IGNORED

Iceland Clap Thread Part II

DavidNoble

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We'll be a laughing stock if we take on this ubiquitous, cringeworthy chant...please no. But that's just my opinion...

With you on it TBH. I was cringing when the fans at the Test Match were doing it yesterday (although it does work reasonably well during a fast bowler`s run up).

13 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I was thinking we could turn it into the Wurzel Clap...

Drum gives two beats followed by a thunderous Ooooooh 

Drum gives another two beats followed by a thunderous Arrrrrrrrrrr

I know lots of you think it is silly but this is a great idea imo. Gives us a nice loud OhhArr 

Seen a lot of people saying it is 'awful' and 'cringeworthy' etc but not much explanation on why that is. Think @Norn Iron's idea is pretty good. 

Can actually see this being the sort of thing the south stand might buy into - I get the impression there's lots of people in there who enjoy a bit of noise and atmosphere, just perhaps not as vociferously or constantly as those in the Atyeo. There's nothing offensive about the Icelandic clap thing, and there's lots of kids in there. Can see it working in there.

Can also see it being something the club might try and push, a nice gimmick and inoffensive - much like the scarf twirling thing.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seen a lot of people saying it is 'awful' and 'cringeworthy' etc but not much explanation on why that is. Think @Norn Iron's idea is pretty good. 

Can actually see this being the sort of thing the south stand might buy into - I get the impression there's lots of people in there who enjoy a bit of noise and atmosphere, just perhaps not as vociferously or constantly as those in the Atyeo. There's nothing offensive about the Icelandic clap thing, and there's lots of kids in there. Can see it working in there.

Can also see it being something the club might try and push, a nice gimmick and inoffensive - much like the scarf twirling thing.

Because everyone is doing it, Cricket, Football Darts along with the equally dreadful "take me home" song

Anything that's a bit of a laugh and different is worth a go.

All the decent chants and songs are started by the same fifty or so people that ceate so much of the atmosphere and sing when it's quiet so whether it happens or not is down to them.

Whilst I'm not of the opinion that nothing said on this board matters - I think it does - when it comes to chants it doesn't.  What matters is the ideas people come up with in the Three Lions before the game.

I don't think I've ever started a song or chant, joined in - absolutely, but started - no.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Because everyone is doing it, Cricket, Football Darts along with the equally dreadful "take me home" song

Surely anything is better than the usual where 85% of the ground - bar the Atyeo - sit in silence all game.

I'm not one for any sort of contrived atmosphere or gimmicks but if it helps make Ashton Gate a bit noisier, give it a go. The atmosphere was pretty awful last season.

15 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

I know we already had a thread on this but I can't find it. 

Just seen Pembo tweet this saying how class it is and that we should do it...

Personally I'm not a fan but if Hordur is a big hit with the fans I reckon it could be a laugh

image.png

Yeh I started the thread when he signed for us.as I stated we should do the "Thunderclap" to welcome him to Ashton gate. 

13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Let the kids have their fun 

Then after a couple of weeks of it not working

They can blame the Dolman for not joining in

I think this is the point, it's only good because pretty much all the Iceland fans were doing it. Getting maybe 600 people out of 15k doing it will look shit, so it will then be justified in them blaming the Dolman for not joining in.

Same as any chant or song - they are impressive when everyone joins in because of the noise and sight of it, if it's just 200 people spread throughout the south stand then it looks pathetic.

So what are we going to, is everyone going to join in or are 70% going to sit it out complaining about the people standing in front of them. I know what I would like but I'm fairly sure I know what we will get.

I really don't get the hatred for it

If we didn''t have an Icelandic player then I'd question it, but we have, so what is the problem? The 'take me home' and 'x is on fire' chants are everywhere, I guarantee both of those will be sung by City fans at some point this season, they are dull, so why not do something different. I think it will work better away from home personally

14 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I really don't get the hatred for it

If we didn''t have an Icelandic player then I'd question it, but we have, so what is the problem? The 'take me home' and 'x is on fire' chants are everywhere, I guarantee both of those will be sung by City fans at some point this season, they are dull, so why not do something different. I think it will work better away from home personally

I should cocoa, seeing as they stole that song off us/Stevenage anyway  it'll mean Freeman is back on form!

To add insult to injury with that, 'Will Grigg's' doesn't even go seeing as the original lyrics are "Freed from desire" which "Freeman's on fire" actually fits with.

1 hour ago, Sepp Blatter said:

This forum does make me laugh.  I love the whole "its cringe" and "unoriginal" line.  What chant do we possess that is original and unique to us? The bloody stadium sits in silence, so who cares? 

I suspect the vast majority of people (like me) think it's fantastic, and just want we need to liven the match-day experience up. The Ooo-Aaar suggestion is a great way to put our own spin on it. 

The stiff upper lip brigade are of course free to stand there tutting with arms folded.

Must admit, it was very impressive in the stadium at Nice, even an hour before the game, I was a bit bored of it by full time though.

However, I can only see a half hearted, out of time effort coming from us which means I don't think we shouldn't bother at all. 

Archived