IGNORED

Hengrove vs Bristol City

TammyAB

7 minutes ago, ontariored said:

I still question why we play teams such as Hengrove. what do our players learn apart from playing someone 3 tiers down. Complete waste of time!!!

I believe it is to raise some money for local grassroots clubs and BCFC Community Trust.

7 minutes ago, ontariored said:

I still question why we play teams such as Hengrove. what do our players learn apart from playing someone 3 tiers down. Complete waste of time!!!

Without a whoosh, it's a Community thing, 5 pillars and all that.  It helps to raise money for BCCT and the local club who host it.

I think it's a great idea.

I don't think LJ sees it as anything more than a bit more pre-season training with a ball.

4 hours ago, ontariored said:

It made Hengrove (I hope) a shed load of money given there were about 1700 people there. 

19 hours ago, ontariored said:

I think this answers your question, it's no more than a practice game for the boys but it pays off in many ways for the club and community.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/hengroves-future-boosted-by-community-match-3178812.aspx 

20 hours ago, ontariored said:

Interesting article on official site about how Hengrove have benefitted from this game mate. Another bonus is that fans can get nearer to the players than they would on a normal matchday.Sorry PSR. Didn't see your above post.

46 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Interesting article on official site about how Hengrove have benefitted from this game mate. Another bonus is that fans can get nearer to the players than they would on a normal matchday.Sorry PSR. Didn't see your above post.

Good article and Hengrove, and City would have made a lot of friends yesterday. More people than I thought were genuinely fans of both clubs.

I thought the Hengrove players were very professional in how they approached the game, all very smartly dressed in shirt and ties. It was a big game for them even though it was 'only' a friendly. They did themselves and their club proud. 

Our players were of course loving meeting all the kiddies, Kodjia must have High fived just about everyone there, posed for loads of photos and signed lots of shirts etc. Tomlin and Flint were very popular too. I expect they all were, it's just those I saw with a crowd around them.

Another thing, yes it was all about raising profiles and money. But I don't think it does any player any harm to revisit clubs like this once in a while. Give something back and 'keep it real'

• Admin

This isn't an anti Community Trust post in any way - but these community games always surprise me that our community trust take a cut out of these fixtures

Just think the financial benefit to these smaller local clubs would be bigger than the small amount in comparission that the amount the revenue made means to us

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

The community Trust is a charity.

It needs funds.

http://www.bristolcitycommunitytrust.org.uk/

On top of this, city provided all the stewards who will get paid, supplied bar equipment, catering equipment etc. that took money and cost to install/clean etc. along with bringing the entire first team squad to maximise the attendance and interest.

So as half the money is split between the 2 charities, Bristol Sport's books will actually show only outgoings on the day so actually deserve credit for not first taking out thier costs (i.e. only dividing up profits).

Also, we gave them the old dug-outs which are probably a grand to buy so I think Hengrove did ok. 

I play summer skittles there and overheard their pre-match AGM - very respectful and thankful and everything that came up was - "Bristol City are going to sort that for us" so all I think Hengrove really had to do was provide some staff to man the bars which i'm sure were profitable for the club at £3.50 per pint !!. 

Archived