IGNORED

Iceland Clap Thread Part II

DavidNoble

21 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Must admit, it was very impressive in the stadium at Nice, even an hour before the game, I was a bit bored of it by full time though.

However, I can only see a half hearted, out of time effort coming from us which means I don't think we shouldn't bother at all. 

That's the spirit!

On 25 July 2016 at 09:51, Phileas Fogg said:

Seen a lot of people saying it is 'awful' and 'cringeworthy' etc but not much explanation on why that is. Think @Norn Iron's idea is pretty good. 

Can actually see this being the sort of thing the south stand might buy into - I get the impression there's lots of people in there who enjoy a bit of noise and atmosphere, just perhaps not as vociferously or constantly as those in the Atyeo. There's nothing offensive about the Icelandic clap thing, and there's lots of kids in there. Can see it working in there.

Can also see it being something the club might try and push, a nice gimmick and inoffensive - much like the scarf twirling thing.

An explanation could be it is unoriginal doing something fans abroad, and in England (Boro) and Scotland ( Motherwell) have been doing for years, maybe decades in the case of German club supporters.

5 minutes ago, WTMS said:

An explanation could be it is unoriginal doing something fans abroad, and in England (Boro) and Scotland ( Motherwell) have been doings for years, maybe decades in the case of German club supporters.

Unoriginal? Its Simon Cowell isn't it?  Isn't the whole point in trying to get the stadium making some noise? Probably got more chance with something unoriginal then something original. Although I guess we could get Paul McCartney to write something then put it to paper and then put one on every seat with instructions on what key to sing in with further instructions on what to do with your flag/arms/scarf etc?

24 minutes ago, WTMS said:

An explanation could be it is unoriginal doing something fans abroad, and in England (Boro) and Scotland ( Motherwell) have been doing for years, maybe decades in the case of German club supporters.

TBH I've never understood the unoriginal argument. The only songs that echo around AG (all stands join in) are Come On You Reds and Ole Ole Bristol City, very generic songs heard at every club. We have plenty of unique songs and many we share with basicly every club in the country. The problem is that there is no area of the stadium where people congregate who join in. The Atyeo is alright but if you were to film the Atyeo from the pitch you'd notice most are not singing but stood with their arms crossed. It is for this reason that chants like this won't work as people just won't get involved.  

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

Unoriginal? Its Simon Cowell isn't it?  Isn't the whole point in trying to get the stadium making some noise? Probably got more chance with something unoriginal then something original. Although I guess we could get Paul McCartney to write something then put it to paper and then put one on every seat with instructions on what key to sing in with further instructions on what to do with your flag/arms/scarf etc?

You can make lots of noise and have a bit of originality too. Bristol City fans like AP and Elvis were, well skilled, witty, Intelligent ... The now. An opinion is City's support is poor because we are now the sheeple. Some will/won't get that pun.

Just so I'm getting this right, can I run this by everyone?

So the people that want to make noise don't want the people that don't make noise to make noise unless the noise they make is original. If the noise that is being made by the people who don't make noise is unoriginal, then the people who are currently making noise won't make noise anymore.  

28 minutes ago, WTMS said:

You can make lots of noise and have a bit of originality too. Bristol City fans like AP and Elvis were, well skilled, witty, Intelligent ... The now. An opinion is City's support is poor because we are now the sheeple. Some will/won't get that pun.

How can you make a lot of noise and be original? Does everyone in the ground have an ear piece in informing them of the lyrics? Does the crowd have to be some sort of Borg Collective all sharing the same thought? 

8 minutes ago, Big C said:

How can you make a lot of noise and be original? Does everyone in the ground have an ear piece in informing them of the lyrics? Does the crowd have to be some sort of Borg Collective all sharing the same thought? 

Well obvious Beatles nod aside Johnson said was done by nobody else. From one game v Charlton I the  Eastend to thousands and BCFC marketing bouncing in what felt like weeks. All stemming from an idea todo something like Rangers bouncy, but without copying it. Ten years on and now City fans often are no more original than "interesting" Reading.

Maybe that is modern football and it's fans, but it is a little underwhelming. No apologies for thinking aim higher boys.

the reason it won't catch on is our fan base can't get on, you get one set of fans calling another set of fans lady gardens, you get the high and mighty super fans who think they are better then everyone else because they can shout the loudest, you get a section who want to watch the game and not join in because that's what they've paid for,

until they all can get on there won't regularly be a decent atmosphere, you'll get it now and then but not on a consistant basis, also the team need to win every week, that helps

2 hours ago, WTMS said:

But an attempt to copy the European ultras style is ok? Please can I have a list of what songs we are allowed to do at Ashton Gate. Only original ones of course.

In the 21st century digital, social media world where we are all inter-connected 24/7 (or 110% of the time), and every top football match is on live every bloody day of the week, or filmed for highlights, or the goals are available on your iphone before the scorer has finished his own-brand, copyrighted celebration and back in place for the restart(probably. If not, they soon will be), fans being distinct and original is a challenge. Anything original that's any good/popular is quickly co-opted and everyone knows about it before you can say "Will Grigg." I believe this is known as "going viral."

It's quite an achievement in these homogeneous times - of huge corporate brands/ chains and identikit high streets and souless shopping malls and fast food outlets selling exactly the same food in Aberdeen to Axminster and everywhere in between and estuary accents and so on and so on - and something worth celebrating, to find a football club that isn't Man Utd or Liverpool or Chelsea, and that isn't "Premiership League," situated in a non-traditional football area, with 13 to 14k season ticket holders and hoping to attract crowds of 17 or 18k.

This is great. 

Let's not start picking at each other about not being original in what we sing. Not in July. Hipsters like being original, they love the bespoke and bijou, being different, like opening a cafe serving ****ing cereals (ffs!), in fact, being original or unique seems to come before being any use or any good. We could come up with bespoke, unique hipster chants and songs if we wanted (see my "Top Cat" song for Tomlin on the monster Tomlin thread) but generally these ideas prove unpopular and too "niche." 

The best football songs and chants are generally simple. But we don't even need to sing songs. We just need to be more enthusiastic and engaged in what is occurring before us, and above all else, we need to encourage the team.

And you don't need any clever or unique words or even any popular tunes to do that. But you do need to put your bloody phone away and let yourself go a bit too. Just for 90 minutes (or even 84/85 minutes...)

Just encourage the team and shout come on and "oooooh" when we shoot or "ggggrrrrrr" when we get a corner, or "uuurrggghhhh!" when someone tackles firmly, and clap your hands, stuff like that. And give the ref some grief. Like the Rotherham game. Just lots of indecipherable, broadly encouraging noise, nice and loud. That'll be enough, to start with.

When we're doing that often enough, then we can think about some unique, bespoke chants and songs (such as my Tomlin "Top Cat" one. He's the indisputable leader of the team. He's the boss, he's a pip, in the Championship, he's the most tip top, Tomlin).....

Archived