IGNORED

Pack : CONTRACT EXTENSION NOW SIGNED

Esmond Million's Bung

I thought Pack was last year's most improved player along with Flint after we changed formation, and (not wanting to knock Bobby Reid) I thought we looked more solid when he came on Saturday.

He doesn't seem to me to be the sort of bloke to throw his toys out of the pram, despite whatever b#ll#cks his dad might post online. And thankfully he's not looking for the Hollywood pass all the time any more!

As i said on another thread, its to late in the day for anyone else to move on (bar Jimmy) imo. The squad has undergone a massive overhaul and if we have to scramble around for players to replace Pack, Flint and anyone else at this stage is detrimental. We can't risk being short of numbers and we can't risk lowering the quality of the squad. IF (and its a big if) these players aren't happy then we should agree to move them on in the upcoming windows once we have had time to identify replacements and for the squad to settle.

16 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Would be very disappointed if he was to leave huge improvement past year, I want to see him competing / sharing with O'Neil and Korey those holding roles, three excellent players.

...and I think LJ will pick on performances not just reputations.  Get the shirt, hold onto the shirt.

3 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

LJ got rid of Agard who had the penalty fiasco and ignored team orders, Ayling who was involved in the Cheltenham "pissgate" incident and perhaps Pack is going to be a victim of his Dad revealing transfer issues prematurely.

May all be total coincidence but LJ does give off the air of someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

We'll get a better idea of that when one of LJ's signings makes his own faux pas.

At the moment it just seems to be a case of a recently installed manager having evaluated the squad he inherited and getting rid of players he either doesn't rate, or those he simply doesn't like. He has the money at his disposal, and the backing of the owner, to engineer the squad to his liking sooner rather than later.

It's turning into a fairly ruthless cull of the old favourites though, and I'd be the very last person to mention the possibility of harming the equilibrium of the squad or denting their spirits, because the way things are going it looks like the majority of the squad that might have been ill affected may well not be here soon anyway.

What seems to be happening is that players in their last contract year are being sold if they don't agree to re-sign if there's likely to be a significant fee involved. In the past we've usually hoped for the best and then the player's left for nothing at the end, we're not willing to waste money anymore.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

What seems to be happening is that players in their last contract year are being sold if they don't agree to re-sign if there's likely to be a significant fee involved. In the past we've usually hoped for the best and then the player's left for nothing at the end, we're not willing to waste money anymore.

What seems to be happening is that the team and squad are being properly managed in line with the club's long term strategy.

Firstly LJ appears to be picking players an form and ability and is prepared to change things when necessary irrespective who he needs to substitiute( to brilliant effect so far). Secondly, players coming in are better than those leaving and/or have far greater long term potential than those leaving. Thirdly, we are actually making good money on the majority of the players leaving as compared to struggling to get rid of dead wood, as was the case too often in the past. Finally, the players coming in are not only going to benefit the team in the immediate and long term future but also able to be sold for a profit if they want to move in the future - Kodjia is the obvious example of this currently, although he was not a LJ.

I would expect there to be an ongoing and regular turnover in playing  personnel going forward as LJ fine tunes his team and is always looking to improve the quality of players at BCFC.

Rate Pack highly, for me he would be in the starting 11 every week but I think LJ see's him as a similar player to O'neil and prefers to have the legs of Bobby ( who is more effective in a advance role) next to him while Smith is out, I would certainly not be looking to sell him as with O'niel in his later years we could be forking out so serious transfer fees to get someone as effective in the holding role as Marlon in a season or so time in my opinion, I appreciate every player wants game time but it's a squad game and the stronger the squad the better the team is .

22 hours ago, Robbored said:

The debate about Skuse and his ability is unresolvable so no point getting into it again. I just feel for those who couldn't see what a top player he was at City.

I do agree tho that Pack has age on his side.

A bit like you have never been capable of acknowledging Flint's worth to City then?

