IGNORED

2697 Season Ticket left for City fans

Bat Fastard

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

The 'working man' drifted away from football long before the PL and Sky tv and all-seater grounds. It is reasonable to ask the 'working man' : "where were you when we (the game) were shit?"

The Premier Leagues own statistics indicate football has become less inclusive - ageist perhaps. There has been a huge demographic shift in unison with the EPL and all seater stadiums. Fans have been priced out i.e the young and those on low incomes. The EPL and SKY's lucre has not lowered prices through the leagues. 

At twelve and thirteen many of us attended football minus parents with pocket money to pay on the day. That type of support is no longer existent.

There are variables. The type of culture that exists in Germany flooding young fans into stadiums doesn't exist at BCFC, or elsewhere.

Unfortunately it is hard to have a sincere otib thread on topics such as fan engagement x ticket pricing x social inclusion without people resulting to its moaning, its anti club, anti Bristol Sport rhetoric.

2 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Sponsorship wont cover what City lose. Not interested in Reading. City have lost huge amounts of money and always SL coughs up and has built a new ground costing tens of millions . Still fans moan. Prices are spot on.

Fair enough - that's your opinion.

My season ticket increased by £133 for this season...now well over £500.

Did yours go up by that much? I'm not moaning, just want to understand what you mean by 'spot on'?

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Club confirmed sold over 13k. Hopefully get 14k by the start of the season 

Interestingly that has been the figure that we have been told for a number of weeks, looks like sales have slowed right down now

4 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

SL and BS have got the prices spot on. Any lower and its no Tomlin etc. Steve should not have to pay for everything as well as virtually a new ground.

You can only be right about "any lower and it's no Tomlin" if you can say, with 110% certainty, that had prices been lower, we still would only have sold 13,500 season tickets. Or only an insignificant number more than that. 

Also, Steve doesn't pay for everything. Not with 13k people paying for their season tickets, and others buying memberships and paying on the day, and buying new shirts every year and other merchandise, and lottery bloody tickets, and guzzling beer and burgers on the concourse. That all pays for something, although, as we all know, not for everything. 

I trust that Steve remembers that he would have many more "things" to pay for were it not for the thousands that have stumped up hundreds every summer for season tickets for many, many years, through some very grim times, and many mediocre ones too. Like the 9k that bought them following the last relegation, and the 13k that turned up for the first game after that. Without that kind of support/faith/passion, would Steve be interested in this game at all though? Probably not, would be my guess.

3 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Sponsorship wont cover what City lose. Not interested in Reading. City have lost huge amounts of money and always SL coughs up and has built a new ground costing tens of millions . Still fans moan. Prices are spot on.

For more than 100 years, this is how football has worked: football clubs lose money, driven by intense competition and desire for silver cups and success. And reflected glory. Wealthy local men cover the losses, sit in the best seats, call the shots, have the ear of the manager and take the glory if or when it comes. Their largesse is lauded and gets them a place and standing in the local community few, if any, other recreational activities can match. The other local men, us lot, without the wealth, like to have a moan. 

We pays our money, too, remember, and £400 to many of us is a lot of money. So we have our say, however ill-informed, wide of the mark, deluded.

That's the deal. It has been thus for longer than any of us - including @Ivorguy or @cidered aboroad or @Aizoon - have been drawing breath. People have a moan at football, and think they know better than those on the inside.

And we'll never be happy or satisfied (not 110%), not fully, not all of us. Or not for long. That's the deal. That has been football for decades.

Yes, Steve covers big losses, more than any before him. But that's his role, that has been the role of the local man made good for more than a century. We thank him for it, we cheer him when he takes to the pitch to speak to us, and we have a moan too. That's football, that's the deal (although it must be said, previous boards took far more criticism - direct and vitriolic - than Steve has ever had, publicly at least, to my knowledge. That might be taken as people not wanting to be too harsh or critical, because they know how much he cares and the losses he covers. And now the stands that he builds. And transfers he backs. Either that, or they think he'll clear off if he is heckled like those before him!)

People having a little moan about people moaning about their football club can now be added to all of the above (or has this been going on forever as well?). I hope this doesn't all sound too ungrateful or sour, I really just wanted to offer a counter view to the suggestion that "Steve pays for everything" and defend the right for having a moan in football. If having a personal wealth of approx £1bn cannot insulate you against the "moaning" that goes on nowadays, mostly on forums and social media, then stay off forums and social media, or give football a wide berth.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

20 is plenty

ie no season ticket should be over 460 quid

I disagree. As long as there are cheaper options, then I don't think it's wrong to charge a bit more for the premium/best seats. 

It's a long long time since football was ONLY for the "working class"

Interestingly, on a thread earlier this summer, someone calculated prices taking into account inflation and compared to average weekly wage and comparatively, many of our season tickets are "cheaper" now than when it was a more working class dominated entertainment. 

I've got a season ticket this year, but in years gone bye would have loved to have seen a reducing price per game scheme, e.g south stand first game is £30 and price reduces  by a pound every game attended...for people who go to say 10 games a season, think this might encourage them to push up to 15 games or so as price becomes more attractive every game. Most people used to online sales and with database easy to implement . 

2 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

No football clubs and in particular city have not lost so much. What does stand true if you want more you pay for it. we all want extra players so a drop more on the season ticket has to go on. same thing has happened at clubs promoted like boro with promotion fans pay more.

