IGNORED

Matthews

Rob k

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

All of this makes the departure of Ayling even more bizarre.

Unless Lansdown wanted him out because of Cheltenham.

Think you might be right about that. Ayling can play centre back, right back and even cover defensive mid. Doesn't make sense to get rid unless Leeds' offer was hugely in excess of his worth. Can't imagine he was on massive wages either.

I reckon his card has been marked since Cheltenham.

Mathews is clearly a good player when fit, maybe he took his eye off the ball in pre season knowing he wasn't wanted at Sunderland . I'm pretty sure City would've known where he was in his fitness. Quite funny reading the comments on Mathews fitness when our tailisman Tomlin clearly is overweight. 

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We really do look boogered at right back. As a fellow poster asked, is Ekstrand able to sit in that position? Notwithstanding he may take a while to get fit and impress.

Ekstrand has had no serious pre season (just like Matthews) and is a 6ft 2 CB, so playing him there would be a ridiculous decision.

If LJ thinks that Little isn't good enough he needs a new face in at RB by next Saturday, as no matter what Little can play up at Scunny in midweek.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Ekstrand has had no serious pre season (just like Matthews) and is a 6ft 2 CB, so playing him there would be a ridiculous decision.

If LJ thinks that Little isn't good enough he needs a new face in at RB by next Saturday, as no matter what Little can play up at Scunny in midweek.

Rafa play Kieran Clark, a centre back at full back today. Might be the only option we might have.

11 minutes ago, shelts said:

Mathews is clearly a good player when fit, maybe he took his eye off the ball in pre season knowing he wasn't wanted at Sunderland . I'm pretty sure City would've known where he was in his fitness. Quite funny reading the comments on Mathews fitness when our tailisman Tomlin clearly is overweight. 

You can be overweight but fit, look at some heavyweight boxers for example. At right back you have to be very fit, as much as any position. 

Tomlin is no endurance athlete, but that's not why he's in the side.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You can be overweight but fit, look at some heavyweight boxers for example. At right back you have to be very fit, as much as any position. 

Tomlin is no endurance athlete, but that's not why he's in the side.

I agree you can be fat and fit. This could well be the reason why Tomlin plays for us and not in the Premiership. His ability is as good as I have seen in my time watching City. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

A professional footballer has to keep semi fit during the summer, if hes come back really out of shape then it's unprofessional - I might be reading to much in to it, as said its just the impression I got from the interview 

Agreed, he looks like he has done nothing but eat pies since he left us

sod not having a preseason , you can still stay in shape 

34 minutes ago, shelts said:

I doubt very much that Tomlin is 'overweight'.....he does not have an athletic build I grant you.  At Championship level you wouldn't get away with it.  He might not be a Joe Bryan physique-wise, he's a bit barrel chested which gives the impression of carrying a bit.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I doubt very much that Tomlin is 'overweight'.....he does not have an athletic build I grant you.  At Championship level you wouldn't get away with it.  He might not be a Joe Bryan physique-wise, he's a bit barrel chested which gives the impression of carrying a bit.

If he was fitter he would be a regular Premiership performer. 

It could well be my ageing eyes from the top of the Dolman playing tricks!!!

1 minute ago, shelts said:

If he was fitter he would be a regular Premiership performer. 

It could well be my ageing eyes from the top of the Dolman playing tricks!!!

Ha ha.  I'm not old enough to really remember him, but he's a modern day Frannie Lee build from the Match of The 70s I've seen on tv.

You're right he might be if he was seriously fit.  Gazza was not 'ripped', but that bit he carried above the waistline gave him that strength to go past people.  He was surprisngly fit, ran for England-literally!

Didnt Tomlin say that at Bournemouth, his running distance per game was in the top-3?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha ha.  I'm not old enough to really remember him, but he's a modern day Frannie Lee build from the Match of The 70s I've seen on tv.

You're right he might be if he was seriously fit.  Gazza was not 'ripped', but that bit he carried above the waistline gave him that strength to go past people.  He was surprisngly fit, ran for England-literally!

Didnt Tomlin say that at Bournemouth, his running distance per game was in the top-3?

Franny was proper top half heavy for sure. 1990 Gazza was totally fit...it didn't last though . I love Tomlins ability. Thought he was good today. If Tomlin Z he was in the top three distance runners on the South coast I believe him!

