IGNORED

Taylor Moore

Hazelboy

3 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Also...is it just me or does he sound and come across....a bit posh (nothing wrong with that)

Speaking from experience, it's just the lack of a regionalised accent. There are very few references to what sounding Cockney or Geordie or Bristolian is like, when you grow up overseas. You just get the textbook or TV version.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His player interview is worth a watch. Very articulate and clearly very intelligent. I've noticed this in particularly the young first team players LJ has bought in this summer, they all seem intelligent; particularly Magnusson, O'Dowda and now Moore. Add Bryan to that list and we've got a very intelligent core of players.

Yeah but you dont neet to be clever to hit top bins, just ask lee tomlin 

12 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Perfect on field translator for Kodjia, having someone available at nearly all times who is fluent in both languages will definitely help.

Added Bonus

Also...is it just me or does he sound and come across....a bit posh (nothing wrong with that)

No worries

Within a few short weeks, as he plays a killer pass out of defence to Kodjia - he'll say " yur tiz" and Jimmy will score and say " Cheers me babber".

I haven't spoken on this, but Moore and O'Dowda I am quite excited for. If LJ can work his player management skills just right, I think we'll have two cracking players for not only this league but when we go up in the next couple years. This year should be about bonding and learning the game. Next year I think we could dominate. 

this is the most exciting signing, U19 capt, VERY highly thought of and he's come to us , rather than a prem club, where he can play in 1st team rather than the U23's in prem reserve league. Potential is an over used word BUT the sky's the limit with this lad. £1.5m could be a total bargain. Flint doesn't leave IMO, you need a bit of steel in defence as well ball players.

6 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Has anyone an idea whether he's likely to play first team football or if heading to the U21's or development squad? Seems incredibly young for a first team player, but as the years go by, doesn't everyone?

he's a similar age to Tammy…

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true, but it's a very good attribute to have. I'd wager Tomlin would've made more of his talent if he was more intelligent.

Good topic for debate this.

Lee Johnson is very much of the new breed of 'coaches.' Wants to learn more, wants to get tips from coaching/managing from outside of football, and he clearly likes to see similar attributes in his players. Been mentioned on here dozens of times about his "18 year old" comment on Kodjia. 

If you have raw talent, you'll go a long way, but it does require some level of intelligence (be it footballing intelligence) to be able to think 2, 3, 4 passes ahead. Or to learn quickly from your mistakes. It's what concerns me most about Kodjia. He doesn't seem to have learned much, goals aside. For me, Freeman falls right in this category. Playing the same way over and over again. Being able to adapt to different positions or formations is a huge plus. Hence why Johnson rates Bryan so much.

Other countries also have a far more holistic view to football. Although we've certainly caught up. People like Wenger have transformed our thinking. Insisting on young players getting an education, importance of eating well etc. 

It's pretty obvious now what Mark Ashton means when he spoke about finding players with the right DNA. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Has anyone an idea whether he's likely to play first team football or if heading to the U21's or development squad? Seems incredibly young for a first team player, but as the years go by, doesn't everyone?

We haven't got a settled side yet but my guess is he will be a big part of it in the coming weeks/months/years.

13 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Lee Johnson is very much of the new breed of 'coaches.' Wants to learn more, wants to get tips from coaching/managing from outside of football, and he clearly likes to see similar attributes in his players. Been mentioned on here dozens of times about his "18 year old" comment on Kodjia. 

If you have raw talent, you'll go a long way, but it does require some level of intelligence (be it footballing intelligence) to be able to think 2, 3, 4 passes ahead. Or to learn quickly from your mistakes. It's what concerns me most about Kodjia. He doesn't seem to have learned much, goals aside. For me, Freeman falls right in this category. Playing the same way over and over again. Being able to adapt to different positions or formations is a huge plus. Hence why Johnson rates Bryan so much.

Other countries also have a far more holistic view to football. Although we've certainly caught up. People like Wenger have transformed our thinking. Insisting on young players getting an education, importance of eating well etc. 

It's pretty obvious now what Mark Ashton means when he spoke about finding players with the right DNA. 

I hope we're getting there - this is an interesting read on the subject..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/may/05/british-football-scared-of-brains

I'm not so sure we're there just yet though, look at this.. 

:facepalm:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/harry-kanes-comments-brexit-compared-giorgio-chiellinis-laughable/

If you think back, SO'D says similar things to LJ; he talked at great length about players making the right 'decisions' on a football pitch. LJ says similar, lots of coaches do. It makes complete sense of course, but I guess it's twofold. Firstly it's about identifying the players who have the capability to make the right decisions, and then it's coaching players to make the right decisions. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true, but it's a very good attribute to have. I'd wager Tomlin would've made more of his talent if he was more intelligent.

