IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Derby County Match Day Thread

Good day everyone.

On the evening of April 20th, 2016 City lost this very same fixture 2-3 having gone one ahead through a certain Jonathan Kodjia. Of all the teams City have ever played in the 'Championship' (as opposed to Division 2) there is only one team who have beaten City more than Derby. That red blue team across the River Severn have scraped or cheated (!) their way past City no less than 8 times from 14 matches. Derby, with only a marginally worse record, have won 7, drawn 2 and lost 3. Considering our record against then Championship Leicester is won 4, drawn 2, lost 4 might we hope for an upturn in fortunes against another Pearson side? Undoubtedly my analogy is clutching at straws even if the signals are not pleasant; we have not beaten Derby since 2011 and have achieved only one measly draw in the last 5 league encounters; 4 defeats in a row folks.

For those wishing to review the thread back in April:-

Derby come to City today on the edge of the drop zone and the project Nigel Pearson took on has undoubtedly gone backwards in his quest to re-shape the team in his way. The proverbial 2 steps back 1 forward at the moment then. I cannot recall what type of game Pearson plays but a rather famous predessor of his said this; "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."   On the importance of passing to feet. One Brian Clough of course.

Either way City have to deal with the disappointment of Tuesday night. How many times have City, and many others clubs for that matter, not closed out a two nothing cushion? The way it happened was not only disappointing but a little worrying. We saw mistakes against Rotherham, albeit in reverse order of goals, and we saw them again on Tuesday. Is that just a coincidence or bad luck or something more worrying? Fortunately we have a very good goalkeeper now fit to play again and more competition for our first team defenders. Make no mistake though, O'Donnell is also a good goalkeeper. There is a fair dose of excitement swirling around Ashton Gate since the season kicked off and that match on Tuesday, even if was of such a fine margin, has tilted us into a slightly nervous and precarious spot that the table ably illustrates; drop points today and we will probably slide a little further, win and the positive talk will continue. A game of extremely fine margins.

On the other foot Derby will likely fall into the bottom three with a loss or even a draw and even though the days are early there will be nervousness aplenty in the East Midlands. A knife edge game then. 

Brian Clough said that he knew Rome was not built in a day because he was not on that particular job; Nobody has had a better record at Derby since Clough left the Baseball Ground in 1973. Dave MacKay did win a second league title for Derby in 74/5 but one could argue it was with the nucleus of the team Clough and Taylor built. And OK McLaren had a higher win percentage but it was 95 matches to Clough's 321 and of course he won nothing. Derby are on manager number 27 since Clough departed. Interestingly Lee Johnson is manager number 26 since Alan Dicks left in 1980. 

Since the heady days of a League title and a European Cup semi final Derby have largely flattered to deceive. They could, had the circumstances been right, gone on to do exactly what Clough did at Forest but a falling out with Derby Chairman Sam Longson put paid to that. And I have no doubt Derby could have gone to be a major force in English football, more than Forest, and the fans must look back on that episode as the watershed moment. Time will tell if Pearson can elevate them back to the top flight; endears himself to both the owners and the fans and, wins more trophies. Or, perhaps, the club will be looking for manager 28 before Christmas.

If ever there was a proverbial yardstick of how far we have come and, equally, how well we bounce back from adversity, this is that match.

21,750 in a safety certificate reduced capacity of 22,500 ? And btw when will that capacity receive the full 27k go ahead?

Enjoy the match folks. Lets get back to winning ways and play our classy football at the same time. Frankly, I think we fans deserve it.

2-0

That man up front and that big bloke at the back.  UTC.

• Like 14

Derby has scored only one all season so knowing City's ability to help clubs get back on track  it will be 0-3.

After the last 2 games we need a result. Also need to cut out stupid mistakes and if we do then should win 2-1.

• Like 2

Take great solace and comfort in this...

Whoever we've played, the opposition fans have been completely full of praise of the way we're playing. We must be doing something right. 

