IGNORED

New signing by Monday??

Merrick's Marvels

Perusing the Post today (yes, yes I know, that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back) this was tucked away at the very end of their article 'Ashton Gate has the Wow Factor':

"  The Post understands City are close to making their sixth first team signing of the summer and there could be a new face by the time they take on L2 Cheltenham Town in a pre-season friendly at Whaddon Road on Monday "

And although Stockhausen is the author, he's got to get one right eventually....

... hasn't he???

PS. Apologies if covered in another thread but can't see this mentioned anywhere else on here today

47 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Johnson said 1 was very close . He also said if he started the season with the right backs he has available he would be happy. Also said korey smith is more than capable of playing there . He said he wants another 4 but would not say in which positions . 

Manager Johnson playing our best midfielder at right back sounds chillingly familiar...

(I'm only kidding, I know he's talking about in an emergency) 

Why not play Korey at RB? With a midfield four of Pack, O'Neil, Reid and Tomlin, would that midfield be any weaker?

Go back to AD in the 70's, he played Sweeney, a midfielder there because he had the midfield strength to cover.

Use all your squad to improve the whole sum of the various parts.

7 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

WHY would you play our best midfielder in a position he hasn't played once for us?

I hope Johnson has a brain and buys an actual natural right back and not just shoe horn players in positions.

Before buying a right back personally I'd rather we make do with the options of Little and Ayling before putting Smith there.

My guess would be though that if Matthews (or McLoughlin) comes in, one of them will be gone by August anyway.

Sure I saw somewhere that Korey has previously played RB at Norwich? Not sure how successful it was, but would suggest that it's not a completely unnatural position for him.

Not advocating he be moved there, but not the most bizarre suggestion ever.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Before buying a right back personally I'd rather we make do with the options of Little and Ayling before putting Smith there.

My guess would be though that if Matthews (or McLoughlin) comes in, one of them will be gone by August anyway.

I've said elsewhere; I'm not as frantic about us signing a right back as others are, though would certainly rather we played Smith in midfield than there, as he's one of our best central players.

Someone like Matthews would be an upgrade on our current options, but personally would prefer we left Little and Ayling to battle it out than went for someone like McLoughlin, as not sure they would automatically be better.

An experienced central defender as back up and a mentor for the four young(er) lads we have might be wise, and I still think another target-man would be helpful, but I'm happy in saying I think we have enjoyed a significantly improved summer on last year already, and could put up a better fight now if the season started tomorrow.

Compared to the squad last summer we've lost Waggy, El Abd, Osborne, with Burns out on loan, but have instead (counting January signings) Golbourne, O'Donnell, O'Dowda, Tomlin, Magnússon, Brownhill and O'Neil, which doesn't even count the likes of De Girolamo, Vyner and Arnie from the under 21s who have been taken on the first team tour.

I'll get slated, but I'd say if we avoid anyone leaving and had everyone fit, that squad could last us till January, and do better than the prior one.

The good thing is we aren't likely done with recruitment so that isn't going to happen, but much happier than this time last year.

31 minutes ago, samo II said:

I've said elsewhere; I'm not as frantic about us signing a right back as others are, though would certainly rather we played Smith in midfield than there, as he's one of our best central players.

Someone like Matthews would be an upgrade on our current options, but personally would prefer we left Little and Ayling to battle it out than went for someone like McLoughlin, as not sure they would automatically be better.

An experienced central defender as back up and a mentor for the four young(er) lads we have might be wise, and I still think another target-man would be helpful, but I'm happy in saying I think we have enjoyed a significantly improved summer on last year already, and could put up a better fight now if the season started tomorrow.

Compared to the squad last summer we've lost Waggy, El Abd, Osborne, with Burns out on loan, but have instead (counting January signings) Golbourne, O'Donnell, O'Dowda, Tomlin, Magnússon, Brownhill and O'Neil, which doesn't even count the likes of De Girolamo, Vyner and Arnie from the under 21s who have been taken on the first team tour.

