IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Wigan Athletic Match Day Thread

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Hadwin and Frankie on RB said it was because Tammy looked offside.

Yeah he was flirting with being offside all the way on that run. I see why people think Kodjia should've played it through but it's always a risky one if you're not sure and would be a terrible waste if he had flicked it through only for Tammy to get caught.

The difference a season makes.

Last year we were where Wigan are now, newly promoted and used to winning.

then you come up against a team with some more experienced players, and more used to the intensity of the championship, who keep going until the end of the game....

Well done City, showed good composure today, who knows how important these three points could be at the end of the season (even if we end safely mid-table, the win could make our whole season very different than had we lost today, and confidence starts ebbing away...)

• Like 2
Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Hadwin and Frankie on RB said it was because Tammy looked offside.

Well if he was, it was a heck of a spot by JK. I had no view of it to tell if he was or wasn't but looked close from behind. That's the kind of football we should've played all game. There was some quick play with a few tricks, lots of pace and power and the ball on the ground for most of it. We play like that then I think we'll give most teams a run for it and push top 6 because not many play that way and it's tough for championship defenders to defend. 

• Like 2

The difference between the halfs were night and day. We started the game off well and really should have gone one up as Kodjia was through on goal but fluffed it. After that we were very limp and Wigan looked like the home team with all their posession. Once they got their goal they simply sat back and didn't seem a threat at all. They also started to time waste very early on.

We started the second half okish and were more in the game. The subs really made a difference and it was obvious that if we could get one we would go on to win the game.

Really impressed with Tammy. The ball just sticks to his feet.

Magnusson looked shaky first half, confident second half. Brownhill didn't really work in the attacking midfield position. We needed more direct links with Kodjia, who proved exactly why he's not yet worth 10m. O Neill was a great marshal, Pack did well to play the Korey Smith role. O Dowda looks special.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

No I have confidence in Lee to change things and he did.  Brilliant

My comment related to Kodjiaand as it turns out I was correct

Believe in Lee

I'll say it - were you bollox right. What you would need to be right is for Kodjia to even have a real sniff today. That he didn't except when he conjured something from nothing and hit the post or pressurised the back four at the start. Other than that our chance creation was absolutely abysmal. 

Kodjia was woefully supported today by his teammates. He was hamstrung by having a CAM who couldn't get in to the game and a left sided forward who couldn't either. That and a ref who decided to make pushing and shoving a legitimate defence. 

That Tammy came on and scored from a set peice does not vindicate your view. 

Think we will have quite a few games like today this season. Away team pack midfield spoiling tactics etc. Goalkeeper

was on a go slow once they went one up. Different story when we got our second. Wigan were very average to be honest.

Looking at the stats we dominated really without being very clever in the final third. They made us play hoofball a lot of the

time but got to give us credit we did persevere. Abraham showed class when he came on. All the subs made a big difference in the end.

We will learn a lot from this game. The squad has strength in depth and to be honest I don't think Lee knows his best starting 11 yet.

10 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I'll say it - were you bollox right. What you would need to be right is for Kodjia to even have a real sniff today. That he didn't except when he conjured something from nothing and hit the post or pressurised the back four at the start. Other than that our chance creation was absolutely abysmal. 

Kodjia was woefully supported today by his teammates. He was hamstrung by having a CAM who couldn't get in to the game and a left sided forward who couldn't either. That and a ref who decided to make pushing and shoving a legitimate defence. 

That Tammy came on and scored from a set peice does not vindicate your view. 

Meh, what do you know? You were only at the game while he wasn't.

25 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

Think Hordur was shocked at the pace of things 1st half but the good sign was he adapted fast and looked a different player after the break

More of a problem was Brownhill the game just passed him by, not sure that was the right position for him

Strange, I thought he looked rather composed. Read the game very well. Even tried a few Hollywood balls that didn't quite come off. Sometimes instead of just heading it out he would let the ball drop and turn so he would have posession of the ball. Very impressed.

19 minutes ago, City169 said:

He wasn't initially, but Kodjia held it too long then he was, he then got himself onside again and should have been passed to

yep, if he had passed when he should it would have been perfect, instead Tammy had to stop, check himself and move forward again, and still Kod's did not lay on the easiest of passes that would have been a near certain goal.... it's hard to knock strikers for being selfish as in a way they need to be, but twice today Kod's could have given a simple pass and we would have scored....

4 minutes ago, Fiale said:

yep, if he had passed when he should it would have been perfect, instead Tammy had to stop, check himself and move forward again, and still Kod's did not lay on the easiest of passes that would have been a near certain goal.... it's hard to knock strikers for being selfish as in a way they need to be, but twice today Kod's could have given a simple pass and we would have scored....

To be fair; they've only just met, so I'd give them a little time to gel.

Hopefully both will get more chances to play together, develop an understanding, then we'll have seriously potent strike force.

I also think part of Kodjia's selfish play comes from so often having been the only true threat we carried last year; he's so used to carving out his own chances, he forgets he can play off his teammates!