IGNORED

Bristol Metro bus (Merged)

Pickle Rick

• Admin

Metrobus bosses have denied rumours that the troubled Ashton Vale Metrobus link includes a flyover that has too sharp a bend for buses to get around safely.

The lengthy delays to the M2 Ashton Vale route – have sparked a range of theories and rumours about exactly why the route has been delayed.

Every update on progress, or lack of it, on the Metrobus has been followed by local residents questioning whether the spectacular-looking S-shaped flyover at Winterstoke Road, opposite Ashton Gate Stadium, is a bigger problem that Metrobus is not admitting to.

The conspiracy theory, stated numerous times on social media in BS3, states that the sharp bend that turns the Metrobus route from Ashton Vale to run parallel with Winterstoke Road is too severe a turn for the buses to negotiate successfully, especially on the guided rail system.

GV - Metro Bus flyover on Winterstoke Road 

BristolLive put that to Metrobus, and were reassured that this was not the case.

We asked if the rumours about the bend were true, and whether there were any other issues regarding the structure of the flyover, and Metrobus categorically said ‘no’.

Other conspiracy theories about the reasons for the delays to the Ashton Vale M2 route, including question marks over the Ashton Swing Bridge.

Earlier this year, buses were photographed being tested on the historic bridge, and local residents questioned whether the iron bridge’s structure, which buses have to pass underneath as well as over, was too low for the buses to pass safely through.

We also asked whether that was true, and whether there were any other issues with the Ashton Swing Bridge, and Metrobus again categorically said ‘no’.

IMG_4105JPG.jpg
The biogas bus is tested for height on the Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge 

BristolLive revealed earlier this week that the real reason for the delays to the M2 route, which will link Long Ashton Park and Ride with Temple Meads and the city centre via Ashton, Spike Island and Redcliffe, are twofold.

Firstly, there is an issue with the guided rails in several places along the mile and a half section of the ‘guided busway’ on the southerly section of the route, that still need to be sorted out.

And secondly, the delays to the physical infrastructure of the route meant the installation of the iPoint ticket machines was switched to the M3 route – where there were no similar problems – to ensure that route could open first instead.

That now means that the iPoint machines and other communication infrastructure has to be completed this summer, and the race is on to get that installed and ready for the moment the all-clear is given on the buses and the rail itself.

22 hours ago, MC26 said:

I noticed when driving home last night that the travellers seem to have moved on (or been moved on) from the site, leaving the usual mass of rubbish behind. Right state down there.

They'll probably use that as another excuse for the delays! 

But, but, they`re just a persecuted minority that should be welcomed and embraced by the settled community and not criticized for wishing to live an alternative lifestyle.

Thieving scum every one of them. No doubt the contents of a few garden sheds locally have been `liberated` over the last few days and one or two quad bikes have mysteriously disappeared with A&S`s finest at a complete loss as to the identity of the culprits.

Watch them rock up on a school playing field somewhere close by and wreck that in the next day or two now.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

But, but, they`re just a persecuted minority that should be welcomed and embraced by the settled community and not criticized for wishing to live an alternative lifestyle.

Thieving scum every one of them. No doubt the contents of a few garden sheds locally have been `liberated` over the last few days and one or two quad bikes have mysteriously disappeared with A&S`s finest at a complete loss as to the identity of the culprits.

Watch them rock up on a school playing field somewhere close by and wreck that in the next day or two now.

They were just a few steps away from the industrial estate down there too - plenty of open warehouses, if that's their thing... 

What did you expect it to be? ....it not a tram as that would’ve been far too expensive and far too futuristic for Bristol....even though it would’ve been much better than the huge white elephant we’ve ended up with ! ...well done Bristol city council you’ve failed our city once again ! ...:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Tram is not an option. Edinburgh suffered enough during its construction.

But now it’s working it’s acrually really rather good. 

Just now, Tomarse said:

But now it’s working it’s acrually really rather good. 

Yea but the economic issues it created with local infrastructure was relentless and excessive. Got family up there and they don’t approve. You can walk to your destination quicker than getting on the tram.

