IGNORED

The Official Burton Albion v Bristol City Match Day Thread

I'd imagine you'd have to offer £10m or more plus bonuses, sell ons, and potential buy back clauses before that would be considered. Chelsea think as highly of TA as we do, if not more. By all accounts this loan deal was done and that Conte was impressed with Abraham enough to take him on their preseason tour. 

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Wouldn't want to be stuck in the trenches with some of you lot...

Never understood this phrase, it suggests those that were pessimistic about heading towards the German lines armed with a stick and a revolver, after years of seeing the same tactic fail, were wrong.

Edited by RumRed

Tammy has great potential from what we've seen so far. However another Chelsea striker, Patrick Bamford took the Championship by storm as well and his career has stuttered and stalled since.

I'm sure Chelsea have high hopes for Tammy, but I can't see him featuring for their first team until he his the finished article. Chelsea don't really do player development. 

So Tammy needs to be careful about his next move. At his age, he won't go far wrong by staying in the Championship for a few seasons. 

All that is certain is we have him for the season, and we got to enjoy him whilst we can. It tearing me up inside that I can't get too attached to him!!

TBF it sounds like we've nicked it, and we've got a lot of work to do.

Just switching on the Norwich game to get a sense of them, but I do think Tuesday night will be a very, very, very hard match.

The fact we can lose that game and have 6 in the bag is nice; a point would be fantastic, and good to be able to think that!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good afternoon one and all.

Marmite. Bass. Branston Pickle. 

Burton Upon Trent is on a Derbyshire postal code but is located in Staffordshire; It is on the River Trent, as the name suggests, which borders both counties, 23 miles west is Stafford and 12 miles east is Derby. It is in the Domesday Book, sits on a Roman road, Rykneld Street, otherwise known as the A38 and is a pretty little town of 70,000 souls on the edge of the National Forest to the south. Burton is also on the Trent & Mersey Canal, opened in 1777 that formed a focal point during the Industrial Revolution. Toyota make cars just down the road. That’s the boring stuff out of the way.

Burton is famous for breweries. Oh yes. Well Pirelli Tyres too, lets not forget the Italians nor the Peel family, residents for hundreds of years and omnipresent in Politics and Industry in their day. So, back to brewing, at its peak around 1908 it had over 30 breweries and produced enough ale to salivate and satisfy the appetites of 25% of the entire population of the country. That is some going. Why? Well apparently the Benedictine Monks deserve credit for discovering the water of the River Trent was found to be ideal for brewing ale due to a high concentration of dissolved salts from gypsum occurring in the nearby land. Monks and Ale, a peculiarly delightful image of Friar Tuck now presents itself in my mind.

Bass, now owned by Coors, Marstons plc and six other breweries, mainly of micro brewery size, are the remaining manufacturers of beer in Burton. The town remains an important brewer.

We have many things to thank Burton for two of which I would like to remind you all of are Marmite and Branston Pickle from the nearby village of Branston although Crosse & Blackwell sold up years ago and sadly the factory moved to Suffolk; I wondered why the taste had gone. But Marmite remains. The fundamental ingredient being, of course, yeast extract which is a by product of beer production so no surprise Marmite grew up in Burton.

Interestingly the Danish Gov’t banned the sale of Marmite because it had too many vitamins. I always considered the Scandinavians rather on the healthier side of life so this was a shock when first announced in 2011. You see, apart from the yeast extract, Marmite contains Thiamin which is Vitamin B1, Riboflavin or Vitamin B2, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid. Now, I don’t know about you but to my mind these are all, without exception, pretty darn good for the body. The other blacklisted foods were that poor substitute from down under called Vegemite, Horlicks, Ovaltine and Farleys Rusks. I grew up on that lot so its a big NO from me to raise my children in Denmark. Fortunately that notion is no longer valid because a certain British food importer called David Darlington had the ban overturned when he proved Marmite was not dangerous. What funny people.

I for one am delighted this quaint little Domesday Book town essentially in the pin ***** middle of our gurt lush green land has a sports team for the locals to be mighty proud of. Burton upon Trent is remarkable for possibly having the most football league sides of any town in England for its size. Until 1901 it actually had two simultaneously in Burton Swifts and Burton Wanderers, which were then merged to form one in Burton United; I wonder what the uproar was back in the day, quite probably none at all. A stiff upper lip and one just jolly well got on with it.

