IGNORED

The Official Burton Albion v Bristol City Match Day Thread

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good afternoon one and all.

Marmite. Bass. Branston Pickle. 

Burton Upon Trent is on a Derbyshire postal code but is located in Staffordshire; It is on the River Trent, as the name suggests, which borders both counties, 23 miles west is Stafford and 12 miles east is Derby. It is in the Domesday Book, sits on a Roman road, Rykneld Street, otherwise known as the A38 and is a pretty little town of 70,000 souls on the edge of the National Forest to the south. Burton is also on the Trent & Mersey Canal, opened in 1777 that formed a focal point during the Industrial Revolution. Toyota make cars just down the road. That’s the boring stuff out of the way.

Burton is famous for breweries. Oh yes. Well Pirelli Tyres too, lets not forget the Italians nor the Peel family, residents for hundreds of years and omnipresent in Politics and Industry in their day. So, back to brewing, at its peak around 1908 it had over 30 breweries and produced enough ale to salivate and satisfy the appetites of 25% of the entire population of the country. That is some going. Why? Well apparently the Benedictine Monks deserve credit for discovering the water of the River Trent was found to be ideal for brewing ale due to a high concentration of dissolved salts from gypsum occurring in the nearby land. Monks and Ale, a peculiarly delightful image of Friar Tuck now presents itself in my mind.

Bass, now owned by Coors, Marstons plc and six other breweries, mainly of micro brewery size, are the remaining manufacturers of beer in Burton. The town remains an important brewer.

We have many things to thank Burton for two of which I would like to remind you all of are Marmite and Branston Pickle from the nearby village of Branston although Crosse & Blackwell sold up years ago and sadly the factory moved to Suffolk; I wondered why the taste had gone. But Marmite remains. The fundamental ingredient being, of course, yeast extract which is a by product of beer production so no surprise Marmite grew up in Burton.

Interestingly the Danish Gov’t banned the sale of Marmite because it had too many vitamins. I always considered the Scandinavians rather on the healthier side of life so this was a shock when first announced in 2011. You see, apart from the yeast extract, Marmite contains Thiamin which is Vitamin B1, Riboflavin or Vitamin B2, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid. Now, I don’t know about you but to my mind these are all, without exception, pretty darn good for the body. The other blacklisted foods were that poor substitute from down under called Vegemite, Horlicks, Ovaltine and Farleys Rusks. I grew up on that lot so its a big NO from me to raise my children in Denmark. Fortunately that notion is no longer valid because a certain British food importer called David Darlington had the ban overturned when he proved Marmite was not dangerous. What funny people.

I for one am delighted this quaint little Domesday Book town essentially in the pin ***** middle of our gurt lush green land has a sports team for the locals to be mighty proud of. Burton upon Trent is remarkable for possibly having the most football league sides of any town in England for its size. Until 1901 it actually had two simultaneously in Burton Swifts and Burton Wanderers, which were then merged to form one in Burton United; I wonder what the uproar was back in the day, quite probably none at all. A stiff upper lip and one just jolly well got on with it.

That said, an interesting event took place 6 years previously; Burton Wanderers, then in their second stint in Division 2, were home to Newcastle United at their Derby Turn ground. The date was April 15th, 1895. The final score was… Burton Wanderers 9, Newcastle United 0. A quite a remarkable result and one that, to this day, remains the greatest defeat ever suffered by the Toon. It may very well be revisited by Burton fans when Newcastle visit the Pirelli Stadium on December 17th and then again, in Newcastle, on April 6th. It will be the first league meeting between a Burton and Newcastle team since 1897.

City never played Wanderers or Swifts in the league but they did Burton United between 1901 and 1906 winning 7, drawing 1 and losing 2. Burton United were dissolved in 1940 and the town went without a football team until the Brewers were formed in 1950. 

