IGNORED

So when did you ' Pop your Cherry'?

RaspberryRed

26th October 1996. City 4 - Notts County 0. I was 10. My old man had been trying to persuade me and my younger brother to see a match but it didn't really strike us. Then our school got free tickets and sitting with your mates without parents appealed. I was hooked from that day.

I remember Paul Agostino scoring a brace and being sat in either the Dolman or the Williams. 

Coincidentally, I've now taken my lad and he too has the BCFC bug. His first game was on 28th March 2015 against Lee Johnson's Barnsley. It finished 2 - 2 and Pack had a penalty. My son was wondering why Flinty was stood on the centre line with his back to the goal and Pack, bending over and watching the penalty being taken through his legs.

3 hours ago, COACH2 said:

1972 v Chelsea age 10, it was a testimonial match for Gordon Parr,  It was a night match and we went by coach from Clevedon the the excitement when we scored has had me hooked ever since.

City played a joint testimonial match for Alec Briggs and Terry Bush against Chelsea about the same time - or perhaps a year earlier if I remember rightly.

Also a night match. memorable for a then long haired Ray Wilkins appearing for Chelsea (alongside his slightly older brother Graham) as a completely unknown 16/17 year old and looking one of the best players on the pitch.

Did we play Chelsea twice in testimonials in a couple of years?

Although I followed City as a youngster I was never allowed to go to live matches as they were ' too dangerous ' .

When City got into the First division I defied my parents  and sneaked off to watch the team ( glory Hunter ! ) .

I went to most of our top flight matches at home . I was thirteen and my Dad was right , it Was dangerous but I was prepared to fight for my club against the opposition supporters and risk being turned into mincemeat as the East Enders surged down the terrasses when we scored.

I don't remember my first match sadly enough .

My first ever time in the Dolman was Joe Royle's debut .

I remember being in the East End for the abandonned Leeds match and the panic when Hammers fans got in the Stand .

They Cockney buggers chased me and a mate all along Canon's Marsh as we bravely ran away .

Different times, Same bug for my club .

More than 40 years have passed since I first entered into the Church of Ashton Gate  :shocking:

My mates dad worked on the turnstiles (circa 64) and he would get the two of us in for nothing (every game) sat on a wooden bench on the halfway line next to the subs etc.At halftime the St Johns Ambulance would walk around the pitch and all the crowd would throw coppers into a big blanket.We walked behind them and picked up all the coins that missed the blanket (hundreds).Can't remember the first game but i remember big John and Bush.

I finally persuaded my dad to take me to a City game in Oct 79, I was 14 and we beat Coventry 1 - 0, Tom Ritchie winner. He didn't know where we were going and got there just after kick off, and we ended up in the away end. Still, they were singing "City" as well.

Then didn't go again until Jan 82 under my own steam, Aston Villa were European Champions, and we narrowly lost 1 - 0.  You couldn't keep me away after that!!

First away cherry popped, March 83, Torquay 0-2, a Glyn Riley brace if I recall. Gloriously sunny, Sunday afternoon!

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

City played a joint testimonial match for Alec Briggs and Terry Bush against Chelsea about the same time - or perhaps a year earlier if I remember rightly.

Also a night match. memorable for a then long haired Ray Wilkins appearing for Chelsea (alongside his slightly older brother Graham) as a completely unknown 16/17 year old and looking one of the best players on the pitch.

Maybe they did , would be interesting to find out , as a testimonial v Chelsea in the early 70's was definately my first game . 

4 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

1976 versus Leeds, with fog so thick I couldn't see the ball for most of the game. I was squashed in at the front of the enclosure and I think there was a crowd of 30k+.

The game was abandoned at HT.

Same one was me.

It is highly possible I have simply imagined this, but I recall in the programme there was an ad for a 1st single by a new band, the Sex Pistols.  Whatever happened to them?

April 93 City 2-1Rovers

goals by Nicky Morgan and Ian Brown (obvs taking a break from the stone roses then)

i went to that game as a 9 year old  who had just fell in love with football, and decided whoever won I would support!

thank god that the gas didn't win that night!!!!

2nd game was vs Birmingham city and Wayne Allison scored a hattie 

3 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

Home to Forest in December '93. Collymore ripped us apart and scored twice.

I was 6 and loved it.

I remember thinking it was packed and since found out the attendance was over 20k!

I remember this game!!!it was one of my first too! Pearce played as well I believe?. Forest walked the league that year! My recollection is collymore scored a worldy and bagged a hat trick though. Might be wrong, I was only 9!

wasnt it Boxing Day aswell?it was rammed

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I remember a night game against Chelsea in about 67/68......A friendly or testimonial?

57 minutes ago, KeithWelch'sTash said:

I remember this game!!!it was one of my first too! Pearce played as well I believe?. Forest walked the league that year! My recollection is collymore scored a worldy and bagged a hat trick though. Might be wrong, I was only 9!

wasnt it Boxing Day aswell?it was rammed

28th December 1993. Collymore got 2 :thumbsup:

Rob Edwards scored for us.

1987 I think. I was 11 or 12. I don't remember who we were playing that night, but I remember Joe Jordan burying the ball into the net at the old East End. I was stood just in front of my Dad on the steps in front of the old Williams stand. The atmophere was electric and I'll never forget the amazing feeling I felt that night! Even if I can't remember who City were playing, or what the score was.

My first ever pro league game unfortunately was at Eastville in the Fa cup a replay against Leicester . Our school had free tickets so I went out of curiosity , hanging baskets and a speedway track were the only things that stood out that night match oh and the uneasiness of being on the wrong side of the river. Think Lineaker played and Rovers lost, 80 ish maybe ?

My first game was 4th September 1965 v Huddersfield Town in the old Division 2 having achieved promotion by hundredths of a goal the previous April.  I was 14 years old.  Been a City fan since 1956 because the "big" boys wouldn't let me upstairs on the 4A bus to Filwood Broadway unless I declared my loyalty to the Reds!! (Anyone else a Christ the King old boy?).  Persuaded my dad to take me even though he was convinced we'd lose cos Huddersfield were "a good team".  I remember we were stood behind the goal in the "Open" end.  Goals from Terry Bush & Roger Peters saw us home with a 2-1 win and up to 4th place in the table.  The season ended with us being Soooooooo close to back-to-back promotions.  If only we'd done the double over Southampton over the Easter weekend instead of the single away point ....................we'd have gone up with Man City instead of Southampton.  That's life!

Archived