IGNORED

The one person that we can not afford to lose

foghornred

With all the talk about Kodjia and Flint leaving it comes as no surprise but the one person that we should be worried about is our manager Lee Johnson.

He is becoming one of the most astute in the league,the way that he changed the game on Saturday was a masterclass and its not the first time that he has done it,

Fulham away last season comes to mind.

I can see a premiership team thinking that he is worth a go young and English,there are not many about,we should get him on a long term contract as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, foghornred said:

With all the talk about Kodjia and Flint leaving it comes as no surprise but the one person that we should be worried about is our manager Lee Johnson.

He is becoming one of the most astute in the league,the way that he changed the game on Saturday was a masterclass and its not the first time that he has done it,

I can see a premiership team thinking that he is worth a go young and English,there are not many about,we should get him on a long term contract as soon as possible.

He'd be an idiot to join that merry go round right now before he's proved himself a little more, he has the backing and a chance to do something special with a club he loves.  He certainly isn't an an idiot, he also seems to be someone with a long term view so think we'll be OK for a while.

We're lucky to have him and hope that we are a long term project before he gets his 'big move'.  I expect, and hope, he reaches the top.

13 minutes ago, RumRed said:

He'd be an idiot to join that merry go round right now before he's proved himself a little more, he has the backing and a chance to do something special with a club he loves.  He certainly isn't an an idiot, he also seems to be someone with a long term view so think we'll be OK for a while.

We're lucky to have him and hope that we are a long term project before he gets his 'big move'.  I expect, and hope, he reaches the top.

A key selling point LJ and MA have mentioned in attracting players is the stability we have with a billionaire Bristol backer.  Aside from Middlesbrough I can't see any reason to leave right now until he has cemented his reputation by delivering something tangible.

It will be a measure of the club's success that LJ can leave because we as a club will have defined our identity and ethos and recruit a replacement on that basis.

9 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Huddersfield fans might be thinking the same thing! 

I expect if we are top 6 by the time the first wave of sackings come in our league there may be a slight chance he would go if a bigger champ club like derby came calling. 

No chance, he's been groomed for this and the support from the board's there.  

He'll go at some point of course but I hope that when he does its to one of the top 10 prem teams.  

He's not going to jump ship to a so called bigger team in the champ.

It feels as if we are actually building something for once and he's the foundation of this, and I would imagine he knows.

May go sour but I bloody hope not.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He's not going anywhere because he has only just started on "Project BCFC" and he'd be a fool to leave at this stage.

Agreed and he most certainly isn't a fool.

I liked his appointment from the start and it's obvious he has SL's backing. 

All those calling for a big name in our hour of need last season have been proved wrong, we needed someone who loves the club, is young, and most importantly the board trust.

Just look at this window, he's been handed the keys to Ashton Gate along with MA etc and they've done sterling work.

He's in it for the long haul and I think for the first time for decades he'll be given the chance to see it through.

Happy times to be a fan.

I'd like to believe he's an Eddie Howe type, minus the Burnley exit. A young manager who we've invested in, who has a real connection to the club and the fans, and who wants to make this club something it hasn't been for a long long time. I'd like to see him here for the long haul. Patience and trust.

6 hours ago, Ben4BCFC said:

I'd like to believe he's an Eddie Howe type, minus the Burnley exit. A young manager who we've invested in, who has a real connection to the club and the fans, and who wants to make this club something it hasn't been for a long long time. I'd like to see him here for the long haul. Patience and trust.

That's how I see the situation and Eddie Howe is the ideal comparison. Can see LJ being here a long time providing the club continues moving forward and achieves Premier League status and are able to stay there.

5 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

Please feel free to prove me wrong everyone, but I struggle to remember the last time a Championship manager with no Premier League experience left a Champ club for the PL.

There was Paulo di Canio, remember him? He didn't even have Championship experience. Then there's Gus Poyet. Good job Lee isn't Leeandro Johanssen, or we'd need to keep a close eye on things at Sunderland....

I don`t think we need to worry at all TBH. He`s here for the long haul and provided he doesn`t fall out with Sir Steve his future is secure. I honestly believe the way he wants to manage in the prem at the moment is by getting us there.

Five years down the line, who knows? It will depend on where his stock sits at the time, will he be Eddie Howe or Paul Tisdale?

Steve Bruce, Steve McClaren, Roberto Mancini, Tim Sherwood, Marcelo Biesla, Laurent Blanc, Fabio Capello, Steve Clarke, Paul Clement. Lots of names, some bigger than others. Should be a long enough list of out of work managers (but very reputable managers) to satisfy most Premiership / Top-end Championship clubs should the merry-go-round start fairly soon. 

Little Lee loves it here, has just been backed arguably more than any other manager in the history of the club, has the new (updated) stadium. Some top drawer players in his squad for this level, plus some very exciting young players to work with and nurture. I cannot see for the life of me, unless it all goes wrong for Jose, why Lee would leave for any other club for at least this season, and most likely next.

No one bite my head off because I'm not suggesting it but the way Lee can change formations tactics in games is what England is crying out for unlike the drool we've had in charge sticking to one formation and when things go wrong not knowing how to change it, As for city his heart is with us so would take a big big club to praise him away if ever he's here for the "project"

Interesting OP. 

I think the whole point of what's happening here at City is that bar a disaster, LJ & SL have a longer term plan to bring sustained success and change the whole ethos of the club. 

How many Prem teams can afford to implement such a plan, whilst in the Prem ? 

If anything, it might be a big club who drop out of the Prem and are looking for a new direction with patience. 

Our history has us in an almost unique position where there isn't an urgency for Prem/Europe/Silverware. As long as we are progressing & improving, LJ will be afforded the time to see the job through here. 

I guess the best we can hope for is that at some point we will feel the need for a new face to take us on to the next level. 

Otherwise, LJ could be our own little Arsene Wenger. 

Good post @Bar BS3  

In terms of succession planning were LJ to go, then maybe Gary O'Neil has management aspirations?  They way he manages a game suggests he has potential.  

Still can't see LJ moving anytime soon as long as there in some progression on the pitch.  Mid table and a season bedding in the current bumper crop of players will be enough for me. 

13 hours ago, foghornred said:

Still learning the ropes..wouldn't think we have any worrys as yet-needs this job to go well for a couple of years-wasnt it just 'a rocket' at half time Saturday that woke 'em up???

14 hours ago, foghornred said:

Let's see how he goes in his first full season with us first. Doing a decent job so far.

12 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Steve Bruce, Steve McClaren, Roberto Mancini, Tim Sherwood, Marcelo Biesla, Laurent Blanc, Fabio Capello, Steve Clarke, Paul Clement. Lots of names, some bigger than others. Should be a long enough list of out of work managers (but very reputable managers) to satisfy most Premiership / Top-end Championship clubs should the merry-go-round start fairly soon. 

Steve Clarke was at Ashton Gate on Saturday - on Villa's bench - he's Di Matteo's assistant...

Please let the international break end... Brace yourself for more threads like this :facepalm:

never going to happen, he's turned around our form back end of a season and has won 3 out of 5 games. Great start but with managers like Rafa and Di Mateo who have won Champions league and still managing in the championship I doubt he will be off to the prem anytime soon unless it's with us.

Archived