastard?

Sometimes, a comment on OTIB is misinterpreted. I asked 'What did he buy the shares for in the first place?'

If someone reads 'what' but sees 'why', I can't help that. I said 'what', asking what monetary value? That then allows people to put perspective on the OP's question, 'Has Lansdowne lost money?'. The answer is no because he paid nothing for his shares (I'm keeping things simple), so irrespective of whether his shares go up or down, he's lost nothing.

As to your comment allyolly. Hard to tell if you're an anti-capitalist or you think I am?

Let's put it this way, I know there is no magic money or job fairy down the bottom of my garden. I happen to believe that some capitalists do nothing with their money (other than count it) and then there are some capitalists who actually do something with their money, be it employ people, they do things that bring pleasure to other peoples lives, they are philanthropists etc.

I happen to think SL is the latter type of capitalist.

3 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Sometimes, a comment on OTIB is misinterpreted. I asked 'What did he buy the shares for in the first place?'

If someone reads 'what' but sees 'why', I can't help that. I said 'what', asking what monetary value? That then allows people to put perspective on the OP's question, 'Has Lansdowne lost money?'. The answer is no because he paid nothing for his shares (I'm keeping things simple), so irrespective of whether his shares go up or down, he's lost nothing.

As to your comment allyolly. Hard to tell if you're an anti-capitalist or you think I am?

Let's put it this way, I know there is no magic money or job fairy down the bottom of my garden. I happen to believe that some capitalists do nothing with their money (other than count it) and then there are some capitalists who actually do something with their money, be it employ people, they do things that bring pleasure to other peoples lives, they are philanthropists etc.

I happen to think SL is the latter type of capitalist.

My  comment was a bit tongue in cheek after a couple of beers really! Lansdown has clearly made a lot of money and I suspect ethical investemnt is not a key driver for his business interests. I would like to think he has a significant charitable giving programme which maybe he funds from his tax status...

That said I can't think of any club who has a more proactive and committed major funder and for that we should be grateful.

On 29 June 2016 at 06:01, Countryfile said:

Some one might want to check the maths on this but......

April 2013 SL sold 5.5 million shares and raised 53million.....which I beleive was to pay for the ground redevelopment.

March 2014 sold 14.5 million shares raised 200 million....presumably Mrs SL wanted to go shopping.

Current holding 75.5 million shares, closing price 1,150 pence.

Current value of holding £868,250,000.

Every time the share price moves by 1p SL makes or loses £755,000 on paper.

Yesterday the share price rose by nearly 10%.

Nice problem to have.

Closed at 1248p on Friday

current value of holding £942,240,000

up 73.9 Million.

I think I'll give everyone a weekly update so we can compare it to our own pay packets.

I wonder if he needs a financial adviser?

Archived