I'm sure Mathews did some pre season training, but if he was not fully involved in the Sunderland first team squad, he couldn't be really fit. Part of the problem with today's injury may lie with Lee Johnson. He must have known Mathews wasn't fully fit, yet still selected him. If you're not fit, playing  in a friendly match  against Hengrove is one thing, but against Newcastle is madness. An unfit player having to make a sudden sprint against players of Newcastle's calibre is likely to pull a muscle / tear a hamstring etc  

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I'm sure Mathews did some pre season training, but if he was not fully involved in the Sunderland first team squad, he couldn't be really fit. Part of the problem with today's injury may lie with Lee Johnson. He must have known Mathews wasn't fully fit, yet still selected him. If you're not fit, playing  in a friendly match  against Hengrove is one thing, but against Newcastle is madness. An unfit player having to make a sudden sprint against players of Newcastle's calibre is likely to pull a muscle / tear a hamstring etc  

True, but I'd argue most in here were advocating/hoping Matthews would start, and pleased to see him there.

End of the day, the lad isn't available now for a while, and it seems many have also decided that due to Little not maybe being quite good enough at this level, he'll be getting pelters until he's replaced.

And I think it is pretty clear he will be, and soon.  Not an ideal situation to be in, but am sure we'll make do.

Am honestly more worried about our seeming lack of cutting edge - Abraham has started well, but it would be madness to expect him to be consistently scoring goals in his first season.  

We need to start scoring or at least threatening the opposition goal more.

2 hours ago, stogursey red said:

How can he expect a player who had no preseason to be fit, he looked a mile off the pace of the game right from the outset,

Maybe he is more mad at him self for rushing him back,

Matthews was never going to play for his parent club again & I believe he was training with the U21's there.

In seeking a new club & with all that uncertainty, its in his interest to stay fit which he obviously didn't. I suspect that he was trying to get his agent to engineer a move to a better club which hasn't worked out. I can understand LJ's frustrations especially with Ayling gone & Vyner injured.

Makes you think that Ayling's transfer was not an LJ decision.

There is a flying right winger (name begins with A) who plays for Chesterfield, and is meant to be a great prospect as well as being able to help defend.  He could be good stop,gap cover and move to the right wing (and support the right back) - cash from sale of freeman could cover the costs and make a profit!

9 hours ago, Swede said:

Matthews was never going to play for his parent club again & I believe he was training with the U21's there.

In seeking a new club & with all that uncertainty, its in his interest to stay fit which he obviously didn't. I suspect that he was trying to get his agent to engineer a move to a better club which hasn't worked out. I can understand LJ's frustrations especially with Ayling gone & Vyner injured.

Makes you think that Ayling's transfer was not an LJ decision.

It may be that LJ was required to recoup some of the money spent, hence the sale of Ayling and Agard. With the Bolasie money as well we have gone a long way to doing that. In an ideal world we would have moved Little out and kept Ayling but that would not have raised the same money.

I rather assumed when the 2 players left that we had signings lined up but all LJ can say now is that we have irons in the fire. So there is a risk we will have no decent right back, no cover for Flint and Wilbs as the only spare striker option until January. A couple of injuries and we are in trouble. Fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks then.

Now that it seems likely he is out until November at least there seems no doubt we will bring in a replacement.

Matthews was someone I had expected us to look to bring in permanently at some stage, but following LJ's comments and us presumably signing a permanent RB this seems highly improbable.

Well he said that we were looking at players already - which suggest he had Matthews, Little and was bringing in one other. So keeping Ayling would have been pointless unless he could foresee Matthews tearing his Hamstring in his fist start. We had a decent offer for Ayling, he wanted to go, and he had no real part of LJ's plans so it was the right decision for him to go. Hopefully we will see a decent RB arrive soon... maybe Tammy might like some friendly company from Chelski down here :fingerscrossed:

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

At least we ought to be able to attract someone half decent as we can promise them they`ll be first choice until at least Christmas.

It will be interesting to see if Lee can re-construct Matthews attitude to his profession - if not, I expect him to lose patience and another right back will be acquired.  It is not just the attitude to fitness, but it is the example it sets to the younger players.  Lee has to be tough here.

Archived