IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

A Yorkshireman goes to the vet with his little Yorkshire Terrier and says to the Vet "can you sort the dog out", the vet says "what's the matter with it", well he says "its a swallowed a condom", "oh" he says "well that's priority that is, you go home, make yourself a nice cup of tea and I'll let you know as soon as I've sorted it". "ok great" he says and off he trots back home. 10 minutes later the vet gets a call from the dog owner and says "yeah about that condom", he says, "forget about the condom because the wife's just found another one in the bedside cabinet".

Good day to one and all from a rain soaked Malaysia. Football mad they are here. I have done a sort of straw poll amongst taxi drivers and I have a level of dissatisfaction to report that 4 out of 5 are Manchester United fans. The fifth guy, rather interestingly, was a Sheffield Wednesday fan and was waxing lyrical about Trevor Francis and, when I told him my team were playing them and, 'down the road', Rotherham a few days earlier started off on a ritualistic verging on unhealthy obsession with one Chris MacGuire. By the end of the taxi journey i felt I knew more about him than most City players. He played for both Rotherham and Wednesday with a 1 in 4 strike rate for the latter, not so successful for a later stint with the former and now plays for Oxford United. Completely irrelevant save for the fact that 1 in 5 (of my) Malaysian taxi drivers knows a fair bit about a footballer who used to play for two teams we are up against in the next 4 days. I just found that a rather jolly little moment of coincidence. And, moving along, since I have written a fair bit about Rotherham in at least 2 earlier match day threads I felt I had too little material buzzing around my head.

So, ad lib it is.

May I suggest that those marvellous souls making the rather arduous journey to South Yorkshire today pay a visit to the Florence Nightingale Pub on Moorgate Road. I believe it should still be there and is where the Classic Rock Society was formed in 2009 and has had the likes of Rick Wateman, Steve Hackett from Genesis, DJ Bob Harris, Rod Argent, Dave Cousins, Fish, Gordon Giltrap, Dave Greenslade, Roger Hodgson, Carl Palmer (Emmerson Lake & Palmer), Dave Pegg and John Wetton (Asia) as patrons and presidents. The society is still going strong and Rotherham has rather become the go to 'base camp' for rockers of all ilks with regular concerts and get togethers. Focus, Glenn Tilbrook, Magnum, ex-members of Whitesnake and Bad Company, Springsteen guitarist Nils Lofgren, It Bites, The Groundhogs, Climax Blues Band, Judie Tzuke, Sam Brown, members of Supertramp and a whole host of big name progressive rock bands from the UK and countries such as the USA, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Norway, France, Belgium, Germany and others have performed, often quite regularly, in Rotherham.  One such band with a big reputation today is Californian group Spock’s Beard and their first ever UK show was for the CRS in Rotherham. Marvellous.

The New York Stadium is gonna be rockin' with 700 City fans today is it not? No more Neil Warnock or, sadly, Neil Redfearn it may be but with 22 wins for them and only 15 for us, bizarre that is, we are due a win in South Yorkshire; not since 1995 have we beaten Rotherham in their home town. 1-3. Has to be. Enjoy the game and bring back happy memories. UTC.

Joke attributed to John Cooper Clarke while performing somewhere in South Yorkshire, possibly Rotherham.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Our biggest game of the season in footballing terms so far IMO... We didn't know what to expect from our August league games, but if we want to progress as a club teams like Rotherham should be the teams we are looking to take 3 points from.

Looking forward to today, going into a game expecting to win, with their form to date and us on the back of a good second half versus Villa

Are we expecting Tammy to be fit?

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

May I suggest that those marvellous souls making the rather arduous journey to South Yorkshire today pay a visit to the Florence Nightingale Pub on Moorgate Road. I believe it should still be there and is where the Classic Rock Society was formed in 2009 and has had the likes of Rick Wateman, Steve Hackett from Genesis, DJ Bob Harris, Rod Argent, Dave Cousins, Fish, Gordon Giltrap, Dave Greenslade, Roger Hodgson, Carl Palmer (Emmerson Lake & Palmer), Dave Pegg and John Wetton (Asia) as patrons and presidents. The society is still going strong and Rotherham has rather become the go to 'base camp' for rockers of all ilks with regular concerts and get togethers. Focus, Glenn Tilbrook, Magnum, ex-members of Whitesnake and Bad Company, Springsteen guitarist Nils Lofgren, It Bites, The Groundhogs, Climax Blues Band, Judie Tzuke, Sam Brown, members of Supertramp and a whole host of big name progressive rock bands from the UK and countries such as the USA, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Norway, France, Belgium, Germany and others have performed, often quite regularly, in Rotherham.  One such band with a big reputation today is Californian group Spock’s Beard and their first ever UK show was for the CRS in Rotherham. Marvellous.

I wonder what Fish drinks like?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Their home form is ok, they are atrocious away.

I'd be happy with a point.

2-2.

