IGNORED

Ashton Gate - NEW BUS ROUTES ANNOUNCED (MERGED)

Bat Fastard

I was just reading the article on the Bristol Sport web site about "Ashton Gate Joins Bristol's Solar Revolution" and in the last paragraph but one, it mentions "Bristol Sport has also developed a full travel plan which includes new bus services" - have I missed something?  Can anyone throw any light on this?

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was just reading the article on the Bristol Sport web site about "Ashton Gate Joins Bristol's Solar Revolution" and in the last paragraph but one, it mentions "Bristol Sport has also developed a full travel plan which includes new bus services" - have I missed something?  Can anyone throw any light on this?

I know there were special routes for the rugby and football last season, could this be what they mean?

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I know there were special routes for the rugby and football last season, could this be what they mean?

I doubt if that would constitute a FULL travel plan - maybe some more parking would help for a start.  Special trains that allow Parson Street to be used more fully?  More bus routes?  I hope there will be a "full reveal" at some stage.

44 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Funnily enough BF I read that and tweeted BS for more info. A couple of buses does not a "full travel plan" make. Couple special bus routes with availability of the Park & Ride for all games and maybe even extra parking somewhere within AV or the industrial estate and suddenly you've got a decent solution. Oh, and they're putting in extra bike racks ;o) 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Special trains that allow Parson Street to be used more fully?  

If only !

Ironically last season the trains back to Weston were often full with people standing throughout the train - GWR made some statement about resolving this

THEY DID  . . . . for the last weekend of the season !!!

37 minutes ago, phantom said:

If only !

Ironically last season the trains back to Weston were often full with people standing throughout the train - GWR made some statement about resolving this

THEY DID  . . . . for the last weekend of the season !!!

At least it enabled me to get a free ride back to nailsea/backwell station when I used it, 'cos the guard couldn't be bothered to fight his way through the crush for fares !

A safe, rapid and reliable match day service from Taunton would be good.  In the old days I used to travel from Weston on Bakers coach - that was so convenient and reliable.  If they brought back coaches, it could transform match days and help solve the parking problem - as long as they could work out where to park the coaches!  Ashton Vale maybe?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

A safe, rapid and reliable match day service from Taunton would be good.  In the old days I used to travel from Weston on Bakers coach - that was so convenient and reliable.  If they brought back coaches, it could transform match days and help solve the parking problem - as long as they could work out where to park the coaches!  Ashton Vale maybe?

I'm sure this happens at Derby, large number of fans are coached in from outlying villages in Derbyshire.

8 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I'm sure this happens at Derby, large number of fans are coached in from outlying villages in Derbyshire.

That would be common sense, and if the Club controlled arrival and departure times, they could ensure that travelling fans would have the time to buy more food, drink and merchandise from their outlets.  From a commercial point of view, it has to make sense.  Coaches could come on longer routes and pick up on the way and drop off on the way back.  I reckon that more would come to games if it was convenient and more of a social event.

I have pestered the club about laying on football special buses since Ashton Vale was first proposed and then the redeveloped AG. Falling on deaf years it seems although there was a comment once that the problem lies with the bus company and not the club. Its probably about costs IMO. I am sure the residents would welcome less cars on matchdays. It makes sense which is probably why it never happened.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, marmite said:

I have pestered the club about laying on football special buses since Ashton Vale was first proposed and then the redeveloped AG. Falling on deaf years it seems although there was a comment once that the problem lies with the bus company and not the club. Its probably about costs IMO. I am sure the residents would welcome less cars on matchdays. It makes sense which is probably why it never happened.

Agree 100% with you on this, with the Ashton Vale application, it was a part of the conditions of getting the planning etc that we would lay on suitable travel

What I don't understand we now have a stadium of a similar size but seem to have dropped any travel solutions

There are conditions in the planning permission that get "activated" later in the events of attendances reaching defined numbers.

Look at the following documents available here: http://planningonline.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MQQTQYDN00J00

05 Feb 2014 Decision GRANTED  
05 Feb 2014 Decision PLANNING AGREEMENT

25 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

There are conditions in the planning permission that get "activated" later in the events of attendances reaching defined numbers.

Look at the following documents available here: http://planningonline.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MQQTQYDN00J00

05 Feb 2014 Decision GRANTED  
05 Feb 2014 Decision PLANNING AGREEMENT

Thanks for this. How easy it was 60 years ago with football specials running from all over Bristol to City one week and Rovers the next. Wonderful thing progress:grr:

Having just scanned this, it looks like they are just tinkering at the edges and hoping that the local streets can support the additional cars.  The park and ride at Long Ashton is often only a third full on matchdays - so there must be scope for these close and wasted spaces to be utilised.   Ashton Vale will have car parking as part of the youth training ground development, and that could yield additional parking - and this could be at cost.  The use of Parson Street station was not accurate.  There is not an hourly service serving travellers from Taunton - if there was, then I would use it.  I go online to look on a regular basis and these has been no change.  Coach services for out or Bristol fans could work really well and could be organised so that it would be profitable for the Club. 

• Admin

We are just waiting for the finalised details of the service, which should be announced in the next 24/48 hours.

That page you reference has been updated since 2012 (hence the inclusion of 2015 timetable), it's just that 2012 was the creation date and it doesn't automatically change when you edit the page.

Stay tuned for more info on First Group buses before the weekend.

Regards,

Adam

Posted by Adam Baker in another thread

7 minutes ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

No concessions?

So £12 return for me and 2 kids.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Same here, me and two adults  = £12, plus I wouldn't be able to have a drink as I'd be driving to the park and ride.

Applaud their efforts, but not quite good enough for me to take advantage of yet.

21 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Same here, me and two adults  = £12, plus I wouldn't be able to have a drink as I'd be driving to the park and ride.

Applaud their efforts, but not quite good enough for me to take advantage of yet.

What will you do then?  Drive to the ground?

Do you want them to pick you up from home?

I don't understand what you are criticising..

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Will be sticking with the Abus. Hoping it's still running this season. Anyone??

And only £1 each way. Obviously living in Brislington helps. 

Just spoke to the Abus - yes they are running their services as per previous seasons

• Admin

"The three new services include routes from the Portway Park & Ride; Brislington Park & Ride and a Temple Meads service to and from the stadium, with a number of stops on the way. 

Am I missing something - none of those listed go near Temple Meads ??

Archived