So while Burton Albion are in the second tier of English football for the first time, as journalists frequently remind us, let us not forget that Burton have been at this level before and, a few times at least, actually won a few games and rather convincingly. I might suggest that Burton Albion are the phoenix club for all of the previous Burton football league teams and they are staking a claim for being a second tier club once more. Jolly good luck to them against Newcastle, particularly, but today I think we will come away with the spoils. On our last league visit to Burton, in 1905, we narrowly won 1-0. I’ll settle for the same today please. 

Enjoy your local ale today and can I recommend the ‘Golden Delicious’ before the match and the ‘Stairway to Heaven’ after it… when you can take something a little stronger to celebrate the win. Safe travels to all our marvelous travelling fans. It will be a delightful day out I am sure.

And Finally....Let me just say one more time, Burton is famous for breweries. I am saying it again because I do not believe the remark I made at the beginning of this thread had sufficient gravitas to sink in. A little over a century ago Burton was, without doubt, the undisputed brewing capital of the world. It had over 30 breweries and was home to India Pale Ale, copied hundreds of times in the USA but never bettered. Few people in Britain, let alone Burton, know nor appreciate nor care; you only have to go to Burton to realise that. People from Dublin, Munich or Pilsen would never let that happen. One day, when Burton Albion do something gargantuan, like reach the Premier League people might discover the history and the story might start re-telling itself; it sure won’t do it alone. 

Come on City, go thrash the Albion. :)

Pretty little town!? WTGR...are you on drugs?

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

4-1 to City, Tomlin x2, O'Neil and Flint.

Also think they'll score today, from highlights last weekend look like they play an open attacking game. Will certainly be up for it , there first home game at this level.

Important we win, two tough games coming up next week. Will be a good confidence boost going into them with three wins on the bounce 

Apparently we have played at their stadium before in a friendly according to a Burton fan:

There is only one previous occasion that I can recall that we have played Bristol City. In 1965 the Robins sold us their old floodlights, they became the first floodlights to be installed at Eton Park. Bristol City sent a team for a friendly to mark the switch-on. The score was 4-4. John Atyeo who is a Bristol City legend played that night.

An excellent post as always but I think it underplayed the brewery side a bit, especially Bass.

In the nineteenth century, Bass was probably the best known English name around the world. It's red triangle trademark was the first in Britain and known worldwide. Visiting the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851, the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson's recorded reaction was "can one get a decent bottle of Bass here?" 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Leveller said:

An excellent post as always but I think it underplayed the brewery side a bit, especially Bass.

In the nineteenth century, Bass was probably the best known English name around the world. It's red triangle trademark was the first in Britain and known worldwide. Visiting the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851, the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson's recorded reaction was "can one get a decent bottle of Bass here?" 

Bass was the seventh word of my thread.. not bad in my opinion. Anyway, I think you are being drollishly ;) sarcastic but always hard to tell with Marmite lovers.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Currently in Cornwall and enjoying a few  pints of the famous Cornish local brew- Doom Bar.

Now brewed in Burton.

Let's hope by 5:00 p.m. that  I've got good reason for a Tribute instead ( still brewed in the West Country)

It's Doom or Tribute time.

Get yourself a Proper Job or Top Job if you can find one. :yawn:

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Currently in Cornwall and enjoying a few  pints of the famous Cornish local brew- Doom Bar.

Now brewed in Burton.

Let's hope by 5:00 p.m. that  I've got good reason for a Tribute instead ( still brewed in the West Country)

It's Doom or Tribute time.

Remember having a lunchtime session at the Blue Anchor in Helston many years ago after discovering Spingo.

Thought it was great at the time, wonder if it's still being brewed down there?

Just now, cheshire_red said:

I have some Spingo and Spingo Special on tap right now, brewed at the iconic Blue Anchor in Helston.

Great stuff.

I only went in for a quick pint, but ended up having several more, and exited the Blue Anchor a few hours later in great spirits singing about the virtues of the newly discovered Spingo.

That was about 30 years ago. Never had it since. :(