That said, an interesting event took place 6 years previously; Burton Wanderers, then in their second stint in Division 2, were home to Newcastle United at their Derby Turn ground. The date was April 15th, 1895. The final score was… Burton Wanderers 9, Newcastle United 0. A quite a remarkable result and one that, to this day, remains the greatest defeat ever suffered by the Toon. It may very well be revisited by Burton fans when Newcastle visit the Pirelli Stadium on December 17th and then again, in Newcastle, on April 6th. It will be the first league meeting between a Burton and Newcastle team since 1897.

City never played Wanderers or Swifts in the league but they did Burton United between 1901 and 1906 winning 7, drawing 1 and losing 2. Burton United were dissolved in 1940 and the town went without a football team until the Brewers were formed in 1950. 

So while Burton Albion are in the second tier of English football for the first time, as journalists frequently remind us, let us not forget that Burton have been at this level before and, a few times at least, actually won a few games and rather convincingly. I might suggest that Burton Albion are the phoenix club for all of the previous Burton football league teams and they are staking a claim for being a second tier club once more. Jolly good luck to them against Newcastle, particularly, but today I think we will come away with the spoils. On our last league visit to Burton, in 1905, we narrowly won 1-0. I’ll settle for the same today please. 

Enjoy your local ale today and can I recommend the ‘Golden Delicious’ before the match and the ‘Stairway to Heaven’ after it… when you can take something a little stronger to celebrate the win. Safe travels to all our marvelous travelling fans. It will be a delightful day out I am sure.

And Finally....Let me just say one more time, Burton is famous for breweries. I am saying it again because I do not believe the remark I made at the beginning of this thread had sufficient gravitas to sink in. A little over a century ago Burton was, without doubt, the undisputed brewing capital of the world. It had over 30 breweries and was home to India Pale Ale, copied hundreds of times in the USA but never bettered. Few people in Britain, let alone Burton, know nor appreciate nor care; you only have to go to Burton to realise that. People from Dublin, Munich or Pilsen would never let that happen. One day, when Burton Albion do something gargantuan, like reach the Premier League people might discover the history and the story might start re-telling itself; it sure won’t do it alone. 

Come on City, go thrash the Albion. :)

Condensed Version

Burton Albion:

A little late I'm sorry but who cares .............

WE WON  :clap::banana:

BRING OUT THE MARMITE !!

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Wow. That 33/1 I've got is going to be much shorter now. 

Only 33/1?  Took too long getting you bet on ;) (from the Tammy Abraham thread):

Cider_boy    341 

Skybet currently have him as 40/1 top championship goal scorer, with Kodjia at 25/1.

Depends where LJ uses him, I guess, but if it is alongside Kodjia, he could bang in a fair few by looks of it?

Long way to go yet though...

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Is it just me who finds the Sky highlights horrible to watch? I have very good wifi and YouTube works fine, but whenever I try and watch the highlights on Sky's website it goes juddery and skips frames. Means I have to watch it about 3 times just to see all the goals properly.

It's the same for me. Juddering all over the place despite me having a decent enough connection to stream other stuff clearly.

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hmmm, I might be a little miffed if I was a Burton fan.  Abraham certainly seemed to be using a lot of physical pressure on their defender for the winner.

It's the sort of tackle that you feel a big team always gets the decision and the minnow (usually us) gets done over.

We need Matthews back and fit.  All of Burton's attacks came down their left.  Probably deliberately.

45 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Tammy brilliance should not hide we are miles off a coherent team. 6 points is a massive boost before we enter a tough run of games . Lots of individual potential , which is encouraging , but the boys and LJ and coaches got lots to do . Season will be up and down for first months for sure as they all get it sorted .

tammy , well he is on another planet it seems . 

Bit of perspective, we have played two of the sides promoted last season and expect the next 3 league games to be more of an idea as to how we will do this season but happy to have 6 points already TBH 

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

Agree, we have 6 points but are clearly miles off potential, which is fantastic. I think squad and LJ will improve together , and all have huge potential. 

Actually quite pleased we have Newcastle at home so soon into the season, especially after the start they've had.

Got one less day to recover than we do, plus the travel, and even if we head into the match having lost to Nowich, there will be pressure on Newcastle.

If Korey is actually back for that game as him and LJ have both hinted it, then even better.

14 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Update: 4 tries in, still haven't managed to see Tammy's second goal properly.

Me too. I  fact this week and last week's goals were very uncear on telly.

Need to tell LJ that we need  a few world screamers from 25 yards so they can be seen more clearly on the highlights.

14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's the same for me. Juddering all over the place despite me having a decent enough connection to stream other stuff clearly.

I've got a fairly zippy Linux box and the Sky highlights work fine, I suspect they are in HD resolution which means a decent graphics card and a fast link required