Derby are nowhere near as poor as their league position suggests. Let's hope that the choose to switch on after today. 

I think it'll be a draw. Which wouldn't be so bad. 1-1. 

I just pray that Tom Ince doesn't wake up this morning with a hankering for some Bristol meat.

Without checking back through their last few match reports, is he in their team at the moment?

Now we are back on home soil, and returned from our Yorkshire goal-fests, I can see us repeating the magic of the Villa game, minus 1 goal.

City to win 2-1.

Future England king Tammy to score again, and Reid to notch the other.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Their best defender (Shackell) is out, so Alex Pearce who was on loan to us last season plays, but so is our best midfielder...

As the OP says we have a very poor record against them, whilst their form so far has been simply awful.

Despite the BBC website's negative spin on our current form, "1 win in 5 league games", why stop there? (3 wins in 7 is equally valid), on paper we should win, though I can't believe that Derby are going to struggle this badly for much longer.

Team selection will be very interesting, I can't ever remember a time when we signed 4 new players and by a couple of games later not one of them had started a single game for us..

Wouldn't be too shocked by a 1-1 draw.

• Like 1

The Derby horse race was first run in 1780 and was going to be named after either the Earl of Derby or Charles Bunbury. Legend has it that it was decided by a toss of a coin. If the coin had fallen differently, The Derby would be The Bunbury. What has this to do with today's match?

Nothing. 

• Like 2

Everyone knows that it's a case of "when" NOT "if" Derby start banging in goals. Please just let them have one more off day first..!

A front 2 of Vydra & Wilson is superb at this level, added to Ince, Russell & others, they have real talent. Easily capable of dishing out a hammering. 

I fear the worst today, so I'd be ok with a draw on that basis. 

Can we strike back like a proverbial wounded animal and hand out a ruthless, polished, clinical drubbing of our own..? Now wouldn't that be nice..?! 

COYR! 

I'm worried about our defence. Only Blackburn and Forest have, like us, failed to keep a clean sheet in the league. We seem to be going in the wrong direction in that we were only conceding once in early games.

Hopefully Derby won't click today and we can actually play for 90 mins rather than the usual one good/one bad half.

I fear the collapse at Sheff may leave us with a confidence problem. If we get ahead that will help. Fearing the worst today but hope to be proved wrong.

55 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The Derby horse race was first run in 1780 and was going to be named after either the Earl of Derby or Charles Bunbury. Legend has it that it was decided by a toss of a coin. If the coin had fallen differently, The Derby would be The Bunbury. What has this to do with today's match?

Nothing. 

Which makes your post totally relevant to OTIB.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Interesting that for many on Otib the bubble of unbounded optimism has burst.

Reality has dawned.  We are a mid table side.  We shall have to fight for every point, even at home and even against clubs at the bottom of the table

Will we win, lose or draw today?  We could do any of those things.  

I would say ' yes ' to your question .

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone.

On the evening of April 20th, 2016 City lost this very same fixture 2-3 having gone one ahead through a certain Jonathan Kodjia. Of all the teams City have ever played in the 'Championship' (as opposed to Division 2) there is only one team who have beaten City more than Derby. That red blue team across the River Severn have scraped or cheated (!) their way past City no less than 8 times from 14 matches. Derby, with only a marginally worse record, have won 7, drawn 2 and lost 3. Considering our record against then Championship Leicester is won 4, drawn 2, lost 4 might we hope for an upturn in fortunes against another Pearson side? Undoubtedly my analogy is clutching at straws even if the signals are not pleasant; we have not beaten Derby since 2011 and have achieved only one measly draw in the last 5 league encounters; 4 defeats in a row folks.

For those wishing to review the thread back in April:-

Derby come to City today on the edge of the drop zone and the project Nigel Pearson took on has undoubtedly gone backwards in his quest to re-shape the team in his way. The proverbial 2 steps back 1 forward at the moment then. I cannot recall what type of game Pearson plays but a rather famous predessor of his said this; "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."   On the importance of passing to feet. One Brian Clough of course.

