IGNORED

Bristol Metro bus (Merged)

Pickle Rick

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wouldn't surprise me- I remember they stopped doing singles for a while, I think I remember anyway.

All of waht you say rings true- I remember getting a bus to my 2nd job a few months back and for successive weeks it wasn't a question of whether the bus would be late, more like how late. 17  minutes I think it was.

Either it was 17 minutes late, or it wasn't?

If you are going to court with this you need to be 'more defined in your thinking'.

Their brief is going to rip you to shreds unless you buck-up your ideas.

tfj

21 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Either it was 17 minutes late, or it wasn't?

If you are going to court with this you need to be 'more defined in your thinking'.

Their brief is going to rip you to shreds unless you buck-up your ideas.

tfj

Had I kept the bus ticket, I would have known exactly.

As it was, I didn't- because who keeps old bus tickets??

Still it was most certainly late, and in that ballpark.

Being from elsewhere, this looks like it could be quite handy. 

Assume from that map there's a stop near the Ship&Castle site. So a direct, fast link from Temple Meads to AG. Sounds a plan for when the boat isn't available.

Knowing Bristol though they probably won't operate it at weekends and, in any event, they'll prohibit football fans from using it. If only they could build a 'park and ride' somewhere around AG eh. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

f7ab20a5-7c8d-48e1-a351-a7be1a2568ee.jpg

f3bbe77f-bb87-49ac-9a11-3caa00d21201.jpg

2df7b84c-7c18-4368-a75d-723ea9d16870.jpg

Some years back, our pre-match pub used to be The Pump House, requiring a walk over the grass knoll, past the book depository and down the railway lines: sad to see another part of my City past flushed down the shitter. (that said, never understood why we picked the Pump House in the first place: it was inconvenient for all of us)

3 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Being from elsewhere, this looks like it could be quite handy. 

Assume from that map there's a stop near the Ship&Castle site. So a direct, fast link from Temple Meads to AG. Sounds a plan for when the boat isn't available.

Knowing Bristol though they probably won't operate it at weekends and, in any event, they'll prohibit football fans from using it. If only they could build a 'park and ride' somewhere around AG eh. 

There's a stop at the top (north) of Ashton park too, handy for Rising Sun/North Street.

On 21/06/2017 at 14:34, phantom said:

f7ab20a5-7c8d-48e1-a351-a7be1a2568ee.jpg

f3bbe77f-bb87-49ac-9a11-3caa00d21201.jpg

2df7b84c-7c18-4368-a75d-723ea9d16870.jpg

How, FFS, is the metro bus driver supposed to get around the s-bend in the top picture asleep??

******* bad design.

We need safety-passive systems built in.

I demand an enquiry.

:ranting:

tfj

• Admin

aadccfa1-e292-44fe-bfed-fe656bb289cc.jpg

Bristol Community Transport (BCT) have been unveiled as the operator of our longest Metrobus route. They will run our m1 route which connects south Bristol, the city centre and the University of the West of England with Cribbs Causeway.

BCT will be operating the route under contract to First West of England. They are creating 60 new driver and support jobs at their Bedminster depot and have invested £7 million in a fleet of 21 biogas buses for the m1 route. The buses are carbon neutral and will run on gas generated from food waste. BCT will also be reinvesting all profits back into community projects.

This means the operators for the first three Metrobus routes have all been announced. The m2 and m3 routes will be operated directly by First West of England.

Seems decent for getting into town, but not much else. Emersons Green to Aztec West for example, I envisage would still be a hefty journey time.

I appreciate the sentiment behind getting people cycling and using public transport, but in our city with some of our roads are too narrow and people feel generally unsafe cycling. People will use public transport when it is cheap, fast, and it works. For all of the criticisms, the tube in London for the most part satisfies that. I'm not sure that this will.

I drove along part of the M2 route a few days ago and the traffic along Cumberland Rd was horrendous and that's part of the metrobus 2 route.

Cant see it making any difference whatsoever. It'll turn out to be a very expensive white elephant.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I drove along part of the M2 route a few days ago and the traffic along Cumberland Rd was horrendous and that's part of the metrobus 2 route.

Cant see it making any difference whatsoever. It'll turn out to be a very expensive white elephant.

It’s exactly why they should have invested in light railway and used the old habourside line.. 