I won't be happy unless we take all 3 pts, two tough games to follow in quick succession where we could well get nothing, this is the game to gets some points on the board and ensure we are still in top half come 5pm next Saturday. Today will be a good test of how far LJ has really taken us forward.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I won't be happy unless we take all 3 pts, two tough games to follow in quick succession where we could well get nothing, this is the game to gets some points on the board and ensure we are still in top half come 5pm next Saturday. Today will be a good test of how far LJ has really taken us forward.

I wouldn't say that, with all the changes to the squad it will be a few games in before this group start to really develop as a team I think.

So Lee has had sleepless nights over his team - my guess presumes Tammy not quite there but worth the risk on the bench and Korey in squad but not starting :-

ROD

Little - Flint - Magnusson -Golborne 

ONeil - Pack

Patterson - Tomlin - Bryan

Engvall

Subs : Fielding, Ekstrand, Reid, Smith, Freeman, Abraham, Wilbraham.

Shows you the dilemma  with some good players not even in the 18 !!

Edited by Neo
1 minute ago, Neo said:

So Lee has had sleepless nights over his team - my guess presumes Tammy not quite there and Korey in squad but not starting :-

ROD

Little - Flint - Magnusson -Golborne 

ONeil - Pack

Patterson - Tomlin - Bryan

Engvall

Subs : Fielding, Ekstrand, Reid, Smith, Freeman, Abraham, Wilbraham.

Shows you the dilemma  with some good players not even in the 18 !!

I wonder how bad that ankle injury of Tammy's was if he was playing 1 on 1 in the back garden with his brother (according to Lee on Radio Bristol). I think it was more about getting him an 11 day break for the first time in 3 years. I have to say that i was amazed at that, if Chelsea are so keen on him they are taking a big risk of burning him out. I agree about Smith, I think he will stick to a team close to the one that beat Villa, but he will have a very strong bench containing 3 internationals! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

A Yorkshireman goes to the vet with his little Yorkshire Terrier and says to the Vet "can you sort the dog out", the vet says "what's the matter with it", well he says "its a swallowed a condom", "oh" he says "well that's priority that is, you go home, make yourself a nice cup of tea and I'll let you know as soon as I've sorted it". "ok great" he says and off he trots back home. 10 minutes later the vet gets a call from the dog owner and says "yeah about that condom", he says, "forget about the condom because the wife's just found another one in the bedside cabinet".

Good day to one and all from a rain soaked Malaysia. Football mad they are here. I have done a sort of straw poll amongst taxi drivers and I have a level of dissatisfaction to report that 4 out of 5 are Manchester United fans. The fifth guy, rather interestingly, was a Sheffield Wednesday fan and was waxing lyrical about Trevor Francis and, when I told him my team were playing them and, 'down the road', Rotherham a few days earlier started off on a ritualistic verging on unhealthy obsession with one Chris MacGuire. By the end of the taxi journey i felt I knew more about him than most City players. He played for both Rotherham and Wednesday with a 1 in 4 strike rate for the latter, not so successful for a later stint with the former and now plays for Oxford United. Completely irrelevant save for the fact that 1 in 5 (of my) Malaysian taxi drivers knows a fair bit about a footballer who used to play for two teams we are up against in the next 4 days. I just found that a rather jolly little moment of coincidence. And, moving along, since I have written a fair bit about Rotherham in at least 2 earlier match day threads I felt I had too little material buzzing around my head.

So, ad lib it is.

The New York Stadium is gonna be rockin' with 700 City fans today is it not? No more Neil Warnock or, sadly, Neil Redfearn it may be but with 22 wins for them and only 15 for us, bizarre that is, we are due a win in South Yorkshire; not since 1995 have we beaten Rotherham in their home town. 1-3. Has to be. Enjoy the game and bring back happy memories. UTC.

Joke attributed to John Cooper Clarke while performing somewhere in South Yorkshire, possibly Rotherham.

Condensed Version

Rotherham:

If you want to shag a dog in Rotherham it will steal your condom.

Apart from that its still a shithole.

City to win 2-0

• Like 2

Eventually I think we'll see something like this:

O'Donnell

Moore      Flint        Magnusson    Bryan

Smith       O'Neil

Patterson      Tomlin    O'Dowda

Abraham

But I can't see Moore being quite there yet, so expect Little to start. Also Wouldn't think Smith is fit enough to start yet, so expect Pack in there. 

Edited by P'head Red
4 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

O'Donnell

Smith       O'Neil

Abraham

But I can't see Moore being quite there yet, so expect Little to start. Also Wouldn't think Smith is fit enough to start yet, so expect Pack in there. 

So what you're really saying is this......

O'Donnell

Little      Flint        Magnusson    Bryan

Pack       O'Neil

Abraham

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So what you're really saying is this......

O'Donnell

Little      Flint        Magnusson    Bryan

Pack       O'Neil

Abraham

Oddly enough yes....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

O'Donnell

Smith       O'Neil

Abraham

But I can't see Moore being quite there yet, so expect Little to start. 