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

I've just seen one.

All it is, is a bloody bus.  Painted green and grey.  With Metro Bus written on the side.  And it's got a driver.  And it drives in bus lanes together with bicycles and taxis.  WTF?

I rarely get the bus but this week I had to go into town, there must have been a shortage of buses or they were trialing them as when my bus arrived it was a metro style bus ( no I’m miles away from a metro route, I haven’t gone mad). Anyway, it was really nice, obviously brand new, had advertising screens and plenty of legroom and nice seats. The best thing was it had usb chargers between the seats, useful I thought.

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yea but the economic issues it created with local infrastructure was relentless and excessive. Got family up there and they don’t approve. You can walk to your destination quicker than getting on the tram.

Which to be fair Metrobus has delivered a fair bit as well. 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Long walk from the airport to princes street ....:whistle:

6 hours ago, RedM said:

I rarely get the bus but this week I had to go into town, there must have been a shortage of buses or they were trialing them as when my bus arrived it was a metro style bus ( no I’m miles away from a metro route, I haven’t gone mad). Anyway, it was really nice, obviously brand new, had advertising screens and plenty of legroom and nice seats. The best thing was it had usb chargers between the seats, useful I thought.

Is it just me that would rather have cheaper, more reliable public transport than superfluous gubbins like USB chargers and WiFi?No offence meant M.

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

Is it just me that would rather have cheaper, more reliable public transport than superfluous gubbins like USB chargers and WiFi?No offence meant M.

No offence taken, I would agree with you. I have travelled hundreds of miles on various coach companies cheaper than I can get across Bristol. That’s absolutely crazy.

• Admin

From another forum:

My insider tells me that route M2 has been cleared to start operating and a start date of September 3rd is mooted. Clearance for some non-passenger service vehicles is yet to be confirmed. There is now a mad panic to get the I-points plinths completed and where needed electrics and comms cable wiring runs installed to the I-points bases. Apparently last Saturday was the busiest day of the service to date, well it had to be, didn't it, was Harbour Festival weekend in the city. The blank paper ticket roll can be monitored remotely and on Saturday morning the P&R Inbound I-point recorded 70% ticket roll remaining but by the afternoon this had reduced to 19% and thus gave "kittens" to the promoters fearing that the ticket machine had been hacked and was issuing "freebies".

I see, finally, the Ashton Gate - Temple Meads Service is scheduled to start operating in September.

As the level of incompetence in designing the scheme will, no doubt, be exceeded by those operating the venture I assume they haven’t thought through the implications for matchdays.

So, calling all locals. It seems we can buy a £4 all day ticket. That I assume entitles ‘free’ parking at LA Park and Ride? If so, that’ll be one in the eye for the nearby rip off car parking merchants.

Anyone know where the Ashton Gate stop is? Seems the route is 50 foot up in the air as it passes the stadium. Should be fun all trying to pile on the bus after the match to catch the 5:45 train to God’s County. No doubt they won’t be putting on any extra services to cater for that demand.

4 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

You sure? Was told back of the Lansdown stand before it routes off to Ashton Vale 

You asking for certainty on the Metrobus - tall order ! Think you'r getting confused with the new train station (due in 2050). Last map that I saw had it behind the bowling alley although that also had the extension to Withywood on it, so could be history.

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

You sure? Was told back of the Lansdown stand before it routes off to Ashton Vale 

No, that’s nowhere near the new road for it. It comes over the new bridge, runs alongside the train track for a small distance, then goes behind the newer flats, where there is a stop. There’s the a small walk into the park, which you walk across to get to the ground. 

2 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

No, that’s nowhere near the new road for it. It comes over the new bridge, runs alongside the train track for a small distance, then goes behind the newer flats, where there is a stop. There’s the a small walk into the park, which you walk across to get to the ground. 

Cheers. But this isn’t ready for Saturday though ?

Nearest stop to the ground is behind the flats which used to be the bowling ally.

However don’t hold your breath , they may not be running buses while there is football at Ashton Gate due to Health and Safety concerns.

Archived