Either way City have to deal with the disappointment of Tuesday night. How many times have City, and many others clubs for that matter, not closed out a two nothing cushion? The way it happened was not only disappointing but a little worrying. We saw mistakes against Rotherham, albeit in reverse order of goals, and we saw them again on Tuesday. Is that just a coincidence or bad luck or something more worrying? Fortunately we have a very good goalkeeper now fit to play again and more competition for our first team defenders. Make no mistake though, O'Donnell is also a good goalkeeper. There is a fair dose of excitement swirling around Ashton Gate since the season kicked off and that match on Tuesday, even if was of such a fine margin, has tilted us into a slightly nervous and precarious spot that the table ably illustrates; drop points today and we will probably slide a little further, win and the positive talk will continue. A game of extremely fine margins.

On the other foot Derby will likely fall into the bottom three with a loss or even a draw and even though the days are early there will be nervousness aplenty in the East Midlands. A knife edge game then. 

Brian Clough said that he knew Rome was not built in a day because he was not on that particular job; Nobody has had a better record at Derby since Clough left the Baseball Ground in 1973. Dave MacKay did win a second league title for Derby in 74/5 but one could argue it was with the nucleus of the team Clough and Taylor built. And OK McLaren had a higher win percentage but it was 95 matches to Clough's 321 and of course he won nothing. Derby are on manager number 27 since Clough departed. Interestingly Lee Johnson is manager number 26 since Alan Dicks left in 1980. 

Since the heady days of a League title and a European Cup semi final Derby have largely flattered to deceive. They could, had the circumstances been right, gone on to do exactly what Clough did at Forest but a falling out with Derby Chairman Sam Longson put paid to that. And I have no doubt Derby could have gone to be a major force in English football, more than Forest, and the fans must look back on that episode as the watershed moment. Time will tell if Pearson can elevate them back to the top flight; endears himself to both the owners and the fans and, wins more trophies. Or, perhaps, the club will be looking for manager 28 before Christmas.

If ever there was a proverbial yardstick of how far we have come and, equally, how well we bounce back from adversity, this is that match.

21,750 in a safety certificate reduced capacity of 22,500 ? And btw when will that capacity receive the full 27k go ahead?

Enjoy the match folks. Lets get back to winning ways and play our classy football at the same time. Frankly, I think we fans deserve it.

2-0

That man up front and that big bloke at the back.  UTC.

Condensed Version

Derby:

Derby & Cardiff are all bastards. Havana likes to stick straws in his anal region (too much info old chap).

City 2-0 (Tammy brace)

This time last season I'd have snapped your hand off for a point. They're a very good side when they get going.

Things have changed with us, but I'm still conscious that come the end of the season Derby really ought to be ahead of us. 

Their goal drought won't last forever but I'm going for a 1-0 win with the clean sheet being far more important to us moving forward than the possible 3 points.

Their defensive record is impressive, and we really need to be more clinical than we have been and take our chances. However, their defence hasn't played a Tammy before...

The Ipswich manager owned up to mugging Derby mid week, where the balance of the match made ours against Rotherham looked balanced. Much better side than their early season form suggests.

Having said that still fancy us to nick if 2-1. More than anything, if we drop points, would like to think they it will be too decent goals, rather than shockers. More than anything, it has been the way we have conceeded goals in the last two games that has hurt, even more than the results. More clangers at the back and we will be in oh so familiar waters.

Edited by cityexile

Wouldn't it be great if we could reproduce the equivalent of the first half v Wednesday and the second half v Villa today?!

LJ's team selection is going to be fascinating.

The three games we've lost have all been by a single goal, so not sure where the heavy defeat predictions come from.

I think today we will win 2-1 with our winner coming from a PENALTY!