IGNORED

Derrick Williams Joined Blackburn (Official)

Bat Fastard

On 15/08/2016 at 10:54, BRISTOL86 said:

Spot on. Nothing against Del on a personal level but as a club we've tolerated mediocrity for far too long. 

For the first time in a long long time we seem to be getting almost everything right off the pitch and that includes not getting sentimental about average players if an opportunity arises to replace them with better. 

If we are to make progress on the field then DW being our only backup centre back is not going to make that happen. 

The fact that Tammy already (at 18) looks a better player than Kodjia is a perfect demonstration of how big the gulf is between where we are and where we want to be. 

I think mediocrity is a bit unfair. Del is a fantastic player. I really rate him and find it baffling they've released him. We need back-up. Mind you, if he wanted regular football, you can't blame him.

Abraham better than Kodjia? Not sure about that yet.

Oops! What I was saying was I have just been listening to DW's first interview on Blackburn Rover's website, and I've never seen such an unconvincing performance. He just doesn't sound at all like he really wants to be there at all, despite the words coming out of his mouth, and just looks totally shocked to suddenly be transported to deepest Lancashire. Anybody else taken a look who could back me up on this?

33 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Oops! What I was saying was I have just been listening to DW's first interview on Blackburn Rover's website, and I've never seen such an unconvincing performance. He just doesn't sound at all like he really wants to be there at all, despite the words coming out of his mouth, and just looks totally shocked to suddenly be transported to deepest Lancashire. Anybody else taken a look who could back me up on this?

Agree.  Seemed very subdued despite being 'buzzing'.  Said that LJ didn't give him a chance, which given we losing at the bottom when Del was playing and then we changed personell and the we weren't may seem fair enough.  (Not blaming Del for our failure in the first half of the season).

Must be quite a weird life being a pro footballer.  One minute in Bristol hanging out with really good mates in your team, then at a different of the country starting all over again and not much real say in your destination.

Good luck Derek.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, could be.  Would serve the Venkys right.

Maybe it could and maybe it would, but there is little retort; a championship club has paid money to take one player from another to play in their side; a championship manager no less who has won promotion from this leagure.

Personally I see the Williams move and Ayling's move as a big FU to those who say neither are up to scratch and I expect ML and LF to do similar in that I think both would be covetable to championship sides. 

If the Venys and bmBkacburn get relegated that by no means is the fate befitting DW alone. 

In many ways sorry to see him leave, but this is the direction the club is moving. We have signed a number of promising youngsters, and it looks like LJ will have faith in them, and use them as part of the first team squad, which means a smaller squad of experienced pros. There may be occasional short term glitches, but definitely the right way to move the club forward.

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think mediocrity is a bit unfair. Del is a fantastic player. I really rate him and find it baffling they've released him. We need back-up. Mind you, if he wanted regular football, you can't blame him.

Will agree to disagree there - in fact i think you even contradicted yourself, 'fantastic' players don't stay at clubs like ours as backup. I wish him the very best but he was nothing more than a solid League One player for us. He's looked uncomfortable at this level so far IMO.

36 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

I'm hearing that we sold him for £750K, to me that doesn't seem like enough for a player with his potential. Best of luck anyway Derek, thanks for all the memories.

That's way more than he's worth!! Good servant but hopeless on the ball and just a decent defender but we now have better players so no room for him.

I'm shocked we got anything like that for him!

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think this is the policy that is right and the way forward for the club , if we get an offer for a player that is acceptable to the club then we cash in . Equally we must not been seen as a club who block player's careers but one that enhances their progress and prospects .

Southampton supporters must have been upset with the sales of Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain but where are the Saints now ? In Premier League heaven .

14 minutes ago, nickolas said:

That's way more than he's worth!! Good servant but hopeless on the ball and just a decent defender but we now have better players so no room for him.

I'm shocked we got anything like that for him!

I bet we have a 'sell on ' clause as well now we have Mark ' Pitbull ' Ashton in charge .

Everything that Lee and Mark Ashton have been doing and saying is about development and the players coming through. We have cover in that position, Derek is a sound player but not so critical to the team and BCFC just made another healthy return on their investment for a guy who played his first ever League game 2 years ago. Seems an excellent move to me for everyone concerned.

The plain fact is that everyone (so far) coming in is a lot more exciting with better pedigree/potential than those that are leaving.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:37, City169 said:

Nothing has been said about needing to sell in order to buy. The comments made by people ITK suggest we will be breaking our record transfer fee again this summer, that won't be offset by 700k or so (realistic fee) we'd get for Williams.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:17, City169 said:

Williams is a far better player than you're giving him credit for. His only appearances were when the entire back line looked awful, apart from Huddersfield at home, where he was brilliant.

Its no coincidence he won young player of the year in 2013/14 despite JET being in that category and scoring 20 odd goals, Williams has a bright future ahead of him,  and I'm pretty sure a team like Blackburn would be happy to have him join.

:clapping:

Nearest I could do to giving myself a pat on the back.

Archived