I don't know if it's intelligence that's the problem - not talking about LT, I've got no idea about his IQ - but generally speaking with footballers. Academic intelligence has naff all to do with ability in any field outside academia, especially the football field - think Gazza, Rooney. And the ones who foul up their lives and waste their talent, that's down to lack of common sense not GCSEs - and the obscene amounts of money they get chucked at them - and the vacuous bling culture they find themselves living in. Plenty of "bright" people foul up badly. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope we're getting there - this is an interesting read on the subject..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/may/05/british-football-scared-of-brains

I'm not so sure we're there just yet though, look at this.. 

:facepalm:http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/harry-kanes-comments-brexit-compared-giorgio-chiellinis-laughable/

If you think back, SO'D says similar things to LJ; he talked at great length about players making the right 'decisions' on a football pitch. LJ says similar, lots of coaches do. It makes complete sense of course, but I guess it's twofold. Firstly it's about identifying the players who have the capability to make the right decisions, and then it's coaching players to make the right decisions. 

All true. Will read those links in a mo, thanks. Actually, I do remember Kane vs. Chiellinis's Brexit comments. Yep.Sums it up.

Having a brain doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great player, but I think it helps if you're someone who wants to develop. Or for a player not blessed with natural talent, wanting and being willing to learn can make a bit of difference.

If Johnson can coax out the best in this young crop, we're going to be some team in a couple of years, and he'll have become a great manager. 

And please: no return to 3-5-2. Unless it's for the odd game here or there. Can't see it anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Top post, have yourself a fat cigar.

I liked all the DNA talk and thought there was more to it than usual BS. The club is forging an identity for itself which does seem to be starting to be recognised within the game.  We as fans are becoming less emotional about possibly losing players as we trust in the direction the club is taking.  As other have said, all the players coming in seem to be blessed with intelligence and a great attitude.

We are working towards a model where players and managers are no longer indispensable, but where continuity in coaching, player development, analysis, sport science and recruitment is key.  Where the sum of the whole is more than the parts, so we can sell a player and the wheels don't fall off.  We still need to get the team really clicking now and move on.

Fantastic time to be a City fan.

8 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

I don't know if it's intelligence that's the problem - not talking about LT, I've got no idea about his IQ - but generally speaking with footballers. Academic intelligence has naff all to do with ability in any field outside academia, especially the football field - think Gazza, Rooney. And the ones who foul up their lives and waste their talent, that's down to lack of common sense not GCSEs - and the obscene amounts of money they get chucked at them - and the vacuous bling culture they find themselves living in. Plenty of "bright" people foul up badly. 

Not necessarily academic intelligence, wouldn't say it has 'naff all' to do with ability outside of academia either. Academia and examinations have been designed as a way to measure perceived intelligence. Talent is great, but it'll only get you so far. Arguably Rooney could've made more of his talent and so could Gascoigne. They've both got lots of ability, but Rooney hasn't had the career we were hoping he'd have after Euro 2004.

I'm not talking GCSE's either, they're a basic qualification that you'd hope most people have. More young players should be trying to do A-Levels and gain skills whilst they're 17-18. 

Intelligence and common sense generally go hand in hand, obviously there's exceptions. My comment about Tomlin was that he's clearly a very able player - probably has Premier League ability - but if he had more intelligence he might have made better decisions to enable him to realise that ability. All theoretical, but I believe it's true.

If you had twins, same physical attributes and same footballing ability - both in Man Utd academy. One was incredibly intelligent and the other very stupid - I know who I'd back to have the better career. 

All true. Will read those links in a mo, thanks. Actually, I do remember Kane vs. Chiellinis's Brexit comments. Yep.Sums it up.

Obviously it's not a rule to be applied to all English players, but it did make him sound very stupid. Although Chiellini is a very intelligent man anyway.

Having a brain doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great player, but I think it helps if you're someone who wants to develop. Or for a player not blessed with natural talent, wanting and being willing to learn can make a bit of difference.

Agree, Lee Johnson is a good example. A solid player, not the most gifted. Devoted his spare time to buying property and going on coaching classes rather than spending his money on suped' up cars from Marlon Harewood or popping bottles with Wayne Lineker in Ocean Beach. As a result, he's a very wealthy man with a good coaching career ahead of him. 

Hard work is the most important attribute though in my opinion. Gary Neville's personal experiences of being - in his words - "the least gifted" of that English cohort at United spurred him on to try and work even harder.