During our many Flint debates since he joined the club you have have asserted Flint was not good enough for City, then that he would certainly be out of his depth if we reached the Championship, and furthermore that he was little more than a hoofball merchant with absolutely no chance of ever playing in the PL.

The last one we don't know yet but he's definitely become a consistently top quality Championship centre back and we are told the likes of David Moyes are actively considering a big bid in an attempt to add him to their PL squad.

Is David Moyes a better judge of the qualities required to be a successful CB in the PL than you? Surprisingly, maybe not, because you endlessly assure readers of this forum you have a particularly strong understanding of the game and feel sorry for any that cannot see things the way you do.

You've been particularly, and spectacularly, wrong about Flint so why is your exaggerated opinion on Skuse to be valued?

It would seem you can't see player qualities with quite the unique clarity you endlessly give yourself credit for.

I've never said that Flint wasn't good enough for City. He's just the type of CB we need. My criticism of him (and virtually all City CBs) is that he can't help hoofing it 30 or 40 yards. Inevitably it comes straight back. 

In fairness to Flint he's curtailed that tendency possibly because LJ has told him that it's a low percentage tactic. You have to remember that he was at Swindon where hoofing it is commonplace but in recent times he seems to have taken the easier and more simple options. Keeping possession is such a simple message.

I don't think Flint has the class a PL CB needs. The players and particularly the strikers in the PL are superior to those in SBC and think Flint would struggle higher up. That said I could be wrong and we'll find out if he moves there.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I've never said that Flint wasn't good enough for City. He's just the type of CB we need. My criticism of him (and virtually all City CBs) is that he can't help hoofing it 30 or 40 yards. Inevitably it comes straight back. 

In fairness to Flint he's curtailed that tendency possibly because LJ has told him that it's a low percentage tactic. You have to remember that he was at Swindon where hoofing it is commonplace but in recent times he seems to have taken the easier and more simple options. Keeping possession is such a simple message.

I don't think Flint has the class a PL CB needs. The players and particularly the strikers in the PL are superior to those in SBC and think Flint would struggle higher up. That said I could be wrong and we'll find out if he moves there.

Yeah, you did.

Even a cursory look at your past comments on Flint immediately reveals this gem from 10 months ago in about 5 seconds.

" Flint is a typical 'head it and kick it merchant' seen in almost every lower league team...... limited in real ability."

Another one from Feb. 15: " I wouldn't be surprised to see Flint either moving on or being a regular bench warmer should City be in the Championship next season."

Ist March of this year." Is Flint of PL quality?" :rofl2br:"Flint is a very average head it and kick it merchant ( you like that phrase, don't you RR) and League 1 is his level. He's fortunate to be playing in the Championship because he won promotion with City. Very few, if any, Championship clubs would sign him if he still played in the lower leagues."

There are many more where those come from.

The truth is RR you have always belittled Fint at City, and constantly argued against his ability and potential.

As I said you've been proved spectacularly wrong in every respect.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You said he'd struggle in the Championship when City were smashing League One. 

If Wes Morgan can win a premier league title, I'd have no worries about our Aden doing just fine!

He has taken a long time to adapt but he showed at the end of last season what an effective player he can be in this division. He is below both O'neill and Smith in the pecking order so not surprising really if he does go but it would be a shame as he is excellent backup. Wherever he ends up he can endear himself to his new supporters but cutting those Hollywood cross field balls out of his game as he can't play them.

Really hope Pack signs a new deal and stays. O'Neil is excellent but near the end of his career, Smith is currently returning from a long injury. Pack gives us defensive midfield strength and is more than able to cover and to give the other two a rest when needed. Bearing in mind Marlon's form so far Korey will need to work hard to get his first team place back, I don't think that's a shoe in.  

2 minutes ago, KnowleUtd City said:

Hi Lads, Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find the answer, does anyone know if Marlon has signed another extension recently? When is his deal up with us?

Out of contract next summer, but we have a 1 year option. 

Archived