• Admin

The congested A37 into Bristol could be eased, had the Bristol and North Somerset railway route been kept clear, it’s pointless adding more buses to roads that are full to bursting, especially when the buses take too long to get anywhere and don’t run frequently enough out of rush hours.  As for cycling, Bristol is too hilly, with the over congested roads and pointless cycle lanes that just end in narrow, busy sections of main road, to ever get people cycling en masse.

33 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So many cycle paths directly into the centre too.... it's perfect for a light rail service from various points in the suburbs.

The original habour railway ran from BTM, under St Mary Redcliffe, along the waterfront and down to Create before joining up with the Portishead line.  Short sighted at the max

15555149000_e5387890be_b.jpgA bird's-eye view of Redcliffe Bristol by Paul Townsend, on Flickr

• Admin
5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

The original habour railway ran from BTM, under St Mary Redcliffe, along the waterfront and down to Create before joining up with the Portishead line.  Short sighted at the max

15555149000_e5387890be_b.jpgA bird's-eye view of Redcliffe Bristol by Paul Townsend, on Flickr

How good would it be to resurrect all the abandoned lines in and around Bristol, I like living here, but the traffic and the incompetence of the Council in dealing with it, could see me go somewhere less crowded.  I have to have a wry smile driving round by Temple Meads, as the signs proclaim “Sorry for the inconvenience whilst we carry out improvements”.........  Having seen the results of these “improvements” in various parts of the City, I can only assume once the contractors depart, taking their plastic barriers and temporary lights with them, it will be another shambles that slows down the progress of traffic.

Removing the flyover was a backward step, narrowing roads, that’s a backwards step, creating bus lanes for irregular and unreliable bus services, that traverse the City, taking in far too many twist and turns, taking far too long to get to the main places ( Railway station, Bus Station and central Bristol generally) are doing nothing to encourage cars to be left at home.  The times I work, there is no way I can catch a bus, as they don’t run early enough and when I am on lates, they are too infrequent.

Crossing the City over the last few months, from Whitchurch to BPW at any time after about 07:00 and before approx 20:00, the journey varies between an average of 6- 16mph and part of that includes the M32.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:21, phantom said:

aadccfa1-e292-44fe-bfed-fe656bb289cc.jpg

Bristol Community Transport (BCT) have been unveiled as the operator of our longest Metrobus route. They will run our m1 route which connects south Bristol, the city centre and the University of the West of England with Cribbs Causeway.

BCT will be operating the route under contract to First West of England. They are creating 60 new driver and support jobs at their Bedminster depot and have invested £7 million in a fleet of 21 biogas buses for the m1 route. The buses are carbon neutral and will run on gas generated from food waste. BCT will also be reinvesting all profits back into community projects.

This means the operators for the first three Metrobus routes have all been announced. The m2 and m3 routes will be operated directly by First West of England.

Why is this all so radical, state of the art etc.  At the end of the day it just looks like ................................ another bus, really. :disapointed2se:

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

Why is this all so radical, state of the art etc.  At the end of the day it just looks like ................................ another bus, really. :disapointed2se:

..... and the National ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ Award goes to......drum roll...... Bristol Metro Bus.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Er, so the bit of the new road that goes to the LA park and ride appears to have been taken over by travellers this morning 

I wonder if that is the crowd that have just been booted out of the Taunton Park and ride

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Er, so the bit of the new road that goes to the LA park and ride appears to have been taken over by travellers this morning 

A55382CE-A104-4259-AB4F-34FE52A1C7CA.jpeg

This is the same part of the route that's now totally disappeared off the metrobus map!

The route between LA & Hengrove.. gone.

metrobus-route-map.jpg

• Admin

A promised Metrobus route across South Bristol will only happen if thousands of houses are built across the south of the city, BristolLive can reveal.

And the admission by the team running the controversial Metrobus project – which came only after BristolLive broke the story of the mystery of the disappearing route – has been labelled ‘disgraceful’ and ‘outrageous’ by one of the city’s MP.

Karin Smyth said Metrobus had effectively deceived the people of South Bristol into agreeing and supporting a much-needed new public transport system – only to now say it would only happen after thousands of new homes are built on green spaces in the area.

A day after Metrobus explained the reason the South Bristol Metrobus Link route had disappeared from the map was because it was only built as a ‘future-proof’ measure, an email from the Metrobus team seen by BristolLive has revealed the route will only happen ‘as soon as housing development has taken place’.

