IGNORED

Ashton Gate - NEW BUS ROUTES ANNOUNCED (MERGED)

Bat Fastard

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

They will tackle you on the way out of the Park and Ride and you are likely to be subjected to GBH of the ear holes and told that you have to buy a bus ticket.  This is pretty rich when there are usually upwards of 600 empty parking spaces on a match day.

Do they ask you for a fiver to `Mind yer car mate` as well?

Agree, it is ridiculous, just charge a couple of quid to park if you`re not using the bus. I understand the reason is that they can`t `allow` us to walk to AG from there due to safety issues as there isn`t a lit footpath. Makes you wonder how we`ve all lived this long doesn`t it?

15 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Not being 'local'. What's stopping someone (not me obviously) from parking for free at Long Ashton P&R and walking to AG? 

If they have machine gun posts stopping people from exiting the site other than on a bus, assume you can pay £4 for a ticket get off at Hotwells, have a pint at a dockside pub then walk back to AG. Then after the match, assume you can walk back to the P&R site.

Anyone know whether either/both strategies are viable? 

You can get off at Bower Ashton and have a 5 minute walk to the ground and have a pint while watching the Sky game in one of the many outlets at the ground.  Don't know why we have all the complaints about parking on here when this option is so underused.  Use your bus pass and get FREE parking and travel. 1500 spaces.  Not sure why more people don't do this.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Do they ask you for a fiver to `Mind yer car mate` as well?

Agree, it is ridiculous, just charge a couple of quid to park if you`re not using the bus. I understand the reason is that they can`t `allow` us to walk to AG from there due to safety issues as there isn`t a lit footpath. Makes you wonder how we`ve all lived this long doesn`t it?

Having said that, there are always a number of people walking back to cars after the match and the attendants cannot catch everyone.  You will probably be safer if you do not look like fans - no rattles or scarves!  

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

You can get off at Bower Ashton and have a 5 minute walk to the ground and have a pint while watching the Sky game in one of the many outlets at the ground.  Don't know why we have all the complaints about parking on here when this option is so underused.  Use your bus pass and get FREE parking and travel. 1500 spaces.  Not sure why more people don't do this.

That is a good idea but at least one person from the car could buy a ticket and say something like "we came in the car with Dad, who has gone shopping in the centre on the bus".  He might say two words to you - and you might not understand either of them, but you will have abided by their rules!

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Hopefully this will eventually be extended into north and East Bristol even if it's just one bus each way.

The Wessex 506 service stops at and leaves from the Create Centre, and has good times for games on Saturdays, no return bus for night games though. Handy for Old Market/Central area, Redfield, St George, Easton, Muller Road and Horfield/Southmead .

http://www.wessexbus.com/services/WessexBristol_8/506-SouthmeadHospitaltoCreateCentre_175.html

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

The new Temple Meads route is for rugby only. Presumably City have an agreement with Abus for the existing service and don't want to/can't cause conflict with that.

The announcement on the City site definitely mentions a Temple Meads route: but it does not appear on the links to the 3 routes described! The A bus service to TM  is not the best, and its touch and go whether you get to the station on time - and in one piece!

The club needs to sort out transit from TM to and from the stadium, with lots of fans from outside Bristol (especially from the SE side - Bath and Wiltshire) being put off travelling by car to the Gate by the horrendous traffic and parking problems.

Thanks for the responses.

So being a good honest soul I'll buy a bus ticket, travel to Bower Ashton get off. Then after the match walk back and, if challenged, present my bus ticket.

Sorted as my first reserve, given Bemmy Cricket Club parking is becoming increasingly more challenging. 

PS agree that the Temple Meads route needs urgent attention. No good bleeding waiting for ever at the bus stop outside the ground to fill the bus to 150% capacity when there's a train to catch. No idea what the situation is with bus from TM pre match. Use the ferry or taxi it in the past. 

I think this should be applauded. With the restrictions in parking becoming worse this is a good solution for many. The fact that they keep running for a few hours after the game is fantastic, especially the night matches. hopefully if this is well supported they will extend it to east Bristol. I imagine First Bus are wary of upsetting the horse punchers but if demand is there and it pays then I'm sure they will do it.

Lets make use of it otherwise it won't last and we'll be back to scratching around for parking spaces.

8 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

What will you do then?  Drive to the ground?

Do you want them to pick you up from home?

I don't understand what you are criticising..

1. Yes I will drive to the ground, 3 or 4 people in the car is a lot cheaper.

2. There's no advantage in me driving to a park and ride to then pay the same as I would've in petrol

3. I don't expect to be picked up from home...don't be silly...but for it to be a benefit to me it has to be cheaper and maybe go through a main route. I live in Kingswood so the Bris P&R is too far for me to walk or get another bus to and would not be advantageous to me.

4. It's not un-fair criticism, but realism on my behalf - you may not like my answer, but that's my reasons.

• Admin
13 hours ago, everreddy said:

The announcement on the City site definitely mentions a Temple Meads route: but it does not appear on the links to the 3 routes described! The A bus service to TM  is not the best, and its touch and go whether you get to the station on time - and in one piece!

The club needs to sort out transit from TM to and from the stadium, with lots of fans from outside Bristol (especially from the SE side - Bath and Wiltshire) being put off travelling by car to the Gate by the horrendous traffic and parking problems.

13 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

PS agree that the Temple Meads route needs urgent attention. No good bleeding waiting for ever at the bus stop outside the ground to fill the bus to 150% capacity when there's a train to catch. No idea what the situation is with bus from TM pre match. Use the ferry or taxi it in the past. 

Completely agree with this, was a bit disappointed to see Temple Meads spefically mentioned as a new route but not actually being so

I guess the problem with this is away fans would then begin to use the service more, and can only assume first bus don't want to take it on for this reason

It's great the club are doing something more with transport options but I don't think you can really call Brislington east Bristol! Hopefuly it will take off and First will look at enabling us that are actually in east Bristol to be able to get to the ground on the bus without having to make multiple changes! Surely starting from wick / warmly passing trough Kingswood and Hanahm then backing onto the new Brislington route couldn't be too much trouble!

8 minutes ago, Jamwoo said:

It's great the club are doing something more with transport options but I don't think you can really call Brislington east Bristol! Hopefuly it will take off and First will look at enabling us that are actually in east Bristol to be able to get to the ground on the bus without having to make multiple changes! Surely starting from wick / warmly passing trough Kingswood and Hanahm then backing onto the new Brislington route couldn't be too much trouble!

Oi, what about Downend & Mangoland ?  

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Oi, what about Downend & Mangoland ?  

What were really saying here is that bus transport in the west and east of the city is pretty ****. Still I'm sure the fantastic new shiny metro bus will solve..... ahh wait I forgot it's just for the parts of the city that already have good bus connections.

Still that's nether here nor there, we could really do with a bus service direct to the ground from the deepest darkest east Bristol!

Archived