IGNORED

Derrick Williams Joined Blackburn (Official)

Bat Fastard

13 minutes ago, City169 said:

Williams is a far better player than you're giving him credit for. His only appearances were when the entire back line looked awful, apart from Huddersfield at home, where he was brilliant.

Its no coincidence he won young player of the year in 2013/14 despite JET being in that category and scoring 20 odd goals, Williams has a bright future ahead of him,  and I'm pretty sure a team like Blackburn would be happy to have him join.

The way they've defended so far they look like they'd be happy to have a one legged blind man join. 

32 minutes ago, City169 said:

Williams is a far better player than you're giving him credit for. His only appearances were when the entire back line looked awful, apart from Huddersfield at home, where he was brilliant.

Its no coincidence he won young player of the year in 2013/14 despite JET being in that category and scoring 20 odd goals, Williams has a bright future ahead of him,  and I'm pretty sure a team like Blackburn would be happy to have him join.

Blackburn eh?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Football has gone that way.  No loyalty left and as it works both ways then fine by me!

I think you're right. A lot of us have loyalty to the league one winning team and there's no place for such loyalty if we really want to progress. 

I wonder how many of LJ's non signings he considers good enough. 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People love a trier don't they! Good league one defender but that is it.  Hopefully sign another centre back and move him on.

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Football has gone that way.  No loyalty left and as it works both ways then fine by me!

Spot on. Nothing against Del on a personal level but as a club we've tolerated mediocrity for far too long. 

For the first time in a long long time we seem to be getting almost everything right off the pitch and that includes not getting sentimental about average players if an opportunity arises to replace them with better. 

If we are to make progress on the field then DW being our only backup centre back is not going to make that happen. 

The fact that Tammy already (at 18) looks a better player than Kodjia is a perfect demonstration of how big the gulf is between where we are and where we want to be. 

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think you're right. A lot of us have loyalty to the league one winning team and there's no place for such loyalty if we really want to progress. 

Bryan, Flint, Korey, KODJIA and probably Pack.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Managers need to 100% trust a player and I think, from the players who were already here, he only feels that way about Flint, Smith, Bryan, Pack and Kodjia. 

Pack will be debated by some on here but I get the impression that Johnson really rates him.  Will obviously change my mind if he wasn't on the bench on Saturday just so he is fresh for tomorrow though!  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Managers need to 100% trust a player and I think, from the players who were already here, he only feels that way about Flint, Smith, Bryan, Pack and Kodjia. 

Pack will be debated by some on here but I get the impression that Johnson really rates him.  Will obviously change my mind if he wasn't on the bench on Saturday just so he is fresh for tomorrow though!  

I'd be surprised if LJ didn't rate Pack given the sort of player he was himself. 

Williams is a more than adequate back up. People willing to give Vyner a chance and not Williams is silly. Not as young as Zak but young for a CB. He played most games last year in a back 3 or at wingback. Not seen much of him in a back 4 tbf. 

That being said, Moore is a much better option as back up. Been a player in this league before at a young age. Been lost due to the success of Leicester. Is he too expensive to be back up though? 

I'm all for the club getting better players everywhere but is there too much too soon? 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Williams is a more than adequate back up. People willing to give Vyner a chance and not Williams is silly. Not as young as Zak but young for a CB. He played most games last year in a back 3 or at wingback. Not seen much of him in a back 4 tbf. 

That being said, Moore is a much better option as back up. Been a player in this league before at a young age. Been lost due to the success of Leicester. Is he too expensive to be back up though? 

I'm all for the club getting better players everywhere but is there too much too soon? 

It looks ever more likely the majority of the squad LJ inherited from SC are unlikely to be here by the start of next season.

Is that too much change too soon? 

Time will tell, but the clear signs are SL is determined to back LJ to really go for it this season, and that inevitably means being ruthless in replacing most of our L1 heroes.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It looks ever more likely the majority of the squad LJ inherited from SC are unlikely to be here by the start of next season.

Time will tell, but the clear signs are SL is determined to back LJ to really go for it this season, and that inevitably means being ruthless in replacing most of our L1 heroes.