If Johnson can coax out the best in this young crop, we're going to be some team in a couple of years, and he'll have become a great manager. 

And please: no return to 3-5-2. Unless it's for the odd game here or there. Can't see it anyway. 

Agree. Exciting times ahead I hope. 

9 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Top post, have yourself a fat cigar.

I liked all the DNA talk and thought there was more to it than usual BS. The club is forging an identity for itself which does seem to be starting to be recognised within the game. 

Fantastic time to be a City fan.

I think this hit the nail on the head. 

Gone, seems to be, the myth of being a footballing backwater. 

Now we are seen as a good club, going in the right direction, with good people on board and a place that players (even agents) will want to be involved with. 

We are SO much better set up than we were only 2 years ago. 

It most certainly is an impressive time to be a City fan and I for one can't wait to see who this last new forward signing might be (IF we are able to tie up the right deal deal by next Wednesday) I genuinely believe that we could pretty much attract any player we want here (within obvious reason) 

Why wouldn't targets want to come here? When have we ever been able to say that before?!

Well done and thank you to all involved in the direction the club is heading in!

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

ePerfect on field translator for Kodjia, having someone available at nearly all times who is fluent in both languages will definitely help.

Added Bonus

Don't mix 'Posh' up with plain and simply 'Educated', and able to speak our language properly fella ;-) Sounds perfectly normal to me, how we as English people should speak imo. Our language is becoming too Americanised for my liking ;-)

Quality signing imo.

We are establishing a squad that is versatile in various positions...which can only be a good thing.

As for playing 352...I think we have to look way beyond seeing how we played before, especially under SC.

As Rafa said before the Newcastle game, Bristol City will be a hard game, because we are able to adapt and change formation frequently.

I love this about LJ and the squad we are putting together.

You have to be intelligent to understand the different variants in formations, and able to adapt instantly during a game.

It's such an advantage to have...although normal in many countries abroad. Just shows how backward we have been for years.

It makes so much harder for opposition teams to set up against us.

Where as in the past, like with SC...Championship clubs knew we played 352 and very rarely moved from it. Even managers mentioned this in interviews.

Now we have a massive advantage.

The momentum keeps going forward...exciting times ahead.

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

Perfect on field translator for Kodjia, having someone available at nearly all times who is fluent in both languages will definitely help.

Added Bonus

i'm all for a few players with intelligence on the pitch - TBH Joe Bryan is another who has been through a decent school and comes from an 'upper middle class' home.

hopefully it will facilitate better communications with Kodjia (as people have mentioned)

although young, he will have a much more European grounding in the way he plays too

A vey impressive signing. Can't think when we last signed such a promising young player.

All credit to the management for getting this over the line...he comes from Lens, a club with its own impressive pedigree and - having watched England play there back in the summer - a decent stadium...

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't mix 'Posh' up with plain and simply 'Educated', and able to speak our language properly fella ;-) Sounds perfectly normal to me, how we as English people should speak imo. Our language is becoming too Americanised for my liking ;-)

Quality signing imo.

We are establishing a squad that is versatile in various positions...which can only be a good thing.

As for playing 352...I think we have to look way beyond seeing how we played before, especially under SC.

As Rafa said before the Newcastle game, Bristol City will be a hard game, because we are able to adapt and change formation frequently.

I love this about LJ and the squad we are putting together.

You have to be intelligent to understand the different variants in formations, and able to adapt instantly during a game.

It's such an advantage to have...although normal in many countries abroad. Just shows how backward we have been for years.

It makes so much harder for opposition teams to set up against us.

Where as in the past, like with SC...Championship clubs knew we played 352 and very rarely moved from it. Even managers mentioned this in interviews.

Now we have a massive advantage.

The momentum keeps going forward...exciting times ahead.

I noticed the change to 3-5-2 against Newcastle, but it was to my (amateur) eyes a different version than under Cotterill, with the 5 all playing in midfield rather than wing backs. And to me it seemed Magnusson and Little we're playing left/right back respectively, moving narrower when needed to support Flint. 

Would you agree with that?

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

I noticed the change to 3-5-2 against Newcastle, but it was to my (amateur) eyes a different version than under Cotterill, with the 5 all playing in midfield rather than wing backs. And to me it seemed Magnusson and Little we're playing left/right back respectively, moving narrower when needed to support Flint. 

Would you agree with that?

To a degree I would...but it was late on, and we were pushing for an equaliser. Newcastle were sat back and allowing us onto them. I think it would have been different if Newcastle were on the offensive.

We change very often during a game. Tomlin seems to have a lot of say in the matter, depending whether he want to play in the middle, deeper, or out wider.

It's nice to see.

Archived