Jump to content
IGNORED

Derrick Williams Joined Blackburn (Official)


Bat Fastard

Recommended Posts

Obviously this has come about on the back of Alan Nixions comments which lets face it is not always accurate but why on earth would we look to move anyone else on? We all agree another CB is needed as is another option upfront and it seems we will be doing just that. But bringing in a right sided CB only to sell a left sided one is madness unless he is being replaced immediately which is unlikely.

Our squad has been too small over the last 2/3 seasons and we've relied on loans to get us out of trouble. We can't do that this season. We will need 2 players for each position and with Vyner due to go out on loan keeping Williams, Little or anyone else is important during this window imo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Don't rate him in the Championship, I think he has it in him to be a low end Championship player but IMO that's it. HOWEVER, what is funny is that Elliott Bennet left us to take a step 'up' at Blackburn, oh how much can change in 6 months.

I think he meant a step up in wages!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

People forgetting we have ekstrand training with us along with the sovning of Moore. Williams has outstayed his welcome with all respect. Not been a starter for a long time and has now been out moded. Get what money we can tbh

Outstayed his welcome? You don't half need a lesson in respect young man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

People forgetting we have ekstrand training with us along with the sovning of Moore. Williams has outstayed his welcome with all respect. Not been a starter for a long time and has now been out moded. Get what money we can tbh

Outstayed his welcome? I'm hoping that's a poor choice of words. 

Again, what is it with some fans who feel the need to disregard and disrespect a player as soon as he drops out the first team or is seen as a squad player.....we had it last night with comments about mark little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/08/2016 at 10:54, BRISTOL86 said:

 

Spot on. Nothing against Del on a personal level but as a club we've tolerated mediocrity for far too long. 

For the first time in a long long time we seem to be getting almost everything right off the pitch and that includes not getting sentimental about average players if an opportunity arises to replace them with better. 

If we are to make progress on the field then DW being our only backup centre back is not going to make that happen. 

The fact that Tammy already (at 18) looks a better player than Kodjia is a perfect demonstration of how big the gulf is between where we are and where we want to be. 

Spot on mate, the club has actually got the right people in behind the scenes and we are moving in a direction that is long overdue. I am not saying were going to get promoted this season but think we will see significant progress on the pitch in both playing style and quality and that can only come with a better calibre of player. If players do not reach the standards required and in this case DW is not a Championship quality defender then they need to be moved on to make room for those that are able to step up whether that's from within or via the transfer market. SL has tasked these people with building a squad that will challenge and hopefully get us to the Premier league with a view to developing talented young players with the addition of a few experienced quality ex premises players. The strategy is slowly coming together but we need to give it time but I think the way things have been done  by the club in the last 6 months shows that in the next few years we could be a force to be reckoned with in this division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always liked Williams, think he's a defender who was always willing to put his body in where it hurts.  Versatile too last season playing LCB in a two and a three, LB and LWB.  And young enough to mature into a very tidy Championship defender.  I think he will also get capped by Republic of Ireland at some point.

Off to Blackburn according to Nixon on a permie deal.  If he's gonna go, I'd prefer it was a loan, but hopefully we'll command a reasonable fee.

Does this mean we are taking a gamble on Ekstrand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Outstayed his welcome? I'm hoping that's a poor choice of words. 

Again, what is it with some fans who feel the need to disregard and disrespect a player as soon as he drops out the first team or is seen as a squad player.....we had it last night with comments about mark little.

Yeah got to agree....bullshit attitude. This is a player who played his part and gave us one of our most memorable seasons....ever

Williams is on his way. Was told in the summer he was surplus to requirements. He has already moved out of his flat 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15 August 2016 at 10:53, Fordy62 said:

I think you're right. A lot of us have loyalty to the league one winning team and there's no place for such loyalty if we really want to progress. 

I wonder how many of LJ's non signings he considers good enough. 

Yes I agree and it's a strange sort of loyalty in that we love them for what they achieved and did for us yet we wouldn't really want all of them still putting on the shirt.  

