IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Aston Villa Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You could look at these fixtures both ways really. We are catching these teams not as finished articles. However, we aren't either. We've signed what 6?7? New players. Many for the first team. We aren't up to speed just like they aren't. It's why I'm optimistic for the season. Think we could be a wildcard to push for a playoff spot. I don't expect it but at the same time, I don't know how good we can be. We are still an unknown. These 3 games I think, regardless of result, show us how good we can be. Come out today with respect like we did against Newcastle and Norwich then I'm still just as positive. So the point I'm trying to make, is that I don't think you can even say our result so far suggest mid table. I would argue it suggest a bit better. Top 8 I'd say as an unfinished article. Burton looks like a better result now. Losing by 1 to the two favourites for winning the league isn't awful with a new squad. Like I said, I won't expect top 8 but I think our form so far suggest a bit better than mid table. It's a long year though. Can't wait 

11 including loans

• Like 1
6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day to one and all. It is rather strange how, when I am searching for relevant or interesting topics for each Match Day, I come across coincidences. They might be rather irrelevant but they add a bit of interest, at least that is what i think and what is a thread if not of interest to all of us or, at the very least, most of us. So if I make the remark that the Burger Bar Boys are coming today to 'receive' a beating from the Johnson Crew would it mean anything? To those who tend to watch and follow gang culture they might. They are both, or were, rather notorious gangs from Aston and the former were involved in some murders that hit the national news in 2003 when 2 girls died when they got hit in cross fire as the Johnson Crew were targeted. I am merely using a simile that connects Aston to Bristol City via the Johnson Crew. So hopefully we can give Aston Villa a metaphorical beating today.

And our 'on this very day' event this week is Krakatoa which really requires little introduction to anyone but it is a fascinating piece of history.

To this day Krakatoa remains the most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history. A small, uninhabited, volcanic island located west of Sumatra in Indonesia the explosion of which was heard 3,000 miles away and threw five cubic miles of earth 50 miles into the air, created 120-foot tsunamis and killed 36,000 people.

Krakatoa exhibited its first stirrings in more than 200 years on May 20, 1883. A German warship passing by reported a seven-mile high cloud of ash and dust over Krakatoa. For the next two months, similar explosions would be witnessed by commercial liners and natives on nearby Java and Sumatra. With little to no idea of the impending catastrophe, the local inhabitants greeted the volcanic activity with festive excitement.

On August 26 and August 27, excitement turned to horror as Krakatoa literally blew itself apart, setting off a chain of natural disasters that would be felt around the world for years to come. An enormous blast on the afternoon of August 26 destroyed the northern two-thirds of the island; as it plunged into the Sunda Strait. Talking of eruptions...

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.48.30.png

This rather square shaped affair is a volcanic island named after our venerable city and has, since May of this year, blown its top in anger. The core heat source of course being red and everything around it being a rather icy blue seen from satellite. Bristol Island is one of the more southerly of the South Sandwich Islands in the South Atlantic. Something is stirring in Bristol. There is a Villa island located north of Trondheim, Norway, its a bit tiny and insignificant at less than half a square mile unlike Bristol Island, at 18 square miles, which remains the least researched island of the arcing South Sandwich chain due to its largely ice capped terrain and inaccessibility. The fact it is stirring for the first time since 1956, just after City's last title winning season before our recent League 1 triumph suggests there is renewed fire in the belly. I shall be watching the continued activity of Bristol Island with interest.

Talking of insignificant things Aston only has a population of 32,000. Being incorporated, as Aston Manor, into the city of Birmingham only in 1909. Aston, although famous for Aston Hall designed by John Thorpe for Sir Thomas Holte and later leased by James Watt Jr, the son of Industrial pioneer James Watt, there are not that many great buildings of note in the borough. In fact it was the most deprived area of Birmingham for many years with 20% of homes up to the 1950's not 'fit for human habitation' according to a health service report of the day. Large scale refurbishments of terraced housing were not carried out until the 1980's. The juxtaposition of Aston Hall, a classic Jacobean style building that was the first to enter municipal ownership in the mid 19th century, with such depravity is stark. But Aston does have Aston Villa. Clearly the most successful club in Birmingham with a glorious history and until its disastrous last campaign in the Premier League was the 6th longest consecutively serving club in the top flight, since 1988/9 season, and second only to Everton in total number of seasons, 97.

As a youngster I cannot forget the six seasons, one after the other, that English clubs won the European Cup culminating in Villa in 1982; Liverpool 3, Nottingham Forest 2 and Villa 1. We were the kings of Europe and at that time I thought it was going to carry on forever! That Villa team under Tony Barton played some beautiful football. Just remember these players:-

Jimmy Rimmer, Kenny Swain, Gary Williams, Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Dennis Mortimer (c), Des Bremner, Gary Shaw, Peter Withe, Gordon Cowans and Tony Morley. 

Paul Breitner,  Dieter Hoeneß and Karl Heinz Rummenigge played for Bayern.