Got to say that that team is exciting but if I'm honest I can't see there being a chosen 11 as such, like LJ has said it will be horses for courses but with a strong spine of ODonnell, Flint and Mags, ONeil then Tammy.

Anyway, on to today, first away game for me this season and for me the start of working out where we could end up. At the moment my prediction is still anywhere between 3rd and 18th. Win today and that will go up to anywhere between 3rd and 15th. Impossible to tell when you have the previously unheard of pattern of playing 5 new teams in the first 5 games. 

Hoping for 3 points and a first clean sheet of the season, 2 0 City Tomlin & Paterson both assisted by Tammy, who unlike his predecessor, looks like he can spot a pass.

COYR

@havanatopia and @BigTone  join forces in some sort of weird , twilight zone comedy duo.  It works :blink:

Saw a TA tweet saying glad to get back to training so I hope he's fit enough to at least be on the bench. Didn't hear of GA's niggle so it makes it hard to guess the line up. Nice having options all over the pitch now, also I'm not used to Saturday mornings with this level of optimism , long may it continue.

City win 2-0 , Flint to score first :fingerscrossed:

Can we beat Rotherham? Of course. Should we beat Rotherham? Not so sure......

Aside from the fact we are usually crap up there, they've taken 4 points from their 2 home league games and 2 of their 3 away defeats were at Brighton and at Villa. Hard to gauge just how good or bad anybody is at this stage of the season. 

I'd be happy with a point.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, I Am A Cider Drinker said:

Got to say that that team is exciting but if I'm honest I can't see there being a chosen 11 as such, like LJ has said it will be horses for courses but with a strong spine of ODonnell, Flint and Mags, ONeil then Tammy.

Anyway, on to today, first away game for me this season and for me the start of working out where we could end up. At the moment my prediction is still anywhere between 3rd and 18th. Win today and that will go up to anywhere between 3rd and 15th. Impossible to tell when you have the previously unheard of pattern of playing 5 new teams in the first 5 games. 

Hoping for 3 points and a first clean sheet of the season, 2 0 City Tomlin & Paterson both assisted by Tammy, who unlike his predecessor, looks like he can spot a pass.

COYR

Kodjia assisted tammy away at burton for the 94th minute winner...

Assuming everyone is available for selection LJ has got some tough decisions today:

- Little or Moore, probably Litts

- Pack or Reid, suspect Pack might get the nod as we try to go a bit more solid away

- Golbourne or Bryan, playing Bryan might be more attack minded, but allows another one of our wide-men to start, where there is probably the most contention for places

- Bryan or O'Dowda or Freeman or Paterson, for the two wide berths.  If Bryan starts on left, there's one from three on the right wing

Can't see Smith getting a start.

My team:

O'Donnell, Little, Flint, Magnússon, Golbourne, Freeman, Pack, O'Neil, Bryan, Tomlin, Abraham

Subs:

Fielding, Ekstrand, Moore, Reid, O'Dowda, Paterson, Wilbraham

Not getting kit on:

Brownhill, Smith, Engvall - one not quite done enough yet, one still on the road to fitness, the other has been carrying a knock.  If I had to swap 2 of them into the 18 it would be Reid and Wilbraham to drop out.  Would be a bit of a kick in the nuts to Reid.

Expect LJ will think differently...also think he'll be doing a fair bit of man-management along the lines of "2 back to back away games, 3 games in a week" type stuff, and expect the squad to be used over the next week, unlike last season.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I had a dream!! We lost 5.1, just putting it out there just in case we do, 'cuz no one would believe me if we do, and then I said I had this dream....

Not a good hunting ground for us, never won at the new ground, and never beat the Millers for 25? years away, so let's re-write history lads.

City 1-3  

21 years, was the year I was born.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming everyone is available for selection LJ has got some tough decisions today:

- Little or Moore, probably Litts

- Pack or Reid, suspect Pack might get the nod as we try to go a bit more solid away

- Golbourne or Bryan, playing Bryan might be more attack minded, but allows another one of our wide-men to start, where there is probably the most contention for places

- Bryan or O'Dowda or Freeman or Paterson, for the two wide berths.  If Bryan starts on left, there's one from three on the right wing

Can't see Smith getting a start.

My team:

O'Donnell, Little, Flint, Magnússon, Golbourne, Freeman, Pack, O'Neil, Bryan, Tomlin, Abraham

Subs:

Fielding, Ekstrand, Moore, Reid, O'Dowda, Paterson, Wilbraham

Not getting kit on:

Brownhill, Smith, Engvall - one not quite done enough yet, one still on the road to fitness, the other has been carrying a knock.  If I had to swap 2 of them into the 18 it would be Reid and Wilbraham to drop out.  Would be a bit of a kick in the nuts to Reid.

Expect LJ will think differently...also think he'll be doing a fair bit of man-management along the lines of "2 back to back away games, 3 games in a week" type stuff, and expect the squad to be used over the next week, unlike last season.

Think we may go five at the back today, with the new Swede in.