IGNORED

All things Speedway related

22A

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

What sort of attendances do they get these days?

Whenever I stumble across it on Sky Sports, the UK events always seem to be coming live from a patch of waste land on the edge of some sort of housing estate.

It's so sad to see the lack of decent crowds at UK stadiums that make The Mem look like Wembley.

The purpose built Belle Vue National Speedway stadium ffom only a couple of years ago looks impressive. However, without the temporary stands it can only hold around 5000.

I have kept one of the greatest races ever featuring the Aces vs Swindon Robins in a play off. To see Max Fricke come from last to win still takes my breath away. To see a rider at 60mph, staying as close to the wall for the last 2 laps (more dirt available, therefore, more grip) is either bonkers or supremely talented. Maybe both! When Somerset Rebels were on the TV, it was a case of spotting the crowd at times despite having the World Champion, Jason Doyle, in their team.

The sadness of this is that the National Stadium was only half full, if that. The annual British GP at Cardiff averages at 45,000 but even then there are empty seats. Contrast that with the Polish League and the stadiums have attendances that are higher than their football. 

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

It's so sad to see the lack of decent crowds at UK stadiums that make The Mem look like Wembley.

The purpose built Belle Vue National Speedway stadium ffom only a couple of years ago looks impressive. However, without the temporary stands it can only hold around 5000.

I have kept one of the greatest races ever featuring the Aces vs Swindon Robins in a play off. To see Max Fricke come from last to win still takes my breath away. To see a rider at 60mph, staying as close to the wall for the last 2 laps (more dirt available, therefore, more grip) is either bonkers or supremely talented. Maybe both! When Somerset Rebels were on the TV, it was a case of spotting the crowd at times despite having the World Champion, Jason Doyle, in their team.

The sadness of this is that the National Stadium was only half full, if that. The annual British GP at Cardiff averages at 45,000 but even then there are empty seats. Contrast that with the Polish League and the stadiums have attendances that are higher than their football. 

Great post from someone that also has your passion for the sport 

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Good point that it always looks amateurish and budgets are always kept quiet with the top riders more relying on good sponsorshp to pay for their engines etc. I guess all riders would be on a flat starting rate plus bonuses on top rather than sole payment for the points scored as the lesser riders who score low wouldn't be able to make a living.

it an exciting sport when you watch it live and it makes you wonder why an earth anyone what want to do it considering the injuries they get.

If you're a rider, your contract will basically be based on if you don't ride, you don't get paid. Most riders, therefore, will have 3 teams. Jason Doyle would ride one day in Sweden, the next day might see him in Poland before flying back to the UK to ride for whoever has signed him that season.

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

If you're a rider, your contract will basically be based on if you don't ride, you don't get paid. Most riders, therefore, will have 3 teams. Jason Doyle would ride one day in Sweden, the next day might see him in Poland before flying back to the UK to ride for whoever has signed him that season.

That's why it's such a tough sport to make a decent living as the travelling alone would be very tiring 

13 minutes ago, h hills left shoe said:

It was when they were in the elite league a couple of seasons ago! And you can stand on terracing with a pint whilst watching the racing!

And the owners are a credit to any sport. The fact that they were farmers so had land is one thing but to build a track and then run the team is another. If only they could own land right next to Bristol. 

12 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Jason should have been back in the UK riding for Ipswich this season having been lured out of retirement. His dad was my favourite. First saw him ride for Newport before that team became Bristol Bulldogs.

Phil used to live in Nailsea. There's a ridge, Morgans Hill, that runs from the Grove Sports Centre (is it still called that? Should have been named the Adge Cutler Sports Centre). One morning all I could hear was that fantastic sound from a Weslake or Jawa engine. It turned out Steve Gresham and Phil were testing out bikes.

I went to the last ever Speedway final at Wembley in 1980. Steve Gresham was testing a bike in the nearby car park and he wasn't even racing that night! However, his fellow American Bruce Penhall did race and won the title.

BTW, the freebie satellite channel Eurosport has the contract to show live UK Speedway this season. BT Sport has the rights for the World Championships. For those that don't know, it is run like F1 these days with a number of Grand Prixs. Speedway is still thrilling to watch and an ambition of mine is to go and watch a GP in Poland plus see the Bulldogs race again with former 3 times World Champion Tai Woffinden being the captain!

The Poles love Speedway and have purpose built stadiums for it (check out Torun's). 

Morgans Hill used to be part of our school cross country runs. Then along Youngwood Lane and up the feckin hill again.

Just in case you didn't know....Eurosport showed all 5 rounds of the European 2020 Championships culminating in last week's decider.

Britain has a new European Speedway Champion! Arise Sir Robert Lambert. He rode superbly and thoroughly deserves the automatic place for next year's Speedway Grand Prix, as a reward. 

Archived