 

Or anymore of the fantastic Steve Cotterill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he's good cover but definately not a starter. Think he has potential. It doesn't matter though. The club, on paper, have gotten everything right. Been a hell of a summer and I've got no problem with anything they're doing. Hopefully we can get a good fee for him. If selling him and Ayling means paying for Moore then I'm all for it. Remember they still want space to have the young ones play. We wil have 4 CBs when Vyner is back. All except Flint can play some sort of fullback role. I think this will mean Little stays until at least January and once again could be the case that we can get a nice fee for Williams or that LJ rates what Little can give us. Little is our only half wing option who is right footed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think he's good cover but definately not a starter. Think he has potential. It doesn't matter though. The club, on paper, have gotten everything right. Been a hell of a summer and I've got no problem with anything they're doing. Hopefully we can get a good fee for him. If selling him and Ayling means paying for Moore then I'm all for it. Remember they still want space to have the young ones play. We wil have 4 CBs when Vyner is back. All except Flint can play some sort of fullback role. I think this will mean Little stays until at least January and once again could be the case that we can get a nice fee for Williams or that LJ rates what Little can give us. Little is our only half wing option who is right footed. 

I agree, though Little IMHO is not key in LJ plans, he was in the exit door a few weeks ago. Ideally I am sure Ayling would have remained, but he wanted to play more. (personally I am not convinced by Mathews but we all have different views) , it is more LJ has to keep him now. Vyner being injured has complicated it all too, as was the delay getting in a CB/RB player in and the injury to Smith (who LJ says can play RB) . That both Williams and Ayling go to Championship sides , for me rather makes the very disrespectful comments on here worse. Both are good players. We are reshaping the squad, its a process, and the type of football we play will be different. I wish Williams well as he was an excellent signing who gave the club a lot. I also feel we helped make him a player, as he was a young reserve and now will sign for a well established higher league club. It has worked for both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Outstayed his welcome? I'm hoping that's a poor choice of words. 

Again, what is it with some fans who feel the need to disregard and disrespect a player as soon as he drops out the first team or is seen as a squad player.....we had it last night with comments about mark little.

Totally agree . These players got us to the championship. These players are champions. They have a winning mentality. Many players win nothing through out there career so a club signing Ayling or williams are getting a player who have won a title . I wish Williams all the best if he leaves as any of our league 1 winning side. And I would give them the ovation they deserve on there return 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If true, firstly I would like to agree with those who have wished Derrick all the best, he has been a honest, committed, good player for us.

Secondly it does show the real value of quality recruitment, the signing of hungry, young Prem reserve players like him has paid dividends, both financially and for the first team and as we are showing with the U21 signings, is definitely part of the right way to go.

Finally I can only assume that we have either had a long enough look at Ekstrand in training over the last week, or otherwise have yet another addition lined up, to believe we can cover this loss, as Taylor Moore at 19 with just a handful of Ligue 2 games under his belt and Zak Vyner, with even less first team experience than that, are insufficient options to partner the also inexperienced Hordur once the transfer window closes next week to potentially deal with what would be our nightmare scenario, the long term absence of Aden Flint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well you are amazed then 

Yep, very surprised if he goes to a Championship club, and if City are getting anything like the 700k mooted above then I'm equally surprised at that, and it would be a fantastic deal for us.

I've said all along DW is not good enough to play for City at this level - and it very much looks like LJ agrees - so I'm quite happy if he's on his way.

That Blackburn think he's good enough for them may say more about Blackburn than the player.

That said Derrick is one of our championship winners, is obviously a nice guy, and has always done his best for City.

Just not up to it now we've progressed as a club, but the very best of luck to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, very surprised if he goes to a Championship club, and if City are getting anything like the 700k mooted above then I'm equally surprised at that, and it would be a fantastic deal for us.

I've said all along DW is not good enough to play for City at this level - and it very much looks like LJ agrees - so I'm quite happy if he's on his way.

That Blackburn think he's good enough for them may say more about Blackburn than the player.

That said Derrick is one of our championship winners, is obviously a nice guy, and has always done his best for City.

Just not up to it now we've progressed as a club, but the very best of luck to him.

It's been reported MK paid over £1m for Agard. Once the window closes I believe Mark Ashton is off to sell some ice to the Eskimos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a buy this represents another young player which we picked up for nothing, had good benefit in league 1 as he was a good performer, now we are going to make a profit.

I really do like the way the club is being run now, almost complete opposite to the last time we were in this league.

Good luck Derrick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If true, firstly I would like to agree with those who have wished Derrick all the best, he has been a honest, committed, good player for us.

