IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Derby County Match Day Thread

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

If  LJ stuck to the same formation you would be saying he has no plan B

Would I? Pretty sure I've never said that?!

I'm happy for us to switch to alternative systems if the game requires but my personal opinion is that our players would prefer to have the stability of a preferred starting system and the continuity of a settled team.

Tomlin's getting sharper and fitter which bodes well. Some sharp attacking runs from him today. We went gung ho and took risks in the last 20 mins which is why Frank had to make the saves he did. Deserved the goal. Feel positive considering the club we were playing. We are so much better than last season.

We lost the corresponding fixture last year, and sounds like another sloppy mistake cost us, with one notable change (Frankie starting) paying off, at least in the sense that he kept us in it - great to have two decent keepers jousting for a first team postion.

Not the best week results-wise, but probably valuable for Lee - knows much more about his squad, and with the cup game at Fulham giving him another chance to try combinations. 

Let's not forget; Derby are one of the fancied teams, who might have been on bad run but weren't a bad team.  We've no right to take points off them.

Good week now to assess what progress we are making - think we'll see most of the squad play a fair bit, and end it with a better understanding of who will be key going forwards.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Against Sheff Wed we lost a point to a goal in added time. Today we gained a point by a goal in added time. Swings and roundabouts. I would just like us to play with more structure and more consistency. Maybe then these last minute tragedies and last minute triumphs wouldn't happen.

But they typically will in this league. It's rare to be a comfortable margin clear at 90 mins in this division and thus the losing team generally goes overload against battered defences. 

Phew. Derby should have buried one of those chances they had when we were piling forward towards the end, but I think we deserved the draw. Tomlin was unlucky when his thunderous shot hit the bar and I thought at the time that our chance had gone, but our equaliser was a well worked goal.

Paterson looks like a good player.

Hope another mistake from Flint doesn't dent his confidence because overall he had a good game.

We need a clean sheet soon.  

Good sides begin with the defence and a good defence does not concede every game

Expect Ekstrand to be our first choice centre half by season's end, and expect Moore to play some part In cup game

Just a case of Lee getting the team balance right.

Sad, but not surprised, to hear negative comment about Fielding's kicking.  

Believe signing of Lucic is because we see him as first choice in 18 months two years time.  But who knows Max may make the step up sooner.

Edited by Ivorguy
Factual error

I thought it was a pretty dire game, similar to Newcastle game, we deserved the draw but I think it was probably a fair result considering the lack of quality from both teams, Fielding kept us in it really, although I'm concerned about the amount of mistakes Flint is making that result in goals conceded, but overall we didn't look in too much danger and there's obviously a lot of character in the team to keep going

It's been a lively week. Go to love the ups and downs of football. City remain...and will all season...a "work in progress". For those who can't get to matches and read the match thread, do have faith. Some of the ill informed posts in this thread are priceless.

It's not all perfect, we've made some daft mistakes, but the team play with heart and verve and very nicely at times. We've signed some very promising young players. Onward, and I suspect, upward.

• Like 6