Next season is a long way for now. I just think we should let the current squad gel a big until January. Can move 1 or 2 more out then. Followed by a few more next summer. These boys are with each other everyday. They're losing close mates. I know football is ruthless and a business but it could be too much too soon

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It was clear last season that we were woefully lacking in quality to be a serious force in this league 

with the total farce of last summers transfer activity, LJ has had time to assess what we need and who we don't. Those who stick around such as KS, JB and AF have the attributes and LJ is building a squad that we hope will challenge and contest the top 6 spots

i like what he has done so far and fully expect a lot more new faces coming in and old going out in the next few weeks

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Next season is a long way for now. I just think we should let the current squad gel a big until January. Can move 1 or 2 more out then. Followed by a few more next summer. These boys are with each other everyday. They're losing close mates. I know football is ruthless and a business but it could be too much too soon

Not going to get overly involved in that one Joe.

I get slaughtered (with not much support) if I ever bring up LJ's famous quote that he was 'wary of damaging the equilibrium of the squad' with too many changes.

TBF to LJ that may only have applied to not wanting to disrupt things too much while trying to keep City in the Championship.

Nevertheless, as you've brought it up, I AGREE WITH YOU there is the potential to 'dent the spirit' of the dressing room with too much change, too soon.;)

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not going to get overly involved in that one Joe.

I get slaughtered (with not much support) if I ever bring up LJ's famous quote that he 'wouldn't want to affect the equilibrium of the squad' with too many changes.

TBF to LJ that may only have applied to not wanting to disrupt things too much while trying to keep City in the Championship.

Nevertheless, as you've brought it up, I AGREE WITH YOU there is the potential to 'dent the spirits' of the dressing room with too much change, too soon.;)

I think 'potential' is the key word here.  To me it comes down to four important things:

1. How well LJ feels he knows the squad and is able to judge and manage how the players feel about any changes.

2. Whether the players who are coming in are positive influences on the dressing room and the morale.

3. How well LJ is communicating with the players he wants to move on. i.e making sure no player feels resentment at not being communicated to properly which could then upset others in the squad who get on well with them.

4. How well LJ is communicating with the players he wants to keep.  Do they feel reassured and confident that they're wanted and their futures aren't on the line.

As long as he's getting all this right, LJ can probably make the changes without causing problems in the squad.  But it has to be handled the right way. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think 'potential' is the key word here.  To me it comes down to four important things:

1. How well LJ feels he knows the squad and is able to judge and manage how the players feel about any changes.

2. Whether the players who are coming in are positive influences on the dressing room and the morale.

3. How well LJ is communicating with the players he wants to move on. i.e making sure no player feels resentment at not being communicated to properly which could then upset others in the squad who get on well with them.

4. How well LJ is communicating with the players he wants to keep.  Do they feel reassured and confident that they're wanted and their futures aren't on the line.

As long as he's getting all this right, LJ can probably make the changes without causing problems in the squad.  But it has to be handled the right way. 

Absolutely.

As fans it's hard to see past the excitement of all the new signings, and rumours of those still to come.

As manager LJ has to look at things in a far more in depth way. As well as being involved in making the signings he has to work to fit them in, on and off the pitch, finding the time to do all you have said above, and no doubt much more.

So much change in a short time presents an increased workload and huge challenge to the manager to foster and maintain squad harmony. There is justifiable concern as to whether he can genuinely find enough hours in the day for all the individual attention required so his squad prospers with so many newcomers needing to be settled in, and so many of the previously established squad wondering who's next to be offloaded.

It'll certainly be a good early indicator of LJ's man management skills and verbal stamina ( probably no need to worry on that score!) if he can achieve such a transition quickly and smoothly.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree potential is the key word but I think it gets more and more likely with each player that leaves. Agard and Ayling would've been a loss to the lads. Williams and Little and you could really start to see it effect them. Especially Flint as he's been the focal point of the defence and they'd all be gone bar Joe Bryan from the start of last season. And of course we are now more talented but it just seems too rushed if it happens. I don't expect to go up this year so no need to try and build a squad for that all this summer. 

Obviously this has come about on the back of Alan Nixions comments which lets face it is not always accurate but why on earth would we look to move anyone else on? We all agree another CB is needed as is another option upfront and it seems we will be doing just that. But bringing in a right sided CB only to sell a left sided one is madness unless he is being replaced immediately which is unlikely.

Our squad has been too small over the last 2/3 seasons and we've relied on loans to get us out of trouble. We can't do that this season. We will need 2 players for each position and with Vyner due to go out on loan keeping Williams, Little or anyone else is important during this window imo 

Archived