IGNORED

The Official Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Thread (Merged)

6 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Shit happens, a season is 46 games, 1 games doesn't dictate a season, as long as players can get over it. It'd be interesting to know what Johnson done in the changing room afterwards. I'd guess he said very little.

LJ intimated (BCFC Player interview) that he'd blanked the dressing room as it wasn't the right time.

My take on what he said in his piece was that

ROD

Flint

GON & Tomlin were all on the naughty step.

Tammy looked distraught but spoke like a Gent. Really felt for the lad

Some of Mark Perrows questions are beyond comprehension at times. He really does come out with some utter shit.

''So Tammy, Could you have ever thought at HT that you would go on to lose the game after how the 1st have panned out?'' :grr:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, New2City said:

Even an hour later, I am still wound up and unable to express anything.

I have a fully fledged, fully operational monk on!

Stuck on the otherside of the world,  with a prospect of not going to bed for another 8 hours.

It's a long day to get beat with the last kick of the game.  

CTID

• Like 1

On my way back from the game now. We just conceded far too quickly in the second half. If we could have got to 65-70mins mark, we'd have no doubt got at least a point as the Wednesday fans were on their backs at half time. 

The first half we were in complete control without being on our A game, was sure that if and when Sheffield Wednesday would up their game, we could up ours but sadly it wasn't meant to be. 

The minute of pack being brought down, their player sent off, tomlin missing the penalty, them countering and O'Neil being sent off could quite possibly be the craziest minute of football I've ever witnessed especially with city and this is city we're talking about. Changed the game so much, just knew we'd get punished as soon as it hit the post. 

Magnusson, Tammy, Brownhill and Pack impressed me tonight. On to Saturday's game..COYR!

Edited by BS3rich
  • Like 4

Hi, a Wednesday fan here. Just thought I'd make a few comments about the game tonight. To begin with, I don't think City deserved to lose. In truth it was a bizarre evening from start to finish, with monsoon rain and water cascading off the visitors' stand like a waterfall. I think that Johnson got his tactics right. The standard way to play Wednesday is to block up midfield, thus forcing them to play it long down the middle, and to get down the flanks and get crosses in. Wednesday's fullbacks tend to be adventurous, so doubling up is politic, and the centre halves are weak on crosses. I think that in the first half City stifled the Owls midfield very well. Wednesday have technically good midfielders, but there is no bite there when Hutchinson plays in defence. In the first half I thought Bristol played really well and executed Johnson's plan to a T. After half time Forestieri came on, and that made a difference. He's the best player in the team...when he's on his feet...and he's a difficult player to play against. Missing the penalty was significant of course, but penalties are a lottery. I think the real turning point was when Bristol went down to ten. Ten against ten suited Wednesday far better than eleven against eleven because it gave Wednesday more time and room to get their midfield passing going. Had City missed the penalty but kept eleven on the pitch then I'm sure that they'd have got something from the game, and possibly all three points. The winner was harsh on City, but City fans don't have much to worry about in my opinion. The club's come a long way since the opening day of last season, so it's all good news. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by Athelwulf
spelling
  • Like 13
6 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

still miffed we didn't give the penalty to Abraham. 

This is all agreed pre match, they are professional footballers and I'd have been even more pissed off if they had gone against the manager instructions like last season.

Over the last 2 games we have been 2 hit post's away from bringing back 6 points, it's not all doom and gloom.

7 hours ago, cityexile said:

Can you imagine the flack he would rightly get if Tammy missed and we then dropped points? Game was in the balance, he is our designated penalty taker, he had to take it.

Almost fluke'ish the reobound. He hits it over the bar, we still have 11 players!

If anyone gave him flack after the way he played, they'd deserve to be shot. However, I accept its down to opinions

5 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Rewatching the highlights of the game for their 3rd goal can someone tell me what on earth Korey Smith is doing, completely by himself not marking any player within 10 metres of him, no reason he couldn't have stayed with their goalscorer.

It looked like he pulled up as if injured. If so, we'll need Pack to do well on Saturday given O'Neil will be suspended.

10 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Hi, a Wednesday fan here. Just thought I'd make a few comments about the game tonight. To begin with, I don't think City deserved to lose. In truth it was a bizarre evening from start to finish, with monsoon rain and water cascading off the visitors' stand like a waterfall. I think that Johnson got his tactics right. The standard way to play Wednesday is to block up midfield, thus forcing them to play it long down the middle, and to get down the flanks and get crosses in. Wednesday's fullbacks tend to be adventurous, so doubling up is politic, and the centre halves are weak on crosses. I think that in the first half City stifled the Owls midfield very well. Wednesday have technically good midfielders, but there is no bite there when Hutchinson plays in defence. In the first half I thought Bristol played really well and executed Johnson's plan to a T. After half time Forestieri came on, and that made a difference. He's the best player in the team...when he's on his feet...and he's a difficult player to play against. Missing the penalty was significant of course, but penalties are a lottery. I think the real turning point was when Bristol went down to ten. Ten against ten suited Wednesday far better than eleven against eleven because it gave Wednesday more time and room to get their midfield passing going. Had City missed the penalty but kept eleven on the pitch then I'm sure that they'd have got something from the game, and possibly all three points. The winner was harsh on City, but City fans don't have much to worry about in my opinion. The club's come a long way since the opening day of last season, so it's all good news. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Very refreshing and Thank you , not even the tiniest ' gloat ' , very classy.

Can you explain why Wallace and Forestieri did n't start ? 

Seems odd.

• Like 1

12 months ago we were a disorganised rabble, getting outplayed and thumped on a regular basis. We've dropped points in the last few days where we have been in control of games and individual errors and a bizarre 60 seconds in particular have hit us hard. I think it's fair to say that we have moved on sufficiently where some hard work on the training ground will see us more than alright this season and that the hysteria on here is uncalled for.

• Like 2

At the start of the season I would judge that the majority of us would have said we would be happy with a mid table finish. Well guess what, mid table teams lose games as well as winning them. I realise the manner of our defeat was frustrating, but these things happen throughout the course of the season. We finished with 1 point from two games where but for a matter of inches, (Pattersons shot and Tomlins penalty) we could have had 6. We just need to dust ourselves down, cut out the errors and go again.