Again you're persisting with this "pay more = better players" argument. Do you not acknowledge the concept of the optimum price point for maximum revenues? Because that doesn't necessarily mean paying more.

To put it another way - if season tickets were £10,000 each do you think we could afford Messi?

7 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

No football clubs and in particular city have not lost so much. What does stand true if you want more you pay for it. we all want extra players so a drop more on the season ticket has to go on. same thing has happened at clubs promoted like boro with promotion fans pay more.

You seem pretty set on your line of argument. So I will use extreme figures.

Say the average price of a ST is £500 (which it isn't, it's lower), but say it is. Say we've sold 13,500. That's £6.75m.

We have spent (allegedly) in excess of that on players, and will spend well beyond that on players wages etc. 

Musing those same high and hypothetical figures, a 10% reduction or other similar incentives in the price of a ST would be greatly appreciated by fans, and probably attract more sales. The club would lose less than £.75m, which it could make with a creative soonsorship deal. 

The club's income is not solely underpinned by fans income, in fact, far far from it.

Case closed.

15 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

You can only be right about "any lower and it's no Tomlin" if you can say, with 110% certainty, that had prices been lower, we still would only have sold 13,500 season tickets. Or only an insignificant number more than that. 

Also, Steve doesn't pay for everything. Not with 13k people paying for their season tickets, and others buying memberships and paying on the day, and buying new shirts every year and other merchandise, and lottery bloody tickets, and guzzling beer and burgers on the concourse. That all pays for something, although, as we all know, not for everything. 

I trust that Steve remembers that he would have many more "things" to pay for were it not for the thousands that have stumped up hundreds every summer for season tickets for many, many years, through some very grim times, and many mediocre ones too. Like the 9k that bought them following the last relegation, and the 13k that turned up for the first game after that. Without that kind of support/faith/passion, would Steve be interested in this game at all though? Probably not, would be my guess.

For more than 100 years, this is how football has worked: football clubs lose money, driven by intense competition and desire for silver cups and success. And reflected glory. Wealthy local men cover the losses, sit in the best seats, call the shots, have the ear of the manager and take the glory if or when it comes. Their largesse is lauded and gets them a place and standing in the local community few, if any, other recreational activities can match. The other local men, us lot, without the wealth, like to have a moan. 

We pays our money, too, remember, and £400 to many of us is a lot of money. So we have our say, however ill-informed, wide of the mark, deluded.

That's the deal. It has been thus for longer than any of us - including @Ivorguy or @cidered aboroad or @Aizoon - have been drawing breath. People have a moan at football, and think they know better than those on the inside.

And we'll never be happy or satisfied (not 110%), not fully, not all of us. Or not for long. That's the deal. That has been football for decades.

Yes, Steve covers big losses, more than any before him. But that's his role, that has been the role of the local man made good for more than a century. We thank him for it, we cheer him when he takes to the pitch to speak to us, and we have a moan too. That's football, that's the deal (although it must be said, previous boards took far more criticism - direct and vitriolic - than Steve has ever had, publicly at least, to my knowledge. That might be taken as people not wanting to be too harsh or critical, because they know how much he cares and the losses he covers. And now the stands that he builds. And transfers he backs. Either that, or they think he'll clear off if he is heckled like those before him!)

People having a little moan about people moaning about their football club can now be added to all of the above (or has this been going on forever as well?). I hope this doesn't all sound too ungrateful or sour, I really just wanted to offer a counter view to the suggestion that "Steve pays for everything" and defend the right for having a moan in football. If having a personal wealth of approx £1bn cannot insulate you against the "moaning" that goes on nowadays, mostly on forums and social media, then stay off forums and social media, or give football a wide berth.

In case you're reading Steve, stay off social media certainly, but please don't give football a wide berth.

27 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Get a life to the people who are counting the amount of season tickets left on sale!!! Also ringing the club to ask?? I sometimes wonder why so many people on otib have so much time on there hands!!

What else can we do whilst stuck at work 8+ hours a day ?

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Get a life to the people who are counting the amount of season tickets left on sale!!! Also ringing the club to ask?? I sometimes wonder why so many people on otib have so much time on there hands!!

Ha Ha - I do wonder what the fascination is all about 

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporte said:

No chippenham red thinking Mr Lansdown should not have to shell out for everything and fans wanting extra players like Tomlin should be prepared to pay a drop more on their season tickets is ok. No idea where you get the idea from there are City fans thinking City should sign Neymar!!!!

???

Anyone?

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

Us as fellow fans are talking about it and debating on how many we sold so to set the record straight i asked?? Dont like it? dont post.

Wish we were all as perfect as you....

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

I completely agree, as I told the chap at the club when I phoned to ask how many fans had been phoning to find out how many season tickets were still left on sale.

From what he said I reckon that 25 fans have been phoning on average every 28 hours 17 minutes and 16 seconds, to check how season ticket sales have been going. 

Of those, 10 are aged under 18, 7 are aged between 18-40,6 aged between 40 and 65, aged between 65 and 95 and 1 received histelegram from the queen quicker than he got his season card.

Of the 25, 17 are forum members. 3 have fair hair, 12 have black hair, 5 have brown hair and 5 have no hair. 6 have tattoos and  4 have had Stacey Panton.

All of those 25 have far too much time on their hands, let alone the ones on OITB!

Archived