Secondly it does show the real value of quality recruitment, the signing of hungry, young Prem reserve players like him has paid dividends, both financially and for the first team and as we are showing with the U21 signings, is definitely part of the right way to go.

Finally I can only assume that we have either had a long enough look at Ekstrand in training over the last week, or otherwise have yet another addition lined up, to believe we can cover this loss, as Taylor Moore at 19 with just a handful of Ligue 2 games under his belt and Zak Vyner, with even less first team experience than that, are insufficient options to partner the also inexperienced Hordur once the transfer window closes next week to potentially deal with what would be our nightmare scenario, the long term absence of Aden Flint.

Spot on, we need a bit of experienced cover, and if Ekstand is still training with us (assume he is), I expect an announcement of one out, one in today.  If Moore's international clearance isn't through, then we wouldn't have any defenders in the bench....unless Bryan is back.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

As a buy this represents another young player which we picked up for nothing, had good benefit in league 1 as he was a good performer, now we are going to make a profit.

I really do like the way the club is being run now, almost complete opposite to the last time we were in this league.

Good luck Derrick.

Exactly, his contract was supposed to have ran out this summer, but didn't it get extended some point last season.  Again this shows good business sense - he won't be on huge wages and gives us a chance to recoup a fee.  Which it looks like we will.  Blackburn are looking a bit desperate, both position in the table and DCs, especially with Dufft looking close to leaving.  They did bring in Greer (would've been ideal cover for us), but lost Hanley (who I was really impressed by in our home game last season) and Kilgallon, so are short in numbers.  I'm not sure we can hold them to ransom, but we hold the aces in this deal, and I see no reason why, in this inflated market, we shouldn't get £500k plus.  That's better than letting him go on a free, which would've happened had we not extended his contract last year.

Good luck Derrick....let's not forget he was the Supporters YPOTY in 13/14, his first season in first team action.  He's been a decent servant to City.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decent player who has served his purpose (very well), but has not outstayed his welcome. 

He will be welcome back any time and I'd expect him to get a warm reception whenever he returns (e.g. October, with Blackburn).

I don't expect him to go on to big things, but reckon he'll have a steady career at this level, or league 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I agree, though Little IMHO is not key in LJ plans, he was in the exit door a few weeks ago. Ideally I am sure Ayling would have remained, but he wanted to play more. (personally I am not convinced by Mathews but we all have different views) , it is more LJ has to keep him now. Vyner being injured has complicated it all too, as was the delay getting in a CB/RB player in and the injury to Smith (who LJ says can play RB) . That both Williams and Ayling go to Championship sides , for me rather makes the very disrespectful comments on here worse. Both are good players. We are reshaping the squad, its a process, and the type of football we play will be different. I wish Williams well as he was an excellent signing who gave the club a lot. I also feel we helped make him a player, as he was a young reserve and now will sign for a well established higher league club. It has worked for both. 

I agree with all of that. Only mention little as he's our only right sided player at the moment for maybe an advanced position say wing back or right sided midfielder. Especially with Matthews injury. I don't see a long term future for little here but think he's OK as backup for this year. This isn't a finished squad and won't be until next summer at the earliest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on, we need a bit of experienced cover, and if Ekstand is still training with us (assume he is), I expect an announcement of one out, one in today.  If Moore's international clearance isn't through, then we wouldn't have any defenders in the bench....unless Bryan is back.

Exactly, his contract was supposed to have ran out this summer, but didn't it get extended some point last season.  Again this shows good business sense - he won't be on huge wages and gives us a chance to recoup a fee.  Which it looks like we will.  Blackburn are looking a bit desperate, both position in the table and DCs, especially with Dufft looking close to leaving.  They did bring in Greer (would've been ideal cover for us), but lost Hanley (who I was really impressed by in our home game last season) and Kilgallon, so are short in numbers.  I'm not sure we can hold them to ransom, but we hold the aces in this deal, and I see no reason why, in this inflated market, we shouldn't get £500k plus.  That's better than letting him go on a free, which would've happened had we not extended his contract last year.

Good luck Derrick....let's not forget he was the Supporters YPOTY in 13/14, his first season in first team action.  He's been a decent servant to City.

Why would Moore need international clearance? He's English. Born in England and I'm assuming has an English passport 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...