IGNORED

Oh how the mighty have fallen

foghornred

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Tin hat at the ready, but I must be the only one who didn't really rate him, excellent shot stopper, but a bit too Cashleyesq for me .

I think his ability as a keeper was overstated slightly but his 'always believe' mantra was the unofficial club motto and I believe his personality was a driving force for our success as a team between 2006 and 2008. In addition he was flamboyant yet a good player, a trait worth having as a pro footballer.

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Tin hat at the ready, but I must be the only one who didn't really rate him, excellent shot stopper, but a bit too Cashleyesq for me .

How very dare you.

Your next unwarranted comment will be something like Jet will end up at Gillingham.

Shame on you for such a fat and lazy attitude.

Once saw Basso at a pre season open day. Absolutely sweltering heat, he was completely surrounded and penned in by hundreds of people all desperate for a picture or autograph. To his credit he dealt with everyone, not just a quick scribble but a handshake, smile, photo and time for all. Irrespective of his footballing ability he earned my respect that day. Top Man, and always will be...

After we lost away to Ipswich (was it 7-0?) we played them at home a few games later and won 2-0. I was working away and missed the game, but was following via the radio/teletext and text's from my daughter. At one point in the second half I got a text from her that simply said "I love Basso, he is amazing". When I saw the highlights, I saw the incident that had prompted that text. Ipswich had a breakaway which left them with 3 -1 advantage, the one being Basso. He made 3 1 on 1 saves to keep the score 2-0!

He was also partly responsible for my biggest moment of fame when, during the last few minutes of the Palace play off game, the Sky cameras lingered on me for around 30 seconds as I was bellowing out the the "oh Basso" chant.

For his positivity alone he was a legend in his spell here.

Archived