IGNORED

No Mans Sky

Gazred

Anyone got it? Thoughts?

I put about 90 mins in last night at launch - its good so far. The staggeringly massive world they have created leaves you overwhelmed initially. The planet i started on was huge, my first objective on there was a 15 min walk away!

Got my ship off the planets surface eventually and into space, looked at the map, went 'oh bloody hell!' then saved and switched off for the night. 

Things i have seen/experienced so far:

A large variety of flora and fauna. (Any creature on land with tentacles is just plain ugly, yet fascinating!) 

An Alien trader with an elephants trunk for a face.

A beautiful crystal cave complex - got lost in there, then found the rather deadly spider/scorpion things.

A fleet of capital ships in orbit engaged in a fight with smaller craft.

Surely only the tip of the iceberg. More weird and wonderful things to discover for sure.

42 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Anyone got it? Thoughts?

I put about 90 mins in last night at launch - its good so far. The staggeringly massive world they have created leaves you overwhelmed initially. The planet i started on was huge, my first objective on there was a 15 min walk away!

Got my ship off the planets surface eventually and into space, looked at the map, went 'oh bloody hell!' then saved and switched off for the night. 

A large variety of flora and fauna. (Any creature on land with tentacles is just plain ugly, yet fascinating!) 

A beautiful crystal cave complex - got lost in there, then found the rather deadly spider/scorpion things.

Surely only the tip of the iceberg. More weird and wonderful things to discover for sure.

You shouldn't buy this kind of stuff on the streets.  Best to flush it down the loo.

13 hours ago, Gazred said:

Anyone got it? Thoughts?

Eh? Been on the mushrooms?

14 hours ago, Gazred said:

Anyone got it? Thoughts?

A guy at works been on about this for ages, everyone's got their own planet...

Not got it but read initially that to create the size from limited space that the game effectively starts mixing and matching from its different elements so instead of finding something new it is in fact a combination of things you have already found. So although people have said it is great to start it will get very tedious after a while.

38 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Not got it but read initially that to create the size from limited space that the game effectively starts mixing and matching from its different elements so instead of finding something new it is in fact a combination of things you have already found. So although people have said it is great to start it will get very tedious after a while.

Yep pretty much. Bare in mind that the minimum number of combinations is bigger than anything ever created before. Some of the numbers involved in this game are staggering. 

Within 12 hours of play, people had discovered over 10 million different species already - that's more than we have discovered on Earth and the variety is pretty good.

I'd tend to agree though, once you have finished the main story if you can call it that, then the incentive to keep checking out new galaxies and planets will certainly decline.

The game has a nice pace though, it's as casual as you want it to be, no need to rush.

Interesting article on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Yep pretty much. Bare in mind that the minimum number of combinations is bigger than anything ever created before. Some of the numbers involved in this game are staggering. 

Within 12 hours of play, people had discovered over 10 million different species already - that's more than we have discovered on Earth and the variety is pretty good.

I'd tend to agree though, once you have finished the main story if you can call it that, then the incentive to keep checking out new galaxies and planets will certainly decline.

The game has a nice pace though, it's as casual as you want it to be, no need to rush.

Interesting article on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

Is there a sandbox element to it? What makes huge games like this playable after the story is the ability to arse about (like GTA and Just Cause I have more game hours messing about than actual story) in the world they've created. 

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Is there a sandbox element to it? What makes huge games like this playable after the story is the ability to arse about (like GTA and Just Cause I have more game hours messing about than actual story) in the world they've created. 

It's the biggest sandbox you have ever seen. Just one planet would eclipse the total playing area in something like GTAV multiple times. That said, its pretty barren in terms of things to be messing about with. Each planet will have abandoned structures, some also inhabited, space stations and trading posts. There are non player characters around.

In terms of the feel of the game i would say its closer to the Fallout series than anything else but much more streamlined in terms of game play elements and stuff to do.

I would say if you went into the game expecting as much as a Fallout/GTA/JC in terms of game play you would probably feel a bit disappointed. 

I've been incredibly excited for it since it was announced at E3, but I haven't been playing on my PS4 for a few months due to various things so I'm not sure I'll be getting it anytime soon. Moving to uni for a year so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of taking it with me, if I do then I'll be buying NMS and the new battlefield which looks great.

After three days and little direction, it has become very tedious.

Structures size and layouts are identical, sentinels are an absolute pain in the ariss, inventory issues are tedious, no sense of ai when interracting with various factions.

the doubling up glitch/workaround means that I also have more units than I know what to do with.

Well a week on and i can see why this game does not appeal to all. Certainly repetitive but the planets, flora and fauna are certainly getting odder the closer you get to the center of the universe. I just find it moreish.

Have used a few black holes to short cut, they are about the equivalent of  around 5 to 10 normal hyper space jumps. Found a vein of Nickel on a planet, so big by the time i had finished there was a hole 50ft wide and 100ft+ deep. Right nearby was a smaller Gold one. Both of these were near a settlement with a Galaxy Trading point, i made a killing and am now on the lookout for a decent ship upgrade. Found a really nice crashed ship but for the life of me i just could not harvest the materials to repair, the moon i was on was just a barren rock, devoid of almost every useful material you would need.

I'm going to endeavour to reach the centre, i'm still exploring along the way and have so far put about 15-20 hours into the game. I'm expecting at least that number of hours again before I'm close to finishing it.

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Absolute rubbish it's mediocre at best 

Not your cup of tea then Monk?

I think it's got a lot of potential and i do wonder if there is extra content planned which might flesh things out a bit or even enhance the game play a bit. 

It's technical achievements far outweigh the everything else about it. Someone will get that tech into a much richer game if they don't do it themselves for a sequel. 

Have to bare in mind this came from a team of originally 10 British developers. It should of come out as just another independent title, as soon as Sony got involved it got hyped to high heaven. 

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Not your cup of tea then Monk?

I think it's got a lot of potential and i do wonder if there is extra content planned which might flesh things out a bit or even enhance the game play a bit. 

It's technical achievements far outweigh the everything else about it. Someone will get that tech into a much richer game if they don't do it themselves for a sequel. 

Have to bare in mind this came from a team of originally 10 British developers. It should of come out as just another independent title, as soon as Sony got involved it got hyped to high heaven. 

I could be a fan, but in its current state it's nothing but a glorious tech demo,

the universe while massive feels empty and lifeless

I'm hoping that this game will be like Minecraft, in that new features are added over time. 

Theres an interesting post I saw in Reddit that goes someway to explaining why certain features may be watered down, but it's a hypothesis rather than fact.

Calling this game a tech demo is clearly wrong, but at the same time it's not worth it's AA price tag either. It's a 6/10 for me simply because it's very basic as it stands. The devs have said that new features are incoming, so hopefully it will reach its full potential- The question is once the new Mass Effect comes out will NMS just lose all appeal? I'll certainly be taking a long break once Battlefield and FIFA drop.

Archived