IGNORED

Gustav Engvall - It's Official - Signed

1891 B.C. Sweden

Just now, MattRSp95 said:

Really? He looks insanely calm under pressure and he can distribute from the back. Against villa in hhe second half he didn't look like anything phased him one bit 

Just now, gordie said:

Really I think he has hit the ground running and looks like he is going to be a superb player, O'Niel another who has looked excellent as well

I said he's been good.

I've also said in other threads I think he will play in the Premier League.

However, he hasn't made an impact- Abraham has made an impact. But in general defenders (Flint 2014/15 aside) don't make an impact.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I said he's been good.

I've also said in other threads I think he will play in the Premier League.

However, he hasn't made an impact- Abraham has made an impact. But in general defenders (Flint 2014/15 aside) don't make an impact.

I suppose it's how different people view the game, I get what your saying forwards midfielders get all the credit but personally I think he has been excellent

1 minute ago, gordie said:

I suppose it's how different people view the game, I get what your saying forwards midfielders get all the credit but personally I think he has been excellent

So do I.

I have posted rave reviews about him after each game.

I don't think he has made an impact though, not after just 5 league games.

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

This article says he's signing on a 3.5 year deal for 10-15 million (to be announced Wednesday) but also says Kodjia signed for 166 million so we must be paying around £1.3m I reckon:

https://www.gp.se/sport/fotboll/engvall-lämnar-blåvitt-klar-för-engelsk-klubb-1.3740422

Its referring to Kroner for those figures so 10-15m is about £1.1 - 1.8m which is pretty consistent with what we've heard. Personally think this one is done.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Fair enough, though I was meaning impact on the playing side of things

You are going to have to define what you mean by 'impact' for a defender.

He has played in all 5 league games in which we have won 3 and lost 2, only conceding 5 goals in the process

He has scored once, made 17 clearances and has received no yellows or reds

He has looked strong, assured and calm in all games I have seen

Can't see what more he could do to make more of an impact.....especially as he is only 20 

Just now, RedRaw said:

He has played in all 5 league games in which we have won 3 and lost 2, only conceding 5 goals in the process

Can't see what more he could do to make more of an impact.....especially as he is only 20 

No denying he has been outstanding, but that's sort of my point. As I said before, it's rare that central defenders do make an impact, Tammy has had a big impact because he has had a big effect on all the games he has been involved in. Magnusson has been outstanding, but not necessarily had a big effect on games because that's not what central defenders do. He will only get better, and is already a very good Championship defender. I have tipped him to play in the next division up numerous times- I'm just not sure if it will be with us or not.

26 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Thats what im hoping, LJ and MA have proved there worth regarding transfers and cant see them not bringing in a striker.

I think it's imperative that we bring in a proven quality striker before tomorrow night.Tammy has been fantastic but he is a young lad and his form will dip at times.

The Swedish lad is young and coming from a poor league so I doubt he is an immediate answer.

Given that our other striker is 37 and never going to play 90 minutes week in week out we do need to spend a chunk of money - which we now have - in the next 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

No denying he has been outstanding, but that's sort of my point. As I said before, it's rare that central defenders do make an impact, Tammy has had a big impact because he has had a big effect on all the games he has been involved in. Magnusson has been outstanding, but not necessarily had a big effect on games because that's not what central defenders do. He will only get better, and is already a very good Championship defender. I have tipped him to play in the next division up numerous times- I'm just not sure if it will be with us or not.

@RedRaw just listed the effect he has had on the games. What more can a defender do to effect a game?

Just now, Nomad said:

@RedRaw just listed the effect he has had on the games. What more can a defender do to effect a game?

Jesus ******* christ, the initial comment was a joke, I knew the person was referring to Kodjia.

But since you ask, he isn't the leader at the back, so organising the defence. That said Flint does it well and is the more experienced defender so that would be his role. I have also said multiple times that defender naturally don't effect games as much.

Jesus ******* christ, the initial comment was a joke, I knew the person was referring to Kodjia.

But since you ask, he isn't the leader at the back, so organising the defence. That said Flint does it well and is the more experienced defender so that would be his role. I have also said multiple times that defender naturally don't effect games as much.

That's one of the worst statements I've seen on OTIB for a while. Might not be the most glamorous position in the side but you are just wrong imho.

Affect. Apologies for being a ***** but that particular word triggers my ocd when misused. I know....sorry again.

13 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Norman Hunter made an impact as a defender . :whistle2:

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Affect. Apologies for being a ***** but that particular word triggers my ocd when misused. I know....sorry again.

No worries. While not perfect I try and make my Grammar OK, but I have always struggled with "affect" and "effect" so tend to just use "effect" for simplicity.

Archived