I'll get slated, but I'd say if we avoid anyone leaving and had everyone fit, that squad could last us till January, and do better than the prior one.

The good thing is we aren't likely done with recruitment so that isn't going to happen, but much happier than this time last year.

Agree the squad certainly has more depth and dare I say it quality. I can see Matthews being with us by the time we play Wigan. His late arrival wouldn't be a concern to me due to him being a regular starter last season. Wouldn't be surprised if he comes in on a season loan, clearly out of the picture at Sunderland.

Be interesting to see the player bring mentioned as signing next week. Expecting a 'name' player, by which I think unlikely to be a foreign player, but someone whose played in RFD English leagues. No idea why or who, but the term experienced to me would suggest that 

9 minutes ago, daored said:

Agree the squad certainly has more depth and dare I say it quality. I can see Matthews being with us by the time we play Wigan. His late arrival wouldn't be a concern to me due to him being a regular starter last season. Wouldn't be surprised if he comes in on a season loan, clearly out of the picture at Sunderland.

Be interesting to see the player bring mentioned as signing next week. Expecting a 'name' player, by which I think unlikely to be a foreign player, but someone whose played in RFD English leagues. No idea why or who, but the term experienced to me would suggest that 

My only thought is that with Moyes just in the door at Sunderland, he might want to run the rule over the whole squad, meaning Matthews could potentially be in the picture again there, or at least not immediately out the door.

We will have to see.  The club have surprised me more than once this summer with the likes of Magnússon and O'Dowda, so if it isn't Matthews, I trust we have some interesting players lined up.

4 hours ago, samo II said:

My only thought is that with Moyes just in the door at Sunderland, he might want to run the rule over the whole squad, meaning Matthews could potentially be in the picture again there, or at least not immediately out the door.

We will have to see.  The club have surprised me more than once this summer with the likes of Magnússon and O'Dowda, so if it isn't Matthews, I trust we have some interesting players lined up.

With the speed of his appointment (and Sam's departure), I suspect this was done a little while ago.

Moyes will himself have decent knowledge of his acquired squad, plus he'll get inside knowledge from those already at the club.  The fact that Sam wanted him gone and open about it, would mean those remaining at the club must think totally opposite if Matthews is to stay.

I'd bet Matthews will go....hopefully to us.

I think Wat he was saying that if we go into the new season with Wat we got at that position we have players who can adapt to different positions. Johnson said the versatility of joe Bryan who can play LB LM CM allows the club to spend money in other areas. Johnson said korey has played right back before and marked sako out the game . He certainly wasn't ruling Matthews out . But listening to Johnson he certainly knows a lot more than me

51 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I think Wat he was saying that if we go into the new season with Wat we got at that position we have players who can adapt to different positions. Johnson said the versatility of joe Bryan who can play LB LM CM allows the club to spend money in other areas. Johnson said korey has played right back before and marked sako out the game . He certainly wasn't ruling Matthews out . But listening to Johnson he certainly knows a lot more than me

He knows how to spell , ' what ' .

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Korey at right back?? If that's the case shall we play kodja at centre back?

Don't think it's as ridiculous as being made out. Smith is a very well rounded player, can tackle, good energy and a hard worker. Lots of attributes he has can easily be applied to a full back, he's also played there before. Johnson isn't saying 'we are going to play him there' but if needs must, he can. I hope it doesn't come to that though, hoping to see Matthews again.

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think it's as ridiculous as being made out. Smith is a very well rounded player, can tackle, good energy and a hard worker. Lots of attributes he has can easily be applied to a full back, he's also played there before. Johnson isn't saying 'we are going to play him there' but if needs must, he can. I hope it doesn't come to that though, hoping to see Matthews again.

You don't move your best all round midfielder to right back simple! 

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

You don't move your best all round midfielder to right back simple! 

As we once did at Wembley.....that went well.

Archived