IGNORED

Transfer deadline day: Not a fax machine to be seen

Thomas_red

Sorry to shatter the illusion of frenetic last minute fax machine pandemonium at the 11th hour on transfer deadline day folks. 

Found this to be an interesting read: "Transfer window: exposing the widely held myths about how clubs sign players" and thought it was worth sharing. Transfers are all processed through the FIFA TMS system which is done online (sorry if this is old news, but it's the first I've heard of it). Also goes into detail on how deals are constructed behind the scenes and how the numbers touted in the press can be misleading in so many ways with regard to actual cost to the club over the period of the contract. Not sure how applicable it is to us at Championship level as players image rights etc. can't be worth much can they but certainly performance related bonuses etc. do?

Check it out here.

#coyr

You mention the fax machine.

Until the early 70s the player's documents had to be physically handed in to Football League HQ by 5.00pm on deadline day. As a result managers having clinched a signing would then have to rush to Lytham St Annes;  a system that favoured Northern, (especially Lancashire) clubs.

Then clubs were allowed to use technology and details could be faxed to HQ. presumably clubs can now scan & email documents.

Some years back the League rang City to confirm we had bought Cantona!. Some joker faked a City letterhead and faxed the FL stating we had signed Eric Cantona. The League were going to put this through, but rang the club as the purchase was priced at £750. They wondered if some 0s had been missed off.

17 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

"No club has ever directly recouped a player’s transfer fee through shirt sales. Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard."

Just goes to show what an astute move it is to produce our own kit and benefit from the additional margin. I doubt it is anywhere near covering players costs but it's a start!

4 minutes ago, Thomas_red said:

Just goes to show what an astute move it is to produce our own kit and benefit from the additional margin. I doubt it is anywhere near covering players costs but it's a start!

Yes, totally. I know we would never get anywhere near the sales levels of Manu etc, but I'd rather see us invest in a local company and not one of the big suppliers

Archived