Metrobus route across South Bristol mysteriously disappears from the map

It came as, ironically enough, a group of travellers decided to set up camp on it.

Picture taken by driver-by this morning after camp appears overnight

The email said because Metrobus was always intended to be a public transport system run with no public subsidy – that meant a South Bristol Link service from Hengrove, through Hartcliffe and Bishopsworth to Long Ashton would only happen when there were more houses built along the route to provide enough people for it to be financially viable.

The 7 ways Metrobus will change South Bristol

According to Karin Smyth, that is not what she, local councillors and the people of South Bristol have been led to believe, and the furious MP is now demanding something be done to get the route running now, rather than years down the line when thousands of homes are eventually built.

The email from Metrobus explained the South Bristol Link Road was already ‘doing what it was designed to do’ – and appeared to claim it was never the intention to start running a South Bristol Metrobus Link before homes were built.

Spot the difference - the Metrobus map last week (left) and this week (right)

"We fully expect a future Metrobus service will use the South Bristol Link,” the email said.

“MetroBus has been designed to be a commercial service that is operated without council subsidy. The public transport infrastructure Bristol City Council and North Somerset Council have built along the South Bristol Link will allow bus operators to run a commercial service as soon as housing development has taken place.

Metrobus route will have to close if it snows - because it's too narrow for snow ploughs

“The South Bristol Link is doing what it was designed to do. It has removed traffic from unsuitable residential roads, reduced journey times and improved transport links for residents and businesses in south Bristol,” the spokesperson added.

Bristol Community Transport (BCT) has been unveiled as the operator of the longest MetroBus route

“Buses are already benefitting from quicker journey times thanks to the new road and reduced traffic in other areas.

“Where high quality sustainable transport options, like Metrobus, are integrated into housing development at the planning stage or at the time of major investment they are well-used. It is much more difficult to ‘retro-fit’ sustainable transport into a development as travel habits will have already been established,” he added.

Metrobus bosses 'have misled' the people of Bristol over delays says leading councillor

Quite when Metrobus would begin during the building of the homes – which normally take several years to build – is unclear. The email listed 82 homes on Imperial Park, 150 new homes on Filwood Green, and the 2,000 homes planned long-term for Hengrove Park – the old Whitchurch airfield.

“Direct connections to the Metrobus network are included in the plans for these and other proposed housing developments in the south Bristol area,” it added.

“Making sure that high quality public transport infrastructure is in place before housing means that people who move into these new developments are more likely to use the bus. Planning sustainable transport options as an integral part of development from the start can lead to healthier and happier communities where people have a genuine choice about how they get around,” it said.

The response left Karin Smyth furious. She branded it a disgrace. “It is outrageous and a total disgrace, the way it has been left,” she said.

“If it’s not commercially viable now, then I am baffled. There are thousands of people living here now that desperately need this connection.

The link route would connect up areas of south west Bristol which are some of the most statistically deprived in the city – and provide a quick link to two of the three Metrobus routes into the city centre and Temple Meads that are planned to open this year.

“There are a number of decisions being made at the moment in Bristol that are further increasing the inequalities of opportunity in South Bristol, from this to the Arena and beyond.

“Only starting the Metrobus Link after the houses are built? That was never said. I don’t think I missed anything, I don’t think Cllr Helen Holland, who has been on top of this from the start, has missed anything, I don’t think the people of South Bristol have missed anything.

“I don’t get shocked about much but they have deceived South Bristol, and it is genuinely shocking to not see it on the Metrobus map,” she added.

“Any of that would’ve not been acceptable at the time this was all agreed, and by putting it out there now, this is not the way to do it,” she said.

Karin Smyth

“We can’t wait for housing – that was never part of the deal. They have to come up with something to make sure this happens as soon as possible.

“They need to explain themselves better because they haven’t explained themselves at all,” she added.

These are all the places in Bristol where affordable houses will be built in the next few years

The MP’s comments about Metrobus changing, downgrading and delaying parts of the route without keeping elected representatives – and the taxpayer – informed echo those last month of Southville councillor Steve Clarke, who sits on the West of England scrutiny committee.

He said Metrobus 'was misleading people' after he said he was being told the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads route would still be opening ‘by the end of spring’ just days before BristolLive revealed it had been delayed and no date had been set for its opening, while the route to Emerson's Green would open at the end of May.

Archived