IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

28 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I had a dream!! We lost 5.1, just putting it out there just in case we do, 'cuz no one would believe me if we do, and then I said I had this dream....

Not a good hunting ground for us, never won at the new ground, and never beat the Millers for 25? years away, so let's re-write history lads.

City 1-3  

Agreed... It's gonna be a Yorkshire Ripper...

1) W 2-1

2) W 2-1

3) L 0-1

4) L 0-1

5) W 3-1

6) it's written...

COYR's

• Like 1

This is a really interesting game by which to mark our progress as its:

1) against a team we haven't done well against 

2) the kind of game we should be looking to win these days

3) the first game when LJ (other than for Matthews and perhaps Smith) has to pick from a full/new squad

Team selection IMO will be:

Abraham

O'Dowa                        Tomlin                   Paterson        

Pack                O'Neil

Bryan    Magnusson   Flint    Little

O'Donnell

Subs: 

Fielding, Ekstrand, Moore, Smith, Reid, Freeman, Engvall

Obviously would be delighted if we come back with three points; but critically let's not lose today.

Serious question so don't just shoot down as genuinely interested - everybody seems to want O'Dowda to start or certainly on the bench.

I know Oxford fans love him and I know he scored a nice header in the week - but is he actually that good? Apart from one game i saw him go at defenders quite often (I'm not good with opposition, dates etc); when he is on the pitch since he seems to spend more time dropping deep and passing backwards and not getting into advance positions or running at defence - is this just instruction or what?

Genuinely not seeing it yet so interested in what I'm missing - albeit in a short period of games?

• Like 1

Going by the way we are getting so good at keeping things under wraps these days I expect Tammy to either start or not be in the squad at all as the injury will be either worse or much more minor than we`ve been told. Keep the opposition guessing.

I also wouldn`t be surprised to see Taylor Moore at RB as he shouldn`t need to have to get up to speed and it would make us more defensive down that side. IIRC Jonson Clarke-Harris plays wide left for them and he is quick.

The big loss for them is Matt Derbyshire, of all the games/highlights I saw of Rotherham last season he seemed to be involved in anything they created.

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Serious question so don't just shoot down as genuinely interested - everybody seems to want O'Dowda to start or certainly on the bench.

I know Oxford fans love him and I know he scored a nice header in the week - but is he actually that good? Apart from one game i saw him go at defenders quite often (I'm not good with opposition, dates etc); when he is on the pitch since he seems to spend more time dropping deep and passing backwards and not getting into advance positions or running at defence - is this just instruction or what?

Genuinely not seeing it yet so interested in what I'm missing - albeit in a short period of games?

I like what I've seen of O'dowda so far. 

He's an upgrade on Freeman, IMO. And will only get better. 

The new recruit I'm looking forward to seeing and hope for good things from is Patterson. He can be a very good player on his day. 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he may be in the long term, but I haven't seen it yet.  Freeman contributed more in the Villa match than O'Dowda has so far...

I disagree. I thought O'dowda showed Freeman exactly what he should have been doing when he came on, with his more direct style. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think he may be in the long term, but I haven't seen it yet.  Freeman contributed more in the Villa match than O'Dowda has so far...

I presume you were watching a different game, O'Dowda was far brighter when he came on. Barring a nice bit of play leading to a tame shot in the first half, Freeman did very little.

17 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I presume you were watching a different game, O'Dowda was far brighter when he came on. Barring a nice bit of play leading to a tame shot in the first half, Freeman did very little.

Very different game by the time O'Dowda came on.

City were already 2-1 up and very much in the ascendency.

Much easier to shine when your team are on top.

The hard work to get on top had been done in the previous 67 minutes, and Freeman played a full part in that.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Am I the only one concerned about the Yorkshire Terrier - hope it's alright.

I once had a pickled egg stuck in my throat so have every sympathy for the little blighter.

Those hard whitish things in your mouth are called teeth and you could try using them before attempting to swallow a whole pickled egg . 

Unless it was for a dare of course .

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The good news is that with LJ not remotely afraid to make a sub early on he can make a decision based on who's going to affect the game most.  I'm pretty happy with either starting with the other a very useful Plan B. Both Callum and Luke have a part to play and it's a long way from previously looking at the bench and thinking 'I hope no one get's injured'.

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

40 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very different game by the time O'Dowda came on.

City were already 2-1 up and very much in the ascendency.

Much easier to shine when your team are on top.

The hard work to get on top had been done in the previous 67 minutes, and Freeman played a full part in that.

Agree with you NTB, thought Freeman had a decent match, and believe it or not, him and a Little combined well down the right hand side.