Peter Withe, who was man of the match that night at De Kuip in Rotterdam, was eulogised in these famous words by the best football commentator I have ever had the pleasure to listen to, Brian Moore:- "Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe" . They beat the mighty Bayern Munich 1-0. That sign adorns the North Stand at Villa Park, I believe, to this day.

One of the most memorable incidents of the final occurred after 10 minutes when veteran goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer suffered a repeat of a recurring shoulder injury. His replacement, Nigel Spink, subsequently made only his second first team appearance for the club. His performance in helping prevent Bayern from scoring throughout the match was subsequently highly praised, and is seen by many as the making of a player who would be Villa's first choice goalkeeper for the following 10 seasons.

Villa now have to rebuild and like all of the West Midlands clubs under Chinese ownership; what a bizarre sequence of events that led all three famous clubs to relinquish control to the rather disliked Asian nation. I hope it goes well for the sake of the fans but crikey oh reilly are we all lucky we have not only a British owner but a Bristolian one at that. I would not trade places with Villa in a million years. 

So, to todays clash of the crest fallen and the rising reds. Surely we can turn decent displays over Norwich and, particularly, Newcastle into a win? I really do hope City can secure the services of a proven goal grabber before the window shuts in spite of the words of Lee Johnson telling the press he is happy with all he has done in the window even if no striker does come in. That said we do have the talent to open up Villa and I think we will. Tight affair, as all Championship matches are likely to be, but i think we will just edge it 2-1. Abraham and Flint; no need for a Christmas tree, just get on and do the job. UTC. Enjoy the match. 23,800 ?

Not going to lie, a tad disappointed in you today. Read all the interesting things about Bristol Island and then went on to discover you were holding out on us and left out the most interesting fact about it... not the volcano or 36,000 deaths caused by the tsunami but that there is a real life crashed UFO on the Island...

ScreenShot_20160827115531.png

ScreenShot_20160827115618.png

Edited by Fiale

I am genuinely excited by today. Villa are one of the few clubs that i hold a respect for in regard to their size, fan base etc.  Like Spurs and Everton to name a couple of others.

Can't wait for the away fixture. Would love to role back the years for that one but both my boys are excited by it so can't really deny them the experience. 

Edited by 054123
If u read this u r thick
1 hour ago, cynic said:

At the start of the season I had this game down as the most winnable of the opening 5 games but they seem to have regrouped and started to pick up some form so it will probably be the hardest game yet. Having said that, if we click we can beat any team in this division and I'm getting the impression that we are starting to hit some form after the last three games and dominated possession against Newcastle and Scunthorpe.

Should be a close game (emphasis on should) which we can edge 2-1.

Kodjia to get his first of the season.

Interesting.. I had Burton down as the easiest. You have to discount what Ollie has to say. Seriously though, I can see where you are coming from.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Just another thing....

Isn't it kind of cool that we have our "Man in Manila" @havanatopia doing the match day thread each week? Thousands of miles away on the far side of the earth , in a different time zone , committed City fan and definitely original. No offence to others but it's become part of the match day ritual for me and he's made the position his own!

I cannot argue with these sentiments.

33 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ok. It's just crass. Happy? 

Not really no. Not all similes or posts can or should be smileys. There is nothing crass about discussing something that happened. 

Edited by havanatopia
16 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Not going to lie, a tad disappointed in you today. Read all the interesting things about Bristol Island and then went on to discover you were holding out on us and left out the most interesting fact about it... not the volcano or 36,000 deaths caused by the tsunami but that there is a real life crashed UFO on the Island...

ScreenShot_20160827115618.png

Well done for finding that; I thought I would leave it undiscovered for a fellow fan to find as indeed you have.

Marvellous what one can do with Photoshop and a photo of what looks like an old Rolex!

Edited by havanatopia

Great start to the thread and how it should always be imo. 

I feel we can make a good count of ourselves today like previously against the other two relegated teams.

I'll go for a 2-1 either way depending on who scores first with that team going onto win, JK for us  McCormack for them both before half time, hopefully JK first, then us coming out after with Flint smashing a beauty off his head on about the 88th minute. 

Hope everyone has a top time and leave with the bragging rights, COYR's!!

15 minutes ago, TNBT said:

Great start to the thread and how it should always be imo. 

I feel we can make a good count of ourselves today like previously against the other two relegated teams.

I'll go for a 2-1 either way depending on who scores first with that team going onto win, JK for us  McCormack for them both before half time, hopefully JK first, then us coming out after with Flint smashing a beauty off his head on about the 88th minute. 

Hope everyone has a top time and leave with the bragging rights, COYR's!!

Ok looks like JK won't be scoring so I'll hope it's Tammy instead. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/bcfctweets/status/769520240203960320/photo/1

Bleh, just tried to post the graphic of the team line up, and will not work.

Have to say, it looks a much more balanced line up without two up front. Would much rather see Pack than Reid in the two defensive midfielders, and not convinced yet by Freeman, but